Author Topic: Williams Whirlwind Reconditioning #2  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Williams Whirlwind Reconditioning #2
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »
Big Update - The game is already completed but I'm not "up to date" with my restoration threads  #@#

The Door often lets down a reconditioned game. I don't cover the door with masking tape and go nuts with paint, I like to restore the original finish and texture.

I clean and prep with primer / undercoat

I also paint the carriage bolts a gloss black and clear - something that is not factory, but it looks good with the door. I retain the original paint colur and finish. The door is a flat black and the specles are a semi gloss or gloss black.

The original plastics were broken, so Greg from RTBB was able to provide a repro set - with slight differences in the fonts and text size - but much better than broken plastics. Originally, I was going to install Cliffys, but the outholes were in great shape so I thought I'd add value somewhere else on the finished machine - so the plastics set was a good fit.

Game is reassembled for testing ;

Completed section under the playfield. All rebuilt with all new coil sleeves (all), globes and springs where required. The flipper kits a full and new sets.

Outdoor BLING Shots !

This side of the cabinet needed a fair bit of touch up work. The top of the cabinet was darker than the bottom. Very uneven fade, so I had to slightly change the color shade but it come out looking very good.

I think I should straighten the plunger housing !

I'm really pleased with the way it plays and looks - considering that the scope was a "reconditioning" and not a "restoration".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia