Author Topic: Replacing WMS fuses - these ones OK?  (Read 7924 times)

Offline Dluth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Replacing WMS fuses - these ones OK?
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »
So F116 blew in my IJ and I want to try and get a new one before the weekend. It is a 3A slow blow fuse. Can anyone tell me whether one of these from Jaycar will do the trick (hoping to go down there at lunchtime today). Otherwise I will get the ones from RTBB but I don't want to wait for the mailman.
The thing that worries me is they are measured in mm and this is a US game - so they may not fit.

3A 3AG Slow Blow Fuse  (6.35 x 30mm)  http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2230

3A M205 Slow Blow Fuse (5 x 20mm) http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2230

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Replacing WMS fuses - these ones OK?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
I do not know if they will fit, but Homepin sells a packet of asorted fuses that are the right values for pinball machines

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
So F116 blew in my IJ and I want to try and get a new one before the weekend. It is a 3A slow blow fuse. Can anyone tell me whether one of these from Jaycar will do the trick (hoping to go down there at lunchtime today). Otherwise I will get the ones from RTBB but I don't want to wait for the mailman.
The thing that worries me is they are measured in mm and this is a US game - so they may not fit.

3A 3AG Slow Blow Fuse  (6.35 x 30mm)  http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2230

3A M205 Slow Blow Fuse (5 x 20mm) http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2230

Without looking in the manual the first one should fit, the second one is a much smaller fuse.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »
The first link is the one you want for IJ.

They will fit but they will sit on the loose side in the holder as they are slightly narrower in diameter.

Or you can wait and order the correct diameter fuses from rtbb who carries the US style fuses.

Have you worked out why the fuse blew and corrected it first?

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »
RTBB sells fuses in packs of 5

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »
The first link is the one you want for IJ.

They will fit but they will sit on the loose side in the holder as they are slightly narrower in diameter.

Or you can wait and order the correct diameter fuses from rtbb who carries the US style fuses.

Have you worked out why the fuse blew and corrected it first?

What diameter are the US style fuses?

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
It is a minimal difference between the two.

If it is noticeably loose, then a solution is to bend the clips closer together with a pair of needle nosed pliers and it should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:55:41 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
An excerpt from my book:

"Because pinballs are usually American made machines, fuses used in DMD pinballs are 1¼  x ¼ inches or about 6.3mm x  31.75mm - in most other countries the industry standard 3AG types measure 6mm x 30mm and this is very likely what you will be able to buy locally.

Keep this slight size difference in mind when replacing fuses as the clips that hold the fuse may need to be bent in slightly to accommodate the marginally smaller diameter part."
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
when is the book on sale?

Red

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
when is the book on sale?

Red

Still in the works - not a high priority I just nibble away at it in my spare time.... %.%

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
Guess the Movie and Musical are a ways off then,

Red

Offline Dluth

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »

Red

Haha  %.%
I can confirm the 30mm fuse fits fine, thanks for the pointer. It's amazing what problems a blown fuse causes  @.@
It blew when I added a LED lighting mod.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »

Red

Haha  %.%
I can confirm the 30mm fuse fits fine, thanks for the pointer. It's amazing what problems a blown fuse causes  @.@

Some mods draw a lot more current than you might expect. Just because it's "LED" does NOT mean it draws little current. Many of those LED strips can draw several amps. This should be checked before using things and slapping them onto a machines power supply that was NEVER designed to take extra loads - in fact most machines are flat out supplying the boards in them as it is without adding more stuff.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »

Red

Haha  %.%

Some mods draw a lot more current than you might expect. Just because it's "LED" does NOT mean it draws little current. Many of those LED strips can draw several amps. This should be checked before using things and slapping them onto a machines power supply that was NEVER designed to take extra loads - in fact most machines are flat out supplying the boards in them as it is without adding more stuff.

Aaaah - Thank you!!.. Even a sparky told me the other day that leaving the LED sign I made on all day would cost the customer " F*ck all"... I had to correct him as the 60W power supply will actually draw close to 100W.. not a lot, but not quite " f*ck all" either.