Author Topic: williams Road King...Various  (Read 714 times)

Offline lanternau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
williams Road King...Various
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »
Hi all,  Just got me a Williams Road Kings project ....Is basically all intact except it has faulty displays and no back glass. When I power up the machine it goes into attract mode so I'm thinking it is basically a goer. I was wondering if anyone has any half decent seven segment displays they would like to sell. I Will eventually get led displays but need to determine if the machine is worth the $$$. Cheers

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
Re: williams Road King...Various
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
Bugger ....Crickets and tumble weeds . :tumble:

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
Hi all,  Just got me a Williams Road Kings project ....Is basically all intact except it has faulty displays and no back glass. When I power up the machine it goes into attract mode so I'm thinking it is basically a goer. I was wondering if anyone has any half decent seven segment displays they would like to sell. I Will eventually get led displays but need to determine if the machine is worth the $$$. Cheers

You don't normally see these come up for sale, unlike the bally/stern displays they have no components on the display glass board, so when they don't work they are almost always stuffed.
The reason you see bally/stern ones for sale is some people don't know how to fix them so they get replaced and then sold off even though they are probably fixable(if the fault isn't with the glass itself)

Road Kings is a cool game and the backglass is plastic and readily available so just bite the bullet and commit to it you won't regret it.

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:31:02 AM »
Cheers , Well that explains why I cant get hold of any displays. Looks like I need to jump in the deep end and get some displays and a back glass from Marco's. Guess I'm cautious by nature. I have ordered components to upgrade the power supply . Hopefully i will be able to get the game to start which I thought it might do even with displays. ( voltages are a tad high) I would be pissed if I spent hundreds of $$$ to find out the machine is screwed. I'm thinking it shows promise as it goes into attract mode though. My previous project was a 1970 Bally EM ....That was a lot more straight forward. Again thank for your feedback, really appreciate it.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
It is a good game without reaching the heights of Pinbot. These were well played on location and can have a fair bit of wear. Reconditioned would be around $1800 - $2000 ish. Displays are a bit of a bummer, but you won't know what else is not working until you can read error messages etc.

I'd proceed with fixing the game. It won't disappoint.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
Thanks again....

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
Got some nice displays and backglass. Now I can see!!! The machine starts up but wont start a game .I get a "33" on the credit screen . Does anyone know what that indicates? Cheers

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
Put some new batteries in the game and then do a factory reset as per the manual.

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:38:40 AM »
Cheers already did that one .Via the switch diagnostics, I found that there was an issue with Q42. This meant It didn't register the two balls in the troughs . I replaced the transistor. I actually played the game for an hour or so which was cool. Then in crapped itself again. Have not had a chance to look further but it would appear the transistor is fried again. Must be an intermittent short I think? I will work through the Switch matrix and see what I come up with .I dont think the game has been used for well over ten years so I expect to encounter a few issues. The other thing is the background music works but is really distorted. The voices seem ok. I did find that the -12v line was  around -16V . Got components to do up the power supply hope it will help.
Cheers

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
Cheers already did that one .Via the switch diagnostics, I found that there was an issue with Q42. This meant It didn't register the two balls in the troughs . I replaced the transistor. I actually played the game for an hour or so which was cool. Then in crapped itself again. Have not had a chance to look further but it would appear the transistor is fried again. Must be an intermittent short I think? I will work through the Switch matrix and see what I come up with .I dont think the game has been used for well over ten years so I expect to encounter a few issues. The other thing is the background music works but is really distorted. The voices seem ok. I did find that the -12v line was  around -16V . Got components to do up the power supply hope it will help.
Cheers

You might need new roms for the sound

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »
Sorry I should of mentioned that I replaced all ROMs hoping that would fix him. It didn't.

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
Re: williams Road King...Q47 keeps blowing
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I keep blowing Q47 on the main board. This little beasty via the switch matrix controls a few things including Flipper e.o.s , troughs , left and right kicker and play field tilt. I have checked for shorts and cleaned all switches. When I replace Q47 the game works for up to an hour, then Q47 goes short ...if i replace.......the game goes again for a period and then Q47 craps out again. It is driving me bananas! Cheers

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
The game is blowing a transistor within the switch matrix. So check all those switches and see if there is a tab on the switch touching a coil or a globe holder.

I would also recommend checking the fuses are the right value throughout the game. fuses should blow before transistors.

Offline lanternau

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
Cheers Strange

All the fuses are correct . In this case the .20c transistor is protecting the $1:50 fuse?? It is the fuses fuse? I have checked and checked for shorts , thus far no good. As it happens after about 1 hour of play time it blows. I'm thinking short or maybe heat related.Not real happy about continually changing transistors as the board is under heat stress.I am concerned about tracks lifting. One of the switches is the play field tilt..I would not be fussed if it was redundant. Can I take this out of the circuit without stuffing thing up? Also thinking about temporally fitting a socket so I can change the transistor easily.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »
Made any progress to this?