Author Topic: E-GO Transport Quote - What did I do wrong?  (Read 291 times)

Offline soundasleep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
E-GO Transport Quote - What did I do wrong?
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Normally I used Transdirect to ship parts and flatpacks around the country, which means they actually go with either Couriers Please or DHL.

So this is the first time I've had to ship "a complete pin" so I jump onto Transdirect and generate two quotes, one if I ship it upright on a skid, the other if I bubblewrap it with legs on, and then remove the legs and ship them as a separate package (so 1x "heavy carton" and 1x tube).

The prices were approximately $550 on a skid, or $475 as a carton, not including any need for a hydraulic tail lift at either end (adds $75 per end). Now this is insured (except the glass) and seemed quite reasonably, but since so many of you guys have mentioned using E-GO before (and I know that's how PBSP ships their projects and shopped pins around the country using E-GO) I thought I'd get a quote from there too anyway.

Not totally keen on actually using E-GO as I have a friend who ships 100's of parcels, big and small, each month (performance car parts importer) and he suggested in some rather blunt terms NOT to use them - but I wanted to see how they'd compare.

HOLY CRAP! Point to point (no depot deliveries) and they wanted $800 as a "heavy carton" or $1100 on a skid. WTF?!?

Are E-GO trying to dissuade people from using them for certain freight types, or did I do something wrong? I entered exactly the same weight/dimensions as I did with Transdirect. Those prices are insane!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: E-GO Transport Quote - What did I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »
Door to door is much more expensive with Ego. Always put it as depot to depot, on a pallet.
Recent pin ship from Bris to Melb for a CENTAUR was $96 and I increased the size to make sure everything was covered.
$1100 sounds way excessive, but Ego prices do fluctuate quite a bit ive noticed

Offline soundasleep

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »
Before I entered the details it did say Depot-to-door or door-to-depot was 25% off and depot-to-depot was 50% off.

Out of curiosity I'll try again Depot-to-depot.

The problem is I have no way of transporting a pallet/skid without hiring a trailer or a ute. And if you seen Melbourne weather lately? ;)

Offline soundasleep

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:01:06 AM »
There must have been a glitch - I've just tried it all again and gotten a much more reasonable price around $300 - and that's door to door.

Offline soundasleep

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 01:29:44 AM »
Can't seem to modify my posts...

Seems like a great price until I saw it doesn't include any insurance. That's a risk I'm just not willing to take.

By the time I add in insurance the price ends up almost the same as Allied!

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:43:58 AM »
Where is the pin located? I'll have a go at what comes up from my end

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:49:15 AM »
try http://www.uship.com/au/

Especially if you want a door to door pickup
Ive been using these types of services for about a year now.
This sort of transport bidding for your business type of websites are much better than the old way of organizing a courier.
you might have a company that has a partial load to your area that will offer cheap shipping with insurance and all that.

uship is one of many good sites that help get fast qoutes.

Offline soundasleep

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:24:23 AM »
4_amusements_only: It was a glitch, have a look up a few posts - quote was around $300 which is much better, but without insurance.

UShip looks like an interesting service. In this particular case I need to get it to them before the long weekend, so I've arranged a special run. Road trip!

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
I have been using e-go without any problems for a while now.  Last machine was $253 from Perth to Albury - depot to depot.  I have a feeling that their insurance only covers to $1000 but I may be wrong.  Half the battle is making sure the machine is packed and labelled correctly as being FRAGILE - CONTAINS GLASS or similar.
Addicted to pins.

Offline guyricho

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
4_amusements_only: It was a glitch, have a look up a few posts - quote was around $300 which is much better, but without insurance.

UShip looks like an interesting service. In this particular case I need to get it to them before the long weekend, so I've arranged a special run. Road trip!

Sites like "uship" and "truckit" rely on the companies bidding to get the job and when they bid the company leaves their shipping options eg
open or closed transport, how much insurance they can offer and so on

You leave feedback after they do the job similar to how ebay so the companies really do try and give you good service as they need the good feedback as it will effect them getting jobs in the future.

I have been using these sites for about a year now after an ebay seller recommended them to me when i couldn't go pick up the item and needed to arrange a courier at the last minute.

You post where you need it picked up from, where you need it dropped off at and at what time.
then the couriers and transporters around the country look to see if that matches their schedule and if they have room to fit the job in.

Its does save you a tonne of money especially if you want it door to door service

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
I would count on any insurance you might include in an E-Go price as being 100% WORTHLESS!!!

I have read so  many nightmare stories of people trying to claim insurance from E-Go and basically giving up.

If it's THAT important that you need to insure it - use another company IMO.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline soundasleep

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and stories. I think if I was shipping an old shopped (not fully restored) pin I'd risk using E-GO and just pack it *really* well.

But I build these cabinets by hand  - they're my babies. Looks like I'll be using Allied, but this first one is being delivered personally.