Author Topic: Stern re-release Ironman  (Read 2459 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Stern re-release Ironman
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »
Just for something different, a thread about a new machine full of negativity.  

Spot on mate and it's the "SAME CLICKY GROUP" I put it down to jealously get over it guys!

Do be bloody serious.. Stern re release a title and its open to discussion. You will have your opinion and I will have mine. Jealous of what? An overpriced remake of a pin that has supposed to have stopped production?

Tron Spiderman TSPP LOTR and Batman have all been re done if people want them why not do them!! Now with IM being done with a few modern upgrades it's a positive! Pinballs alive and well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:41:33 PM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »
Don't take my comments as negative though I can see how that could be viewed.

If I was cashed up, I would buy it in a heart beat, dam fast and fun game, that is tougher than you think with that one more game feeling. I had it for around 2 years and clocked over 1500 games, you and your son will love it John as well as others keen on it - congrats.

For anyone thinking of getting it ensure you get a sub upgrade and shaker, this game is so well suited for these features especially the shaker  ^^^.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:55:46 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2014, 10:57:55 PM »
Tron Spiderman TSPP LOTR and Batman have all been re done if people want them why not do them!!

Point taken.. and it has merit. but, I am of the belief that if production has ceased then it should remain so. Its a Stern thing and like many Stern things, I don't much like it and that is mainly because pinball is now a collector based market and like any collector based market, people are prepared to pay for what they want. its what makes the exchange of one title more expensive than another.. numbers and desirability. Same with records except with records a re release is always that and the original retains its value. There aren't many records that will fetch $5K.. there are plenty of pinball machines that will though and a re release will by and large drop the originals value and collectability. I am trying hard to NOT be a Stern basher when I post but we are like chalk and cheese and I personally view this as a slap in the face to those who hunted hard and found themselves an IM.. which is a great playing game ( yes ive played it and it whipped me). I like IM... not cluttered, good flow etc. would I own one?..No... would I rather see Stern come up with a new title??..yes

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
Yeah thanks Peter. On its way next month. I'll put some pics up when it arrives. My little fella can't wait. He loves ironman.
IM is a beaut player, you will love it. Should be even better with the LEDs. Good purchase!
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »
Tron Spiderman TSPP LOTR and Batman have all been re done if people want them why not do them!!

Point taken.. and it has merit. but, I am of the belief that if production has ceased then it should remain so. Its a Stern thing and like many Stern things, I don't much like it and that is mainly because pinball is now a collector based market and like any collector based market, people are prepared to pay for what they want. its what makes the exchange of one title more expensive than another.. numbers and desirability. Same with records except with records a re release is always that and the original retains its value. There aren't many records that will fetch $5K.. there are plenty of pinball machines that will though and a re release will by and large drop the originals value and collectability. I am trying hard to NOT be a Stern basher when I post but we are like chalk and cheese and I personally view this as a slap in the face to those who hunted hard and found themselves an IM.. which is a great playing game ( yes ive played it and it whipped me). I like IM... not cluttered, good flow etc. would I own one?..No... would I rather see Stern come up with a new title??..yes

If they were re releasing LE's then I'd agree as there a limited edition but there doing the pro version, look at Tron that's been done 3 times and the first runs are still worth good money they've hardly dropped in price and any great title will most likely do the same and the same can be said for TSPP and LOTR. Now your not doing a good job of not being a stern basher your up there with the best :-)

Peter

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2014, 11:19:59 PM »
I don't understand the resistance to a re-run of a commercial machine built to make money? Stern is a company. Their goal is to make money. They make pinball machines. They have a production line on which they make their machines and in between major production times, they re-run a machine. At the moment, these standard model machines had low production numbers and demand is there (communicated from distributors and now hobbyists direct via the Internet) for a re-run of Iron Man.

My biggest frustration in being an Australian pinball hobbyist at the moment is having to hunt down a machine that was only made in the past ten years and then paying close to brand new prices because these base models are scarce. I don't collect pinball machines as an investment and neither do my friends in the hobby. There is an option to purchase Limited Edition machines and I believe that they should stay limited. I don't believe that base model machines should cease production so a small percentage of the hobby can covet their "rare" machine in their garage.

