Author Topic: Arcade warehouse raid article  (Read 7575 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Arcade warehouse raid article
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:22:22 PM »
A great warehouse raid article by Preston from Gameroom Junkies podcast

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/09/arcade-archaeology-saving-gamings-relics.html

We need some of these in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Arcade warehouse raid article
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55:07 PM »
I did have one of these back before AP I only wanted 3 certain games but had to buy the whole warehouse because the games I wanted were what was going to sell the rest of the rubbish (his words) so I did.

There was me in my 1 toner with a tandem trailer and two mates with one toners and tandems and I had to make a second trip.  No digital camera back then but I think I have some old paper photos of my shed jam packed with stuff I also jam packed my mums shed but didn't have a photo of that. 

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
Sounds like fun!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
There are a couple in Australia that I know of, but the owner of one is deceased and his estate just sits on them and the other simply won't sell them.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
There are a couple in Australia that I know of, but the owner of one is deceased and his estate just sits on them and the other simply won't sell them.

I know of a stash in Adelaide, with good titles sitting under a verandah for the last 10 years, but the owner (a former operator) is cooked and wants better than market values for non working trashed machines.

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »
I think we are at the peek of the market for retro arcade and pinball. Once the 40 odd year olds are 50 and 60 odd . The interest will die off pretty quickly. In 20 years these games will be worth a small fraction of asking prices now. Just my prediction.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »
I think we are at the peek of the market for retro arcade and pinball. Once the 40 odd year olds are 50 and 60 odd . The interest will die off pretty quickly. In 20 years these games will be worth a small fraction of asking prices now. Just my prediction.

Spot on.

All the makers and distributors of pinballs are clamouring for your dollar knowing full well that this is the last roll of the dice for the hobby, hence the LE and premium editions from Stern.

They know that tomorrows potential pinball buyers( todays kids) have little or no interest in pinballs and the time to strike with 30+ crowd is now.

That is why most if not all the current themes released are aimed at this demographic.

*%*

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »

This was true 20 years ago, and also true 10 years ago. It is also true NOW.

Pinball was never designed to be a home commodity. They were purely equipment that was produced to make profits for operators. When I remind myself of the dark days in the early 90's when 90 original 50's Bally Bingos, Williams sys4/6 and GTB sys1 were thrown into landfill, I cringe and wish that didn't happen. But it was reality. What do people do with their cars when they have outdone their usefulness ?

But Pinball has a way of surviving. I don't think the next generation will embrace it as we do.

Having said that, many new faces - and younger faces - are entering the market. It is always in decline, even when there is still huge demand. A real contradiction.

The home market has never been stronger.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »

The home market has never been stronger.

+1

Even though the home market is strong, it is still a niche market. When November comes, a lot of homes put up elaborate and decorative lighting around their houses and yards. It has become a yearly ritual and neighbour copies neighbour, whether they are Catholic or not, people go crazy over this Christmas festivity.

Pinball is a bit different. I have machines in the house which my family members and friends play, but none of them have bought a pinball machine (yet). They look at them as novelties on which they are not prepared to spend money on (like house decoration lights). They probably think I am a (retired) nut but it won't change my love of the silver ball.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
I'm not getting older.

Really....I'm not <.>

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »
I think we are at the peek of the market for retro arcade and pinball.

+1

Pinball is in dead cat bounce mode right now.

From 100,000+ units per year in 1992 to 10,000 in 2014, it isn't coming back.

But there are more pinball companies now since WW2 - so what? Getting units out the door is what it is all about and having eight startups (90% of which are crowd funded which should get the alarm bells ringing in terms of long term viability) produce anywhere from a couple hundred to a projected two thousand machines a year is not a pinball renaissance.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:46:26 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 04:58:52 PM »
Pinball is growing well in my opinion. More and more brand new machines are being sold to various markets all around the world. Home or sited.
I don't think it matters whether we are at the levels of the 90,s or the highest point back way when. What matters is that many many people around the world are excited that pinball is alive and growing well again. We have a great pinball forum, many people have collections, most of our kids love pinball, Stern and others are bringing titles like Star Trek, Mustang and The Walking Dead to mainstream audiences which does get new business. Stern is doubling its production size which tells me they are selling more today than they have ever before. JJP is doing well and hasn't folded. So I like what I see everywhere. I focus on the positive and what we have instead of what we haven't got. I would bet that pinball will grow every year for the next ten years, cause that's exactly what it has done the last ten years overall, despite the worst recession we have seen in 80 or 90 years. Pinball is going great guns. Well done to all the positive people in pinball who keep believing in pinball who just don't know anything except positive go forward thoughts. Best hobby on the planet is doing well. Excellent I say.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »
The point I was making was with regard to Retro arcade and pins. The prices for these games is at their peek. Old operators holding onto their old machines is crazy. The prices aren't going to get any better.

New pinball machine market is growing that for sure. I hope it continues.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
The point I was making was with regard to Retro arcade and pins. The prices for these games is at their peek. Old operators holding onto their old machines is crazy. The prices aren't going to get any better.

New pinball machine market is growing that for sure. I hope it continues.

Operators are like dealers - overpricing pinballs is not new to them. There's a local op near me that wants $3500 for a Gorgar that has been sitting in a shed for 20 years. He probably wanted $3500 20 years ago as well !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Arcade warehouse raid article
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
Pinball is growing well in my opinion. More and more brand new machines are being sold to various markets all around the world. Home or sited.
I don't think it matters whether we are at the levels of the 90,s or the highest point back way when. What matters is that many many people around the world are excited that pinball is alive and growing well again. We have a great pinball forum, many people have collections, most of our kids love pinball, Stern and others are bringing titles like Star Trek, Mustang and The Walking Dead to mainstream audiences which does get new business. Stern is doubling its production size which tells me they are selling more today than they have ever before. JJP is doing well and hasn't folded. So I like what I see everywhere. I focus on the positive and what we have instead of what we haven't got. I would bet that pinball will grow every year for the next ten years, cause that's exactly what it has done the last ten years overall, despite the worst recession we have seen in 80 or 90 years. Pinball is going great guns. Well done to all the positive people in pinball who keep believing in pinball who just don't know anything except positive go forward thoughts. Best hobby on the planet is doing well. Excellent I say.

Well said Brett :-) there will always be negative dicks in this hobby who cares really! I went to a meet on the weekend and had an awesome time with fellow positive pinball guys.