Author Topic: SPURR'S BANK A BALL RESTORE  (Read 1900 times)

Offline SPURR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
SPURR'S BANK A BALL RESTORE
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:46:25 PM »
GOTTLIEB 1965 This is a great EM game. Bought it on ebay last November it was in good condition. I didnt take any before photo's but what I have done is:
cleaned the PF then sanded the whole field with 1000 wet and dry. This brought all the colours up like new it also removed sun and yellowing. The whole PF was touched up with enamel coloured  paints where cracking and ware marks were. Then re sanded with 1200 wet+dry to remove new paint height. Im a fan of mylar so this is what I used.
Currently doing the BG lots of flaking mostly in the middle where a pool table is. This was caused by ; balls on the table would light up when a target got hit. IMO the heat from the lamps caused it. So to save time and money I will air brush the pool table this time I'll  paint the white and black ball's only and Im painting the table thin so that when back lite it will stand out unlike the original.
The fist pix shows I have just air brushed the shadows on the cusions dark green. Now I will paint the middle light green fading up to dark green this gives depth.

I also had to repaint most of the skin on all the people lots of flaking, The lady in red lost most of here boobs so I gave here a boob job making them a little larger while I was there.

Still got the cab to go nilly finished the back box might make it a little different by painting the eight ball on the front instead of a orange circle , pics coming soon ()

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: SPURR'S BANK A BALL RESTORE
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:56:28 PM »
F*ck me dead!

How awesome does this game look!

There is just something about these games that really gets me pumped!

You should be very happy with the results so far!

The only question is how will you reproduce the 'pool balls' on the backglass where you have taken the paint off?

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:42 PM »
Just a side note I have been wanting to buy the Bank a Ball that has been on eBay for the past few months but wont until after the seller sends some additional pix and answers my questions.....which he has failed to do after many email requests.

Then again - like I need another project from this era  #@#

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:03:25 PM »
Simply stunning. You should be proud of yourself. There is some awesome restoration work going on in these parts.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »

$$( $$(

I think the bar has been lifted AGAIN !

That playfield looks unbelievably fresh - even NEW. I WISH you had some "before" pictures, because that resto is just "top notch" Congrats.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »
Looks just stunning... I cant wait to get the CC onto my PF and bring all the colours forward.

The plastics look real clean too - are they originals or repro's? I cant find any repro's available for this game anywhere so im making my own...problem is that some of the existing plastic are repros already and so im making repros of repros.
Great work Spurr - its an awesome machine and your one is a premium example of a restore - if mine comes out that good - ill be happy!

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23:30 AM »
Spurr lives 5 mins from my place, and it is my hope to have him help me do something like this oneday. The machine is simply stunning. He has buffed everything till it shines like the sun, and those are the original plastics........he buffed them as well. The backglass looks awesome, just as good if not better than in the photos. The mylar he is using is great, I couldnt tell it was mylar and assumed he had clear coated the PF. C'mon Mark finish this because I want a game! No one has commented on Mark's use of philips head screws yet?
lol

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »
Just a side note I have been wanting to buy the Bank a Ball that has been on eBay for the past few months but wont until after the seller sends some additional pix and answers my questions.....which he has failed to do after many email requests.

Then again - like I need another project from this era  #@#
BANK A BALL was at my local hangout as a kid it was the oldest and in very poor condition compaired to all the lastest pins in a line next to it. But guess what   you never got to play it there was always money stacked high from people in line waiting to play it. In other words it shitted on all of the other pins that was there at the time. There's the SPECIAL right in the middle you dont have to loose it down the sides for a game where most Williams pins had. It was also the FIRST pinball that had return lanes on the PF. Ive played Sweet Heart's and other pins of its time and they didnt come close, so my advice to you is to buy it now ^&^

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »
Simply stunning     @@*

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »
BEAUTIFUL mate that playfield looks awsome and your doing a great job with the backglass aswell

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:06:12 PM »
Spurr,

What type of mylar did you use?  That really did come out well.

Also, did you do a full pf mylar - ie side rails off and over the thing 100%.  Also are you planning to give it a wax or leave as is?

Offline keg_guts

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:50:52 PM »
that is awesome #*#
beautiful looking piece of work

needless to say, if it ever ends up on the market  &&

steve <..>

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 08:16:17 PM »
Cant stop looking at these photos that playfield is stunning.  Is that really a mylar? It looks like its half an inch thick

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »
Spurr,

What type of mylar did you use?  That really did come out well.

Also, did you do a full pf mylar - ie side rails off and over the thing 100%.  Also are you planning to give it a wax or leave as is?
The mylar was given to me off a friend it was a thin and very glossy. And yes I covered the whole playfield it looks heaps better this way , all post holes were cut out with a scalpel in a compass. side rail were removed . Nothing should be mounted over the top of your mylar or it will lift !
Yes I used a car polished it . IMO all PF sould be waxed. One thing the gloss finish after the waxing was not has high gloss as was before waxing ?
I would use mylar any day over cear coating because there is much more chance for something going wrong painting it. eg paint reacting with new touch ups , orange peel efect , insects and dust , paint not sticking , very hard to remove if something does go wrong. I have clear coated one pin and about six I mylared.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
Mark thats a fan-bloody -tastic job you've done there.. I've been waiting for ages to see some of your handiwork.. definitely worth the wait ^^^ ^^^

I totally agree with everything you say about using mylar instead of clearcoating. EVERY one of my playfields is completely mylar covered, and i chose the mylar path for pretty much the same reasons you did.

I especially like the work you've done on the backglass

Well done.. Top notch in every way!!

Cheers.. Mitch