I can't afford an Iron Man re-run, but I'm stoked for the people that get the chance to own this game and I hope I now get a chance to play one. I live five hours from both Sydney and Melbourne and I haven't been able to play Iron Man since its initial release when a retailer had it in their showroom. Maybe in the future, I'll be able to buy one more easily than I would now. This is a good thing for pinball. More machines is a good thing for everyone. We are a part of a hobby centred around "amusement" machines. Let's bring the amusement part back, people!
 :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:35:11 PM by delarge »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23:34 PM »

I do try to excel in everything I do..LOL

If they were re releasing LE's then I'd agree as there a limited edition but there doing the pro version, look at Tron that's been done 3 times and the first runs are still worth good money they've hardly dropped in price and any great title will most likely do the same and the same can be said for TSPP and LOTR. Now your not doing a good job of not being a stern basher your up there with the best :-)

Peter

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2014, 11:29:56 PM »
l know the remake thing is somewhat contentious but how is it any different to anything else that we buy in life? Cars, motorbikes, boats , anything technology based all get updated and the previous model decreases in value.

Ironman was never described as a LE machine. We now know that stern may update and upgrade a title and re-release it. Honestly, if you buy a pinball machine with the thought of it making money then you are probably in the wrong game. If stern were to re-release a LE machine then that would be wrong.

If there is clear demand for something and they have the opportunity to enhance and upgrade that thing, as we expect with anything e.g. a car, then why not do it.

End result is that a good machine is going to be made better and will be available to those that may not have been able to get one or who weren't comfortable paying inflated prices for it.

Gav if you made a neon for someone and as a result his mates asked for the same thing and then more people asked for one would you turn down the business?  Nobody in business would.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:22:54 AM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2014, 03:55:15 AM »
I have made the decision to not buy (sadly) as I love the game but since I am still in my contracted probation period (6months) I just can't risk spending my spare cash on a game of that value.

If you ever want to sell your congo to help fund a IM purchase let me know mate.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2014, 07:44:59 AM »
I have made the decision to not buy (sadly) as I love the game but since I am still in my contracted probation period (6months) I just can't risk spending my spare cash on a game of that value.

If you ever want to sell your congo to help fund a IM purchase let me know mate.

thanks, but definitely not in the short term as just bought lots of fresh bits and it is stripped and getting a thorough shop now….

for pinball t-shirts

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
My 2 cents.

I love that Stern have re-released Iron Man.

When i first got into the hobby . I inquired to Amd about buying an Ironman , But Bruce said they were no longer available.

I was planning in starting a new Pinball Business, siting pins. I wasnt keen on Rolling Stones or Avartar at the time.

Anyway no pubs or clubs were interested in siting machines. So i decided to keep pinball as a hobby only.

But now with Iron Man re-release it has me thinking again. I would love to buy and site this pin. Would get a lot of new players in. Might have to see if a can get a venue to commit to 12 months.
As usually timing is bad for me no spare cash. Seems the story of me life at the moment.

Anyway...

More Iron Man pins out there has to be a good thing!  Actually more of any new pins. Bring on the good ol'days of pinball .

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
There's no doubt that Operators as well as the Home market were part of Stern's decision. It is a very good one. Metallica was a huge seller, Star Trek didn't take off to the heights they would have expected and then there's there's the ford dealer's machine - Mustang, which no one outside a Ford dealership would be interested in other than a few ops. So I see Iron Man as another "run", and Stern have the right to do that. It was a Pro - if they re-run a "limited Edition" then I'd be VERY annoyed if I owned an LE. But Iron Man only had one version. So I think it is a great idea. It is not a remake. It is a re run. There's no new technology except finished code. I would seriously think of purchasing this title if they did a LE version, but the pricetag is still too high.

I think it is a strategic market decision. I have no problem with it.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
I believe Pinside was a big reason for the re-run as there has been alot of subjects of IM on there with a large interested party pushing that it would do well. Interestingly I sent a email to Bruce and Norbert yesterday morning at 7.20am in which I got a quick response from both stating they knew nothing about it. It was only around 8.30am did the info come through from Stern. So Stern kept the major Aussie Distributor in the dark when it was already selling in the US.

World on Pinside is all the US dealers have sold out already and the rumoured first batch is around 400 and people are hoping for another run later on???
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:12:49 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
I believe Pinside was a big reason for the re-run as there has been alot of subjects of IM on there with a large interested party pushing that it would do well. Interestingly I sent a email to Bruce and Norbert yesterday morning at 7.20am in which I got a quick response from both stating they knew nothing about it. It was only around 8.30am did the info come through from Stern. So Stern kept the major Aussie Distributor in the dark when it was already selling in the US.

World on Pinside is all the US dealers have sold out already and the rumoured first batch is around 400 and people are hoping for another run later on???

Yeah it's selling very fast overseas and I've heard only 20 allocated to Australia? You better get one Jady and fast  ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
There was 2 versions of IM
Standard and the ccostco version