Author Topic: why does everyone seem to use acrylic or 2 pack for cab resprays?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
As the title sugests, why does everyone seem to use automotive acrylic or 2 pack paints for cab resprays? Ive only ever used enamel paint untill recently and have noticed the BIG diferance in the amount of thinners used with acrylic paint. Apart from that acrylic is much more expensice. Apart from being near imposible to get a run with acrylic , what is so good about it that makes it worth the price diferance? I'm by no means an expert in differant paint qualities or longjevity (not even spelling) I'm just curious. !@#
Bren
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Personally, I use acrylics because that's what my father taught me to use. We have a restored Bally Bingo "Miami Beach" which was done 10-12 years ago and it looks exactly as it was the day we repainted it. There's no problem with using enamels - it is whatever you are comfortable using, I've never used 2-pac paints, so I really don't know the pros and cons. I just love working with acrylics as that's what works for me.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
If using acrylic lacquer then you can get a cab respray graphics done in a day easy.. enamels? Probably do one colour one weekend and the next on the 2nd weekend due to the long hardening times.
Acrylic lacquer goes on thinner too and gives a more authentic finish
But.. it is easier to match colours with enamels.
I only use enamels these days for any hand line work on a PF restore and will only use the small tins of Humbrol as the paint within really is top quality

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
I'm another fan of automotive acrylic, having been recently converted from using enamel. The acrylic is more expensive but using it i can do a full cab respray (including stenciling) in a day or so, as opposed to a week or so for enamel. I used to use rattle cans but i'm now using spray guns and air compressor now, its been a bit of a learning curve for me but its worked out well so far  *%*

My brother used to be a panelbeater/spraypainter and he gave me a few pointers on spraying/ guns to use etc, i was thinking of employing HIM to do the cab basecoats for me at one point  :D

I just did my last enamel cab paint a month ago, my Gtb Solar Ride that i repainted in the correct colours (i had previously done the stenciling with a wrong colour years ago). Only reason it was done in enamel is that i had bought the paint ages ago and wanted to use it and not waste it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:40:12 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
OK, I'm a little confused.

I know what 2pac is and I assume the spray packs you buy from Bunnings such as White Knight etc. would be enamel, so what is automotive acrylic and where does one get it?

Is acrylic more hard-wearing than enamel?

Offline dealers choice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
Hey Solar Value. Im not sure which is harder wearing. I just baught my acrylic from supercheap auto, autopro and most auto parts stores will sell it. just make sure you get more thinners than paint as its mixed at 1 part paint to 1&1/2 parts thinners. And if you want a better gloss use the premium thinners.Acrylic is extremely easy to use.
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!