Author Topic: Indy lock idol repaint or not?  (Read 854 times)

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
Indy lock idol repaint or not?
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:23 PM »
Hi Guys

I've been debating trying to repaint the idol in the Indy I am rebuilding at the moment. Has anyone here done this? Is the paint gold as mine looks to have a silvery tinge? How would you do the dark aging lines?

OR

Should I leave it be, as I'm sure I won't get a decent replacement if at all if I stuff it up. I don't want a tacky look either!

Any thoughts? Cheers Dan

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Indy lock idol repaint or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:34:21 AM »
A can of White Knight Super Gold if you wanted to go the cost effective route.

If you want to bling it up a bit more then get it plated.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:53 AM »
Thanks, plating sounds intriguing. I heard of plating on plastic but how does that work? Is it something an electroplater does?

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:58:08 AM »
I'm not sure of the process but it's called cold chroming.
Does anyone know where you can get it done?
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
I'd leave it be. If there is a problem with any of the processes you are considering, then you are left with a missing or stuffed up idol. If you had a replacement, then I'd look at the different processes and if it is ruined (no pun intended) then you have a fallback plan.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »
How would you do the dark aging lines?

You do the ageing lines by painting it gold first then after the paint is dry painting it with black and rubbing it off with a rag.
Myth busters have a youtube video on how they did it to a T2 after plating.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
Thanks, plating sounds intriguing. I heard of plating on plastic but how does that work? Is it something an electroplater does?

Yes, it is done by an electroplater, but a lot of them are not set up for plating plastics (a slightly different process than plating metal). You would need to do some ringing around to local platers on a case by case basis and ask.

The other variable I have found is that plating prices vary wildly between business for the same amount of work so again do your homework and don't just settle for the first plater you make contact with that can plate plastics. I remember Retropin made a thread here a while back questioning the quoted price about some chrome plating work he wanted done up in Brisbane and I told him he could get it done for almost half that cost in SA.

Gold paint will still look good but you just won't get the same reflective quality of gold plating.

24k gold plated

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »

Thanks Boots, Sounds interesting but I couldn't find it on you tube. Do you have a link?

That idol looks amazing Pinsanity, Thanks for the picture. I think plating options on the Gold Coast are limited so prices may be higher? Not exactly an industrial hub here but you can't bet the weather! What do you do? Maybe its more competitive in Brisbane. I do have to get a few parts plated for this project though.

Thanks for the input Nino, That is sound advice. If I had 2 it would be a no brainer! I am keeping my eye out.

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »

Thanks Boots, Sounds interesting but I couldn't find it on you tube. Do you have a link?

That idol looks amazing Pinsanity, Thanks for the picture. I think plating options on the Gold Coast are limited so prices may be higher? Not exactly an industrial hub here but you can't bet the weather! What do you do? Maybe its more competitive in Brisbane. I do have to get a few parts plated for this project though.

Thanks for the input Nino, That is sound advice. If I had 2 it would be a no brainer! I am keeping my eye out.

Here you go:

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 07:38:21 PM »
Cool clip. It would be a talking point to have one of those in the corner at a party. Might try the technique on some junk pieces with the gold base coat to see how it turns out. I noticed he said the black is oil based.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
You could Gold Leaf it..

Spray the idol with polyurethane and leave till its tacky, then apply the gold leaf and leave to dry. Once dry brush down excess with your wifes CLEAN blusher brush ( she'll love any remnants left as it will ad a gold lustre to her cheeks!) and then spray again with your polyurethane.
You can use any spray adhesive/ coating but P/thane or in fact clear acrylic will tack it down and seal it... one can wonder!

Gold leaf was or still is available from Spotlight..

OR..
Real stuff here..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-pcs-24-Karat-Edible-Gold-Leaf-for-Cooking-Art-Framing-Gilding-AUTHENTIC-/261260189665?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item3cd4521fe1

Fake stuff here..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-Sheets-Imitation-Gold-Leaf-Foil-Gilding-Nail-Art-Foil-Lips-Craft-DIY-Hobby-L-/271380731562?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item3f2f8d56aa

Both will do the job...

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
You could Gold Leaf it..

I never thought of that! Maybe a fair bit of practice would be need.

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »
Cool clip. It would be a talking point to have one of those in the corner at a party. Might try the technique on some junk pieces with the gold base coat to see how it turns out. I noticed he said the black is oil based.

He has lots of clips of his other man-toys, one of them is an iron man

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 11:25:17 PM »
You could Gold Leaf it..

Spray the idol with polyurethane and leave till its tacky, then apply the gold leaf and leave to dry. Once dry brush down excess with your wifes CLEAN blusher brush ( she'll love any remnants left as it will ad a gold lustre to her cheeks!) and then spray again with your polyurethane.
You can use any spray adhesive/ coating but P/thane or in fact clear acrylic will tack it down and seal it... one can wonder!

OR..
Real stuff here..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-pcs-24-Karat-Edible-Gold-Leaf-for-Cooking-Art-Framing-Gilding-AUTHENTIC-/261260189665?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item3cd4521fe1

Fake stuff here..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-Sheets-Imitation-Gold-Leaf-Foil-Gilding-Nail-Art-Foil-Lips-Craft-DIY-Hobby-L-/271380731562?pt=AU_Art_Supplies&hash=item3f2f8d56aa

Both will do the job...
+1 gold leaf, would give it the aged look too.

As far a blush brush, after seeing Gav in that pin shirt, I'm thinking may he has had some experience with the blush brush and glitter on his own cheeks  !@#  %.%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
You could Gold Leaf it..

OR..
Real stuff here..

Fake stuff here..

Both will do the job...
+1 gold leaf, would give it the aged look too.

As far a blush brush, after seeing Gav in that pin shirt, I'm thinking may he has had some experience with the blush brush and glitter on his own cheeks  !@#  %.%

You'd have to get a lot closer to find out...