Author Topic: Williams Whirlwind Reconditioning #2  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Williams Whirlwind Reconditioning #2
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:28:04 AM »
I'm behind on my Restoration threads for many reasons, so I'm playing a bit of "catch up" with some work I've been doing. I particularly like Whirlwind, and this is the second I've done in 18 months. This game is reserved for a collector who has a couple of other titles I need to get cracking on as well. The game was recently "shopped", so it is dealer standard. But not good enough to put my name on it, so it needs the full treatment without going too deep into a restoration. It is a solid base game.

Condition Report

Cabinet - 7/10 - Structurally fine. There are some sections where there appears to be planking from storage in a warm area. I will touch up the areas. The back panel needs attention.

Playfield - 8/10 - Factory mylar that has been installed well after the game had been on location. There is ball swirl under the mylar and some inserts raised. Common on SYS9 / 11

Electrical / Electronic - 9/10 - Very clean boards. Electrical parts are very good as well.

BEFORE pictures

This is one of the first games started in the new building, so excuse the mess. Lots have changed since. The game works fine except the Power Supply needed repairs. I ended up replacing the components in the HV section.

You can just see the ball swirl in the orange sections. now the scope of this project is a "reconditioning", so the mylar will stay, but i will address the raised inserts.

Outholes are not smashed - so that's a sign that the game was not beat to death.

The ramps have me stumped. They are perfect. No damage, no cracks and perfectly clean. They are thicker than original, so it is quite possible they are PinballInc Ramps.

There is evidence of surface corrosion. A thin powder like deposit on metal parts. Easily removed when the components are disassembled.

Cabinet is completely stripped. Vacuumed and washed completely.

ALL moving parts are removed and inspected. This is a common step missed during a standard "shop job". They look fine, but only after removal and inspection will we find issues..

Here's a broken bushing. It was fine until I looked closely and found a hairline crack which broke under a small amount of pressure..

Here are the SIX pop bumper assemblies stripped, degreased, cleaned and tumbled. The ONLY way to have these working perfectly is to spend the time removing and disassembling. There is ALWAYS a problem with the assemblies..

Rebuilt with new coil sleeves. Metal yokes replaced where required.

Playfield is completely stripped. "Stripped" is a very loose term these days. This is a literally "stripped" playfield. No screws, posts or pop bumpers. EVERYTHING is removed. A really nice playfield is revealed.

This thread will be a short thread as the game is already being tested - but there's heaps more to come !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
Re: Williams Whirlwind Reconditioning #2
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:40:09 AM »
Nice work and a great game! A machine I was chasing but the seller never responded. Found another and accumulated parts for a restore. A well deserving title, best factory topper ever!

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:10:03 AM »
You missed 4 t-nuts :)

Great game, looking forward to watching this. I've got one in my queue as well.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »
You missed 4 t-nuts :)

Great game, looking forward to watching this. I've got one in my queue as well.

%.%

Cabinet Repairs

The rear of the cabinet had some problems. The major problem was near the rear leg mounts as it looked like the wrong legs were installed and they dug into the cabinet. There was also a lot of scrapes and scratches. I sanded and repaired the rear panell. Even though it is not seen, it is best to rectify these problems.

The paint match was close. It is not seen, so it will not be a problem. Looks better after repairs and repaint.

The lower cabinet is completely stripped and cleaned. The metal parts are tumbled or polished.

Cabinet hardware was repainted. The bolts are cleared after painting.

After the headbox is stripped, cleaned and re assembled, all the boards are removed, checked for faults and repaired and then I resolder all the connectors.

The fan is checked and cleaned

The topper is cleaned

While that was happening, the underside of the playfield was completed. ALL mechs are stripped, cleaned, polished and the coil sleeves are replaced

The spinner assembly is rebuilt and new decals installed

The playfield is dropped back into the game and I can continue with the top of the playfield

:D

Offline flippnaussie

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:42 AM »
I love these threads.
It makes me think I should do the same to my machine.
Dissasemble, clean, repair/replace, assemble.

How long does a machine normally take to do?

Simon.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
I love these threads.
It makes me think I should do the same to my machine.
Dissasemble, clean, repair/replace, assemble.

How long does a machine normally take to do?

Simon.

The game was presented to me as "dealer quality", which means 20 hours maximum with minimum parts. It looked good, but there were shortcuts everywhere, so I simply go through the proper process which will take around 35-40 hours. That's how long it takes to do a proper reconditioning. Although in total, it took my time and the previous tech's time, it is done properly. It certainly will play and look far better.

If you want to "have a go" at reconditioning or restoration, just take your time - it is not a race. Take photos and enjoy the process. I would not be doing it unless I loved doing it.

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »

[/quote]

If you want to "have a go" at reconditioning or restoration, just take your time - it is not a race. Take photos and enjoy the process. I would not be doing it unless I loved doing it.
[/quote]

I did not keep track of the hours I spent, it was more how many weeks/months.

The more photos you take the better, I even googled for other photos from other restorations to help with the correct positioning of parts - what you took off may not necessarily be correct -  a common problem on my IJ  *.*

Nice work once again Nino  ^^^

Offline billstats

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
 @.@looks good strange ,those pop bumpers will kick real nice once back on the playfield...
bill /sydney /pinballs

Offline Dluth

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the informative post, great reading!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 10:15:21 PM »
@.@looks good strange ,those pop bumpers will kick real nice once back on the playfield...

It is standard for all of my reconditioning jobs. All moving parts must work perfectly. It is a blast to play a game with 6 pop bumpers.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:30:37 AM »

The playfield is now placed back into the machine. The regrained metal guides are put back into place as well as the rebuilt pop bumper assemblies - which are my "pet hate" on standard "shop out" rebuilds commonly done.

All the parts are new. This makes a huge difference in the finished game.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »
Big Update - The game is already completed but I'm not "up to date" with my restoration threads  #@#

The Door often lets down a reconditioned game. I don't cover the door with masking tape and go nuts with paint, I like to restore the original finish and texture.

I clean and prep with primer / undercoat

I also paint the carriage bolts a gloss black and clear - something that is not factory, but it looks good with the door. I retain the original paint colur and finish. The door is a flat black and the specles are a semi gloss or gloss black.

The original plastics were broken, so Greg from RTBB was able to provide a repro set - with slight differences in the fonts and text size - but much better than broken plastics. Originally, I was going to install Cliffys, but the outholes were in great shape so I thought I'd add value somewhere else on the finished machine - so the plastics set was a good fit.

Game is reassembled for testing ;

Completed section under the playfield. All rebuilt with all new coil sleeves (all), globes and springs where required. The flipper kits a full and new sets.

Outdoor BLING Shots !

This side of the cabinet needed a fair bit of touch up work. The top of the cabinet was darker than the bottom. Very uneven fade, so I had to slightly change the color shade but it come out looking very good.

I think I should straighten the plunger housing !

I'm really pleased with the way it plays and looks - considering that the scope was a "reconditioning" and not a "restoration".

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 12:20:50 AM »
Loved the fan topper in the day, got rid of all the bloody smoke and kept your face cool.
ALLWAYS wanted a bubble machine on it for a laugh
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »
Wow that looks great top job Nino :-)

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
If you were to come on to the end of this thread and just see the final photos, you would be forgiven for thinking that Planetary Pinball have just announced their 'Vault Edition' Whirlwind.