Author Topic: e-bay/paypal currency exchange rate ?  (Read 547 times)

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
e-bay/paypal currency exchange rate ?
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »
Exchange rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 0.905600 US Dollars with them but  the real

current price is 0.94.mmm not happy ^&^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: e-bay/paypal currency exchange rate ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
Exchange rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 0.905600 US Dollars with them but  the real

current price is 0.94.mmm not happy ^&^

What is more annoying is the price in AUD shown on an ebay listing is always less than the price you get charged.
So ebay puts an "approx" price on the listing and paypal don not give you the same price, they charge you more.

I bought some items on ebay when the Aussie dollar was just above the USD and the listing showed that, but when I payed through paypal I payed more in AUD than the USD price, go figure that BS.

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
Paypal has always overcharged on the exchange rate, it helps make them MORE free money  !!!

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:00 AM »
What is really scary is that ebay now charges nearly 10%  commission on both sale price and postage combined. So if you auction something that goes for say $1 and the postage is $20.00 you pay nearly $2.10 for an item you sold for $1 and you then more if paid by paypal. But wait don't forgot packaging the thing and going to the post office. So ebay is real good value   *.*

Happened to me on an item that didn't take off in an auction so next time I'll either pull it off or lose it and cancel the deal
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:52:46 AM »
What is really scary is that ebay now charges nearly 10%  commission on both sale price and postage combined. So if you auction something that goes for say $1 and the postage is $20.00 you pay nearly $2.10 for an item you sold for $1 and you then more if paid by paypal. But wait don't forgot packaging the thing and going to the post office. So ebay is real good value   *.*

Happened to me on an item that didn't take off in an auction so next time I'll either pull it off or lose it and cancel the deal

That's why I'll never sell on FleaBay..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline soundasleep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:12:53 AM »
There is always a few cents difference between the BUY rate and the SELL rate, with the listed exchange rate sitting nicely in the middle of these two numbers.

Buy something overseas using your credit card and the same thing will happen.

eBay still has it's uses (like free advertising), and if you are going to sell there just make sure you include those costs in your calculations. I find listing items with "Free Postage" helps a lot.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
I find listing items with "Free Postage" helps a lot.

....and the buyers who truly believe that postage is free are EXACTLY the bogan morons that you DON'T want for customers! They will cause trouble, leave crap feedback and generally be a pain in the arse because eBay/PayPus encourage them to act that way.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline joele

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »

+1   - It is far from unique to ebay/paypal...

Though that said, I think ebay should be displaying the same conversion rate on the listing and invoice screens to the one paypal uses, since they are the same company and they pretty much force everyone into using paypal...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:59:08 PM by joele »
-----
Current - Dr Who, The Shadow, Judge Dredd, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Star Wars DE

Owned but Sold - Indiana Jones, Revenge from mars, Fish Tales, Tron Pro

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »

+1   - It is far from unique to ebay/paypal...

Though that said, I think ebay should be displaying the same conversion rate on the listing and invoice screens to the one paypal uses, since they are the same company and they pretty much force everyone into using paypal...
now that would be a fair thing, maybe an honest mistake on eBay's part  *.*. Now explain to me another service that forces you to accept a certain form of payment and calculates its fees based on sale price + postage. Maybe if they want to continue this, postage is free and ebay will post it for you. I think another  *.*
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 06:39:27 PM »
Yes, paypal is dodgy
but the bank will also charge you to exchange your currency

aint nufin for free

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »

Bloody ridiculous! As if they don't make enough money already  ::)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:50 PM »
I always find it humorous when going to the bank and paying in Euros or $US - The bank always asks "do you accept this rate, sir ?" - It is ALWAYS 3-4 cents lower than the current rate.

Paypal / eBay / banks and everyone else have to take their share of the pie.

Even WORSE are the "hops" when paying via Wire Transfers - All the overseas banks like to charge their $25 for allowing the funds to pass through their system. It is a joke !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »
In China, if direct depositing CASH into a bank account EVEN AT THE SAME BRANCH OF THE SAME BANK the account is held there is a "transfer fee" WTF!!!

It really irks me paying a few dollars to send a supplier money when I am direct depositing CASH notes directly at a branch of the suppliers own bank!!! That is complete BS and a straight out con.

If they tried that in Australia there would be an outcry.

I'll bet the Bank of China in Sydney doesn't try that on......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »
Huh, I pay bank fees
There are fees for using an EFTPOS terminal

Somebody has to pay for 'the system'

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
If they tried that in Australia there would be an outcry.

No there wouldn't.. people would just tell themselves that it could be worse and then just live with it and continue to watch the TV.

Huh, I pay bank fees
There are fees for using an EFTPOS terminal

Somebody has to pay for 'the system'

They recently tried to introduce bank fees in UK... it didn't go down well and led to many large protests on the street... the idea was canned. The "system" is quite capable of paying for itself through investment and by having people in the black not red. The whole bank system relies on the fact that we have our money "safely" stored there and that we will never remove it all at once... of course, the money isn't actually there.. its just a piece of paper to say that you put that much there and the bank "owes" it to you. They ( the bank) invest the money worldwide. Last year I "tried" to get a bank cheque for a house deposit out of my account... was quite clear that the bank viewed it as THEIR money and not mine and made it very difficult to access my funds.

The system is greedy my friend and when a bank boasts increased PROFITS of over $6billion for the first 6 months of the year, you can feel secure knowing that it will never be enough. EFTPOS is a great example... bank can employ less people and make a huge saving and then charge per transaction on EFTPOS and make more profit.. win win bank!