Author Topic: where did you play pinball as a kid?  (Read 6012 times)

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
where did you play pinball as a kid?
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »
I,m just curious as to where everyone went to play pinball in their younger days. I grew up in the western subs of Melbourn and can remember riding my pushy to a roller skating rink about 5 ks away just to play pinball. The rink was in Maribyrnong across the paddock from highpoint city shopping centre. I think it was called Sasha's. that was in the late 70,s to early 80,s. I. also played at timezone and jupiters in melbourn cbd. it would be interesting to know if anyone played pinball at the same places at roughly the same time.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: where did you play pinball as a kid?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:20:49 AM »
Across the road at the fish and chip shop
Local bowling alley
Arcade down the road (also where I bought my first machine)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:39:14 AM »
I played pretty much where ever I found a pin , IF I had the $$ LOL

Takeway shop across the park from High School was a hangout
George St Cinema's , the George St Arcade strip , the Big Top etc

Was only saying the other night at a Pinball league night its such a shame that most of us never took any pics, but how many of us actually had access to a camera or could afford to get the film developed LOL
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:17:24 AM »

Was only saying the other night at a Pinball league night its such a shame that most of us never took any pics, but how many of us actually had access to a camera or could afford to get the film developed LOL

Yep, looking back, the games we played were practically out of the box
Centigrade, Mustang, Sinbad, 6M$M, Playboy, KISS, BK, Catacomb, Medusa, 8Ball Deluxe, Space Shuttle
Played them all when they were new and minty

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:19 AM »
Any joint that had pinball or bingo north of wollongong  *)*
And there were a few sleazy joints  !@)
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
The barber shop at Riverwood (Sydney suburb) always had about 4 machines. My first memory was playing Gottliebs from 1967. Roselands shopping centre had a huge Grace Brothers store which had a large pet department upstairs in the early 70s. Outside the pet store was a kids courtyard play area which had about 8 machines. I remember playing mainly Williams EMs there. Gulfstream, Superstar, Rancho come to mind.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
King St in Newcastle had Orbit arcade (like todays Timezone) which I am sure was owned by Mr Hankin as I think he still owns the building, also local fish and chip shops and then every year my family had a week holiday in Katoomba doing the bush walking thing and in the main street of Katoomba had a arcade as well as at the Skyway at the top of the cliff. Then at the local roller skating ring in the eighties, but no pins there about 5 hankin cocktail games - loved the donkey kong, galaxian, galaga. Blacksmiths Beach takeaway always had a couple of pins in the eighties - played surf champ and black hole alot there.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:41:36 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Zedman

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
Anywhere in the Sydney Hills district to Parra, Stratified and the City. Special mention for The Entrance in mid 70's, it musta had a dozen arcades.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »

Mostly in what was called Funarama in the middle of town. Big tin shed full of pins. Now a vacant block of land.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »
Introduction to pinball, local fish and chip shop aged about 8. When could travel further distances i spent many hours at Georges upstairs, or Charlies both in Sunshine and both sleazy gambling houses etc etc.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
Fremantle, White Ensign Club & Stella Maris in Queen Victoria st  and about 5 Arcades all  in Freo in the late 70's
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »
Downtown Hindley St Adelaide. Ground floor had the arcades/pinnies. Upper levels was the skating rink (later dodgem cars) and the shooting gallery plus remote controlled boats/cars.

Hindley St also had 2 Tilt Amusement Centres.

Being located in the seedier part of town, one of them was conveniently located next door to the Crazy Horse Strip club.

The illuminated arrow sign is still there and the building is now a nightclub on the upper floor, with a 24 hour convenience store on the ground floor.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:30:15 PM by pinsanity »

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
I remember them well,loved the giant hurculeas in the foyer.used to go to the all night skating lockin's.but grew up in glenelg,mainly played there.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
Gee all this brings back so many memories. i had a brownie camera back then and like so many others never thaught to take pics. I could always be found at the fish and chip shop in.   Avondale Heights playing the kiss or playboy pin. I think there was another place in the city called saturn. And a place near Moorabbin tech called Sams Amusements. I hope you all have fond memories of your childhood years playing pinball ^^^
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline justwedgeheads

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »
Anywhere in the Sydney Hills district to Parra, Stratified and the City. Special mention for The Entrance in mid 70's, it musta had a dozen arcades.   The Entrance was great,Parents had a holiday house there."Fulofun""The Esquire""Humpreys"(I think,Next to the trampolines)Travelling carnivals at xmas time.Mini-golf,pinballs.pooltables,shooters,baseball games,bowlers etc,etc