Author Topic: Company donations  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Company donations
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
Company donations

Like most other businesses, I am always being asked to make a donation for people trying to raise money (for trivia nights, etc…)

Id like to help everyone, but I cannot
I know there are some other business people here;
How do you decide who to donate to?

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Company donations
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
There is always exemptions to the rule but put simply, group sponsorships over individuals and local community first.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
When I had retail shops we also had a similar problem. In the end we chose the ones we would support, the local hockey club, the pony club and several others. Put them up on the wall in a frame as being "Officially supported by the team at XXX Electronics".

Some of the staff had an interest in some that we supported so that worked out OK as well.

When people came knocking the receptionist simply pointed to the frame and said "sorry, they are our officially supported causes - no room for more just now".
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »

We like to support appropriate causes where possible, but there are limits and sometimes the cold calls get on my nerves a little when they have no connection to our business in any way and just see us as a possible soft touch.

Call it self interest, but we start with looking at how it can benefit the business to be involved - if the person requesting the donation or sponsorship is a client or represents a target market etc, then we will look at it. Otherwise we are not doing the right thing by the business, and drawing the line in any other way would be arbitrary.

If it's just an unassociated person with no connection to our business, and no foreseeable benefit, then it would normally be no - I sponsor my kids in their various school coordinated charity efforts instead.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
I donate stuff to the local schools in the way of signage, make props for their plays.. lend the odd neon sign etc. I once sponsored the Police Citizens Youth thingy and they gave my details to all and sundry which tied my business phone up with more calls by people wanting money so I never did it again.
When my business was doing it tough a few years back there was no one to help me out and I noticed that once people got a sniff that you might be going under, they tend to create distance between themselves and you. I clawed right back, hit the streets to drum up work and prayed things would turn around.. they did.
Local community didn't want to know then.. now they do that im back on track.
I learnt my lesson and now keep my focus on building foundations for my family so if theres nothing in it for me, then theres nothing going out.. simple

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »
Perhaps another thing to consider is if the person asking is putting in something themselves, such as their free time or labour.  I'd be more sympathetic if they were contributing in some way.

You should only be doing it based on a sound 'business decision', such as knowing you will commercially benefit from the exposure; or if you would donate to that charity/organisation regardless of you having a business!

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:46:34 AM »
Thanks guys
I have had a loylt of requests lately

I don't mind it if it is from a regular customer, a donation is a good way to say thank you
But when a request is from somebody the other side of town, it is hard to see a benefit for my business

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 09:09:39 AM »
Had a good one yesterday
A guy wanted to know if Iwould sponsor him to travel overseas to go sport fly-fishing

Since when was fishing a sport?

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »
Had a good one yesterday
A guy wanted to know if Iwould sponsor him to travel overseas to go sport fly-fishing

Since when was fishing a sport?

Could you x2 that sponsorship Pete? I wouldn't mine going fishing as well.  &&

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »
Maybe we should all get sponsors and fly to pinball expo next year

Pinball is a sport, isn't it?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
A lot of people claiming to be charities are not charities and are stealing from the public.

One of the modern pathetic scourges of modern times are these cheer leading so called schools who claim to be non profit organisations or charities for children's dancing but they are mostly privately owned Pty Ltd companies or partnerships pretending to be charities.

On the Gold Coast they approach and leach off everyone and anyone they can get money from and say its all for the kids and all to raise money for the children's uniforms or gym mat equipment and any other piece of equipment that they can get their grubby fingers on.
They go to Butcher shops with four or five young girls in toe and plead for a few hundred dollars of sausages and steaks for a charity barbecue to raise money for the kids. They do the same thing over and over again and con multiple butcher shops in one week and then hold a dozen different barbecues all over the Gold Coast and get the parents to supply free labour. One woman bragged to me that they were making around five grand a week off the dozen sausage/meat sizzles.

Not one cent ever went to the children. They still charge almost a grand per annum for the kids uniforms they get out of China for peanuts. They still charge $50 to $100 a week for dance fees. They never supplied one thing to the kids for free. They bought a house for $600,00.00 (600 grand) and bought commercial premises, all from raising money by supposed charitable fund raising. These people are liars n thieves cheating the entire public and business community.
The two lesbians who run the company are sickening to say the least. Add in the stealing from people, and they deserve to be shot.

Most people claiming to be charities are not.

Charity starts at home for me these days.
The problem with charities, or so called charities, is that their books are never open for real inspection like churches etc. How can u possibly give away your hard earnt $ when u don't know how its really being spent.
I buy tickets to Boys Home raffles etc. They get a small $25 donation three or four times a year, and some lucky bastard gets to win a house and car and cash for their kindness with up to a million bux worth of prizes to be won. That seems like a sensible donation to me. Food for thought....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:21:01 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
A lot of people claiming to be charities are not charities and are stealing from the public.

One of the modern pathetic scourges of modern times are these cheer leading so called schools who claim to be non profit organisations or charities for children's dancing but they are mostly privately owned Pty Ltd companies or partnerships pretending to be charities.

On the Gold Coast they approach and leach off everyone and anyone they can get money from and say its all for the kids and all to raise money for the children's uniforms or gym mat equipment and any other piece of equipment that they can get their grubby fingers on.
They go to Butcher shops with four or five young girls in toe and plead for a few hundred dollars of sausages and steaks for a charity barbecue to raise money for the kids. They do the same thing over and over again and con multiple butcher shops in one week and then hold a dozen different barbecues all over the Gold Coast and get the parents to supply free labour. One woman bragged to me that they were making around five grand a week off the dozen sausage/meat sizzles.

Not one cent ever went to the children. They still charge almost a grand per annum for the kids uniforms they get out of China for peanuts. They still charge $50 to $100 a week for dance fees. They never supplied one thing to the kids for free. They bought a house for $600,00.00 (600 grand) and bought commercial premises, all from raising money by supposed charitable fund raising. These people are liars n thieves cheating the entire public and business community.
The two lesbians who run the company are sickening to say the least. Add in the stealing from people, and they deserve to be shot.

Most people claiming to be charities are not.

Charity starts at home for me these days.
The problem with charities, or so called charities, is that their books are never open for real inspection like churches etc. How can u possibly give away your hard earnt $ when u don't know how its really being spent.
I buy tickets to Boys Home raffles etc. They get a small $25 donation three or four times a year, and some lucky bastard gets to win a house and car and cash for their kindness with up to a million bux worth of prizes to be won. That seems like a sensible donation to me. Food for thought....

well said,pitty we didnt get to catch up,mate.home for now in adelaide.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
Glad u had a great time on the Gold Coast mate.
I will see u next trip no matter what.

The only charity and passion I have these days is for all the great people in the pinball industry etc.
Investing in pinball is the go. Forget the thieves taking people for a ride pretending to be a charity for kids.
I hate grubs like that.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !