Author Topic: Stern Galaxy Restoration  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Sinbad79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern Galaxy Restoration
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »
Thanks,

I'll try be as detailed as needed and hope i dont give away too many 'trade' secrets along the way.
If you have any questions, ask away.

A note on the stencils, they were made by tracing the artwork onto tracing paper, then having office works scan in the image as a digital file.
File was then vectorised in illustrator and sent to a printer.

Still more work to do, but can start to see the end now.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
Spent an hour or so this morning puttying and sanding the areas i missed last time, then sprayed the cabinet.
I am a little annoyed that the grain in the plywood is visible through the paint, so i have decided to block back the paint, and then give it another couple coats to fix it. Will need to let the paint cure over a good couple days before im ready to respray.

Pics attached.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
And...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
Sometimes you have to "bite the bullet" and primer undercoat the cabinet to see if there are any imperfections like the grain, knots or delaminating. Looking at a bare wood cabinet does not always tell you enough about your repairs. It is like a new perspective once primed. Black will not hide the problems - so it is good that you addressed everything as soon as you noticed it.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:47 AM »
Yea that's right Nino, and further to that, while sometimes these things are visible under primer, its still difficult to tell if it will show through.

I think the problem here was the quality of the primer used.

I'll fix it, it just means more work.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:10:52 AM by Sinbad79 »

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Wanted to show you guys what a 'flat' paint job actually means. Sanding paint 'flat' is where all high spots and low spots in the paint or panel have been sanded even. The images below are during sanding, the high spots appear dull and uniform, whereas the low spots are untouched by the dander and hence are still glossy.

This is the process used to remove the visible grain in the wood, and given I've had to sand through in places, I'll be spraying another coat or two over these panels and repeating the sand process, but with 1200g and upwards. I've used a 400g through this process.

This one side has taken me about an hour to do, so yep, it's a great deal of work, and if restorers are going to this length to restore a cabinet, you can understand why they charge whatever they do.