Author Topic: Ebay auctions or not. P----d off  (Read 570 times)

Offline plong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Castlemaine Vic
Ebay auctions or not. P----d off
« on: April 13, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
Hey guys just venting some anger over an auction for a Gottlieb Sea Shore that most of you probably saw on ebay. I was the leading bidder on this machine with a lot lefton my bid. Next thing the seller takes it off because some one brought it before the auction ended. For F sake this has happened to me 4 times now. I can understand if there is no bids on it thats ok,when people have bid its not right as there is intention to buy. Your thoughts Cheers Paul

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Ebay auctions or not. P----d off
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
Agree its very annoying has happened to me plenty I hardly use eBay anymore everything is pissing me off about it lately

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
yep,
E-bay used to be a daily look-see
now it is once a week

once you have filtered the dealers out and finding something local, you are left with either over priced games or they pull the auction early

Sucks

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
This practice should be banned - once there is a bid always thought listing could not be pulled.
Also ban the term 'advertised elsewhere - auction may end earlier'
The way ebay is now, it isnt really an auction but a BIN without the BIN price.
Was under the impression once you place a bid,you own it if there are no more bids. Maybe they need to stipulate there is a reserve.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:09:31 PM »
if there is no bid then fair enough, but as soon as there is a bidder then it shouldnt be pulled early. sellers can always nominate a starting price so there is no excuse for pulling an item if you dont like where the bids are at because that is your fault not the bidders

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
eBay and PayPal fees are out of control, can't blame sellers for wanting a private sale. Last pin I sold on eBay cost me, wait for it......$434.14 in eBay and PayPal fees. If the buyer would have contacted me we could of both saved some money.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »
eBay and PayPal fees are out of control, can't blame sellers for wanting a private sale. Last pin I sold on eBay cost me, wait for it......$434.14 in eBay and PayPal fees. If the buyer would have contacted me we could of both saved some money.

Precisely... great place to advertise, crap to sell on. If you are interested in a pin then ALWAYS contact the seller privately, very few insist on seeing the auction through to the end

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »

Precisely... great place to advertise, crap to sell on. If you are interested in a pin then ALWAYS contact the seller privately, very few insist on seeing the auction through to the end

I am with you guys, the fees are ridiculous.
If you are keen on a local machine ask the seller for a viewing and go round there with a trailer and a pocket full of cash
Money talks bulls@#t walks

Offline dazza

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »
I was tempted to bid myself but didn`t see it today.

The last pin I got from ebay had a buy it now for $2500.
The seller sold it to me privately minus ebay costs $2250.

I`ve missed out on 10 pins over the last year from pulled ebay listings.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »
eBay is a advertising site these days. Same machines, with the same inflated price tags from the usual suspects. When games are relisted over and over, buyers lose confidence in the seller as their stock does not move.

I'm not sure what the recent Embryon was sold for (as it was pulled), but a customer / friend of mine was willing to pay over $2500, and another - $3000.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
eBay is a advertising site these days. Same machines, with the same inflated price tags from the usual suspects. When games are relisted over and over, buyers lose confidence in the seller as their stock does not move.

I'm not sure what the recent Embryon was sold for (as it was pulled), but a customer / friend of mine was willing to pay over $2500, and another - $3000.

eBay have created this situation with their fee structure.
Add to that some of the turkey's who buy on eBay and it's no wonder why these listings get pulled

Marty Machine

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »
Complain to Ebay, it's against their policies for members to trade 'on the side'....at least you can get the seller removed/restricted as part of your venting :-)

The least the seller could do is contact the current winning bidder and say "i've been offered $XX, can you match it? otherwise i'll need to end the auction" as some form of courtesy.

As for ebays fees always on the rise, their latest move to encourage sellers NOT to charge for postage is a real ball-tearer.
They will actually take the postage fee out of your account *IF* you continue to charge postage on items you sell....They say offering free postage encourages more people to buy...Pfft!!

Hopefully ACCC will jump on this and cancel it, but the concept is only a week old, so probably a few months before they get canned again.

Ho Hum...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:08:24 PM by Marty Machine »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »

eBay have created this situation with their fee structure.
Add to that some of the turkey's who buy on eBay and it's no wonder why these listings get pulled

Yep.. free to list.. expensive to sell. Cant blame people for exploiting the system to suit themselves.. Ebay have done it and so why not the sellers?

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »
Also ban the term 'advertised elsewhere - auction may end earlier'

That is banned, you cannot advertise items listed for sale elsewhere or items you do not have (in stock so to speak)... Report the listing and it will be removed in most cases....
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Marty Machine

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
- Gumtree only costs to list items, which is quite cheap (at the moment), like $10 for a $2k pinny etc....
Sadly Gumtree is owned by Ebay, so it's bound to screwup sometime with fees etc.

- Quicksales is totally free to list/sell (you can pay fees to get your ads "featured" and so on), but overall it's FREE for standard ads.
Currently NOT owned by Ebay, but it's only a matter of time...Ebay buys up anything that looks to become a threat to them....ala sold.com.au, tradingpost.com.au etc etc

If Gumtree & especially Quicksales can just get a larger buyer audience and more items then they should take off and leave leave Ebay to suffer....fingers crossed!

MM