Aussie Pinball Forums > Bally / Williams

Congo - Mods

(1/4) > >>

swinks:
first mod is more or a functional rather than for looks.

This part was designed to strengthen the base of the VUK chute that sits within the volcano of the Williams Congo Pinball. The metal chute has 3 lugs that allow the chute to be fastened to the playfield and on my machine one lug had cracked so now it had a weak point. This support cradles the 3 base lugs and the screws still go through them as well as putting some slight pressure around the chute base as it tapers in towards the chute bracket. This pressure then stabilises the chute better and reduces the chance of a lug breaking if it hasn't broken yet. Apart from white you can select a volcanic colour like yellow, orange or red but it can't be seen underneath the volcano. I hope this helps either stabilising the chute if a lug is broken, cracked or prevents a chute mounting lug from breaking. This is a cheaper option than purchasing a new chute when they are available.

For installation the Congo Pinball Volcano Chute Base Support slides over from the top and will be firm as it is tapered on the inside as it needs to apply pressure to the bracket for stabilisation. once located simply screw down into place so now any vibrations due to the ball shooting up and hitting the top bracket will now be reduced therefore not loading up the 3 mounting lugs.

It is available at Shapeways if you want to protect you VUK chute.
https://www.shapeways.com/model/2189393/congo-pinball-volcano-chute-base-support.html?modelId=2189393&materialId=62

Hashman:
Hi Swinks. My Congo shoots balls out of the volcano like a mad man. They go everywhere. Doesnt really worry me but I thought it was supposed to shoot out to the closest wireframe. Would this mod of yours fix this? Is this a common problem?

Dave

swinks:
To be honest I did not play many games as I decided to strip and shop out. If you take the glass off and see if the chute moves by feeling the top of the chute at the tip of the volcano then possibly the chute base strengthener could be beneficial. f there is movement it could contribute to random ball travel paths. I do plan to do a yellow or red chute tip to both strengthen the flap but also direct the ball consistently to one location.

swinks:
This is a protector that is not seen once installed and sits under the plastic that sits under the jump ramp. The jump ramp plastic is one that is commonly broken due to the ball being flipped from the mid playfield lhs flipper when shooting under the volcano when the ball catches a little air and knock the plastic probably at it's thinnest and weakest point.

The protector plastic is one that has a few features designed in to protect the congo plastic, including a cut out around the front scoop so not to stress the congo plastic and crack it from bending up, and it has 2 drop down reinforcement sections that sit either side of the SS ball diverter piece which keep both plastics straight and to reduce twist stress on the 2 only mounting points. On the playfield side the drop down extends out to support all the plastic and is scalloped to allow a ball to still pass through but strengthens up this weak point if there is a impact. The protector plastic also has 2 holes cut out allowing light to shine through and light up the gorillas faces. Lastly at the back of the plastic is a mini post so you have 2 options on install: 1 is to mount the mini post to the congo plastic as usual and the protector plastic has a recess so everything still sits flush or you install the screw through the protector plastic and the congo plastic and tighten the mini post - which firms up the congo plastic and protector plastic now securing at 3 points instead of 2 and reduces the risk of cracking.

It must be noted that the part was to big to qualify for the polished finish so a matt / grainy finish is only available but since it is not seen this won't be a issue. This has been test printed and fitted using a 3D home printer and the Shapeways option will look better.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2798649/congo-jump-ramp-plastic-protector.html?li=aeTabs

photo 1 - typical broken plastic
photo 2 - protector in place
photo 3 - congo plastic in place
photo 4 - under support

Strangeways:
Very good design. i like the way the light disperses through the two holes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version