Author Topic: Williams Indiana Jones The Adventure Restoration  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Looking good

Offline vett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
looks better than new. great job and thanks for on going updates. good info

Offline Dluth

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Nice work - good luck with the big side decals.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Very nice work and I'm glad to see you have trimmed the decals with a sharp knife. This is often forgotten !

Now on to the HARD part - and make sure you have a helper !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
They look well lined up. Good job. When you do the cabinet decals watch out not to get water on the bottom panel of the machine. It doesn't take water well as I found out the hard way.

Yep spot on - tape up the underside so water doesn't get on there.

Looking great!

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Thanks guys for all the positive feedback #*#

Decals are finished - 95% happy with the job - there are a few tiny bumps, beats me how they got there, but WOW it's done.

My helper, my Wife, made her watch Rob's video first, only difference she's not pregnant !Worked really well, and to be honest was easier than expected ( yeah I know I'll bite my lip after that one!)

Wet method worked a treat, giving you that little bit more time to smooth out any imperfections.

Started to re-assemble, with my aim not to repaint the coin door - big mistake, it looks crap!

So my next question, would love some thoughts and suggestions on 'how to restore' the coin door.

Its' in pretty good condition, no major chips, just dull and lifeless compared to my shinny new decals and painted gun.

I have read from Nino, use Knights Satin Black from Bunnings. It is now stripped and cleaned, the original hammered finish(?) is still intact. Do I just spray over it?

Pics to come, thanks Guys

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Together it comes :D

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Nice

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Who made these decals?

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
I wondered how long it would take before someone noticed these Decals are not genuine! Well done.

I purchased these from overseas, knowing full well they were a repo, and for the price, took the risk. It was less than half the price of genuine and nearly 3 times the saving to the latest increased price!

They are not perfect, and particularly noticeable on the left side where bolt holes would have lined up with the i in Indiana. But the front coin door decal lines up perfectly top and bottom with the sides -genuine doesn't do that.

I tested off cuts with various cleaning fluids, and the good news, none of them removed the print. It was only when I tried thinners it took the lot off!

The machine is a keeper, if I was restoring to sell, genuine would have been the only way to go. In any case, the improvement over what is was is huge, and at the end of the day, I'm happy :D

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
They look fine, and like you said at least on this version the artwork lines up around the corners.

No one is going to pick it out unless they can put one set against the other like I could to do a comparison.

Can't blame you for going the less expensive repro route, since the apparent "last sets of genuine" anywhere are listed for $700 on ebay (with an industrial printer conveniently shown in the background of the seller's photo #@#).

There's no real practical reason why genuine should be $700, apart from the fact that the new Bally/Williams licensee doesn't want to pay the $50,000/3 year license to Lucasfilm! (The first license fee was $20,000 for 2 years.)

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Coin door question???

Satin black enamel base, and gloss enamel splatter effect.

Leave it as is, or do people apply a clear over the top.

Cheers

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
No clear on the door. The original finish was a flat base and semi gloss splatter.

Those "genuine" IJ decal sets will encourage the "pirate" sets again  @@^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
Protip - An old toothbrush dipped in paint and then flicking the bristles with your finger achieves the splatter effect.

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
My splatter I used a spray can with the nossel just barely depressed, causing it to blow rather than spray....YouTube video .....yeah I know

If genuine decals were priced at some reasonable amount I'm all for it.

It is just a pity that a such highly rated pinball machine such as IJ and the fact it's original decals were crap and faded, Lucas films is dictating the cost of restoration. ^.^

My next project ??? My ST TNG decals 297 genuine. Will be purchasing , but 500-700 bucks, for the last ones ever , REALLY  ^%^ ^%^