Author Topic: Playboy  (Read 4032 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Playboy
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »
taking shape,the flesh colour is a bitch to match.lol

thanks .. yeah Flesh colour is the hardest I reckon . Luckily the Pop bumper will help to hide some of it LOL.
Better than worn to wood anyway.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
for sure.keep up the good work
 $#$
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
What a great fun  game   good to see     Howzat

Offline badgap64

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
Great buy

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
I've been working on this game the past few days as my PBR order arrived last Thursday .
Finally finished the underside of the playfield .. stripped/cleaned each mech .. install new coil sleeves, new flipper kit, new flipper cabinet switches etc .

I wiped off the 1st touchup attempt and had another go which i think has turned much better ie.. skin tones matched closer, painted the missing part of the dress in (even though it turned out wrong LOL) , painted in the outline along the leg.. mimicked some of the surrounding graphics etc

Here is a pic of approximately what the eye will see without the pop bumper installed
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:45:18 PM by goodolddays »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »
Have finished stripping /cleaning/rebuilding all mechs on the underside of the playfield .
Installed new coil sleeves, new flipper kits and new flipper button cabinet switches .

The 2 top arch plastics were really warped, so stuck them in the oven for 7 minutes at 110 degrees C then under a couple of heavy books for a couple of minutes.. not perfectly flat now but a lot better

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »
Cleaned the playfield again with Novus 2 and have started reassembly .. already got a bit of a shine on it (should have wiped off the dust before taking the pic LOL)

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
Gday all.
Finally got back to fiddling with this game after a long break .
Last work I had done was replace and repin the connectors for the rectifier board .
Also replaced the rectifier board with one rebuilt by another AA member as my other one is original and needs rebuilding itself after all these years as voltages are missing/out of spec.
In my haste last time to power up and measure voltages I had forgotten to check resistance between active /neutral etc at the plug .
The design of these old Bally’s where the transformer is wired directly to the back of the rectifier board and active and neutral traces are beside each other is very bad IMO .
When I plugged it in with the rectifier board back in position inside the head there was a bang and smoke (oops) and it tripped the RCD in the fuse box .
I suspect active and neutral were touching because I had left too much wire exposed and had not taken enough care when I remounted the rectifier board .
Anyhoo .. the game has sat untouched for around 13 months till today .
Today I reterminated active/neutral wires on the rectifier board and ensured they are separated when I remounted the board in the backbox.
Measured 10ohms between active and neutral at the plug so went ahead and plugged in J2 only (cabinet .. ie transformer) . (and J4 disconnected on MPU board)
Powered up with no bang/smoke and measured voltages on Rectifier board as
TP1 5.7V DC , TP2 170V DC, TP3 11.9V DC, TP4 6.65V DC and TP5 42V DC .. so all in spec

I then powered off , plugged in J1 (playfield) and J3 (G.I, solenoids etc) and remeasured test points

TP1 5.7V , TP2 234V , TP3 13.6V , TP4 6.5V and TP5 42.7V . Also checked C23 on solenoid driver board and it is well within spec.

About to do some reading but thought I would ask those here in the know .. is TP2 jumping to 234V normal ??

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 12:19:40 AM »

About to do some reading but thought I would ask those here in the know .. is TP2 jumping to 234V normal ??

Yepp thats quite normal  *%* *%* this is due to the input filter cap C26 in the HV regulator section. Your voltage on TP3 rose as well for the same reason (filter cap C23).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:24:01 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »

Yepp thats quite normal  *%* *%* this is due to the input filter cap C26 in the HV regulator section. Your voltage on TP3 rose as well for the same reason (filter cap C23).

Gday Mitch
Thanks for the reply .. good to know .

Offline Doug.H

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:26 AM »
 ^^^ great score going to enjoy watching this beauty come back to life

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 09:25:28 AM »
After I posted my question I realised all was normal so went ahead and plugged in CPU board and game booted up normally (has an Altech MPU board, the other boards are originals)

Found a few problems such as i had forgotten to solder the wires back on the lugs for the drop target reset coil LOL

Downloaded the schematics and realised I have a switch matrix problem to track down because flipper return lane switches, outhole switch, left POP bumper and Grotto are not scoring and associated coils not firing .
All these switches are on the same column on the switch matrix so will look into that issue when i have some more time .
Also need to check Display voltage .

I'm happy that the game is close to playable now instead of being dead as a dodo the last 13 months or more.

I could well have a connector problem because so far i have only replaced housings and repinned the Rectifer board connectors .

Also have a cab repaint to do with this game too .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:33:20 AM by goodolddays »

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »
Good to see your getting back into it, can't wait to see it finished
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
Good to see your getting back into it, can't wait to see it finished

Yeah me too  %.%

Well , had a bit more of a fiddle last night after work and found I have continuity on the switch return wire on all 5 switches and back to MPU board connector . Checked display voltage at 175V DC .. dropped it down to 150 .

Will check switch diodes while waiting on a parts order from RTBB including some .100 connectors (I only have .156 on hand)

Must pull my finger out now the weather is warmer and get stuck into the cab repaint methinks .

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »
For anyone interested .. repinning the relevant wire on the switch matrix connector fixed the issue .

Game is now working .. just need to pull out the standup targets to clean/adjust and fix a couple of globes that are out.

When time and motivation permits I will repin the rest of the switch matrix connector as well as all the other connectors to improve reliability.

Next big job on this one will be a full cab respray .

This game is probably a keeper as it is one from my arcade days  ()