Author Topic: where did you play pinball as a kid?  (Read 5949 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: where did you play pinball as a kid?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
My very first game was an EM somewhere in Spain when I was very young. I can remember putting the coin in and pushing the button and when the scores started turning over to reset from zero I thought I was playing and it was fantastic....then my dad showed me how the ball and flippers worked.
After that it was Christmas holidays at the take away shops at Paynsville and then at Anchor Bell caravan park at Phillip island on holidays. From there I moved to the SS era with Kiss and Playboy ect ect at Brandon Park shopping center in Glen Waverley.
Come to think about it I've been an addict most of my life.

Offline ghali

• Forum Posts:
  • Kingsbury VIC
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
The one & only Golden Cue - Upstairs, Market Square Mall, Geebung
I imagine anyone my age & older from Geelong know it well.

THE place for pinball, pool, heroin, fist fights & firearms.
VUK you!

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »
Lmao %.% what more could u ask for? Oh hang on STRIPPERS
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
Pretty much spent my holidays playing games down at Rosebud.  There was a huge arcade / mini golf joint (actually there were heaps down the peninsula) and lots and lots of 20c coins went into the machines.

What really grinds my gears is years later (before I got back into pinball) the place had been sold and there was a spray painted tarp across the front with come in / make an offer on machines....Doh.   &^&

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
I can feel your pain. what a shame you didnt grab some.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:40 PM »
Pretty much spent my holidays playing games down at Rosebud.  There was a huge arcade / mini golf joint (actually there were heaps down the peninsula) and lots and lots of 20c coins went into the machines.

What really grinds my gears is years later (before I got back into pinball) the place had been sold and there was a spray painted tarp across the front with come in / make an offer on machines....Doh.   &^&
I remember that place
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
I used to play at Timezone in the city. Had a mate whose cousin worked there so he would give us free credits on any games we wanted. I remember when they had that Sega R360 game (a bit like Afterburner)where you get strapped in and could do 360's in the machine, was $5.00 or $10 a game back then - well if you were paying ;)

I distinctly remember playing Haunted House on location there back in the late 80's. I think that's why I want to own that game one day. In fact most of the pins I want to own are as a consequence of playing them in my younger days.

Offline saldejums

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
timezone on george st

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
In the workshop !

The only time I went "out of my way" was into the city, where there was a location that had a Haunted house, Spirit and Black Hole. I would actually catch a train and purposely play whichever of these three actually worked. The Haunted house worked better than the other two. They were there for many years, as I remember a Fire and Big Guns were NIB games on location.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline piesrule

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »

I remember those places at Rosebud well, one year we stuck 20c to the step at the front and spent the day across the road watching people trying to pick it up about 3 or 4 hours later the owner came out with a shovel and removed it.

Offline shedpinball

• Forum Posts:
  • Dover Gardens
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
Just looked through the thread and remembered how much i loved Downtown and Tilt in Hindley Street in Adelaide

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »
Lol Nino, you actually paid to play games. sure you wernt flicking the switch off and on really quickly to get max creddits for free like the rest of us  %.% %.% %.%

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
End of Brighton Pier but I would gravitate to the gun games and push penny machines more. When 13 my mates mum worked in EATS CAFE frying stuff and they had a Williams TRAVEL TIME in the window.. we would open it up and rack up free credits. Oddly enough, the Segasa version was the first pinball I owned. After those young days I found myself in many pubs in South London and remember LETHAL WEAPON coming out.. it was a cracking game back then. from there, the pins would change regularly but my favourite pub had ADDAMS FAMILY and TWILIGHT ZONE side by side.. both games then were like nothing else as what had preceeded them was PARTY ZONE...HOOK etc.
Place up the road had quite a few pins out the back and that's where I found the allure of BOP.. I still want that woman, its a great machine and really do need to add one to the collection

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »
 those young days I found myself in many pubs in South London and remember LETHAL WEAPON coming out.. it was a cracking game back then
--------------------------------------
I understand Retro

I just bought a LW3 for the same reason. My mate and I smashed the crap out of it! Many fond memories of better times!  
Scored a great clean up project from Joe and Gibo at KJWHF just recently and took a trip back in time.
I always said I would NEVER buy on nostalgia, oops.  ^^^
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:00:33 PM by oldskool1969 »
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
Lol Nino, you actually paid to play games. sure you wernt flicking the switch off and on really quickly to get max creddits for free like the rest of us  %.% %.% %.%

In the old days, we used to use 20c that had a black texta "X" on it. That way the money went back into the till. That was for locations that Dad had HIS games. He never operated SYS80 games, so I had to go into the city to play them. This was around 1981-83 ish. It might have been "Flashbacks" at the time. There was a stairwell wont to a basement level, and on the left was a MacDonalds and on the right was the arcade. Pinball was slowly be removed for the video games. I remember the 1942 games were against the wall as new arrivals. I never went near the videos. In the end, there were not many pinballs there, but I remember the SYS80s and the last time I went there, there was a new Big Guns and Fire. Some of my personal collection reflects those visits - Black Hole, Spirit and Haunted House. Then Fire and Big Guns.

As a younger child, we used to go to church on Sundays and then head across to a location Dad owned called "Delfino's" in Edwards St Reservoir. We used to get $1 each, and that bought a Mars Bar and a Polly Waffle. Then we could play pinballs until lunch time. I spent most of my youth there, as it was just up the road, and it was owned and operated by Dad. This was the location that got all the NEW games - Imagine NIB KISS, Paragon, Space Invaders, Star Trek, Mata Hari, Eight Ball etc etc - all new - were located here first. The KISS had it's first callout after 2 days. The cashbox was so full, it had blocked the coin acceptor. Great memories.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia