Author Topic: Arcade warehouse raid article  (Read 7570 times)

Offline guyricho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Arcade warehouse raid article
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 12:12:52 AM »
A friend of mine restores and sells high end 80-90 year old arcade games.

I doubt he sells to people who played these games when they were kids considering those people are more than likely dead. %.%

There is a point when these things will be worth nothing, then there will be a point in time when pinball's will be sort after again because they will become Antiques.

works that way with cars and pretty much anything.  ^^^

In saying that, I would think the market for new pinballs will dry up when this trendy bubble bursts.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:16:45 AM by guyricho »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 01:11:07 AM »
Even though the conversation doesn't match the threads title.lol I wanted to add something after seeing a cartoon tonight. The cartoon was Star Wars. The point I was going to make is that if u market something properly, it will keep selling year in and year out. Star Wars (the entire franchise of movies n toys n cartoons n spin off series etc) from 1978 is a example. It's been marketed and sold now successfully for 36 yrs.
Gary Stern has been marketing pinballs for just as long, and prob will for another 20 years etc, so the marketing means pinball has followed Star Trek. If u keep marketing it, it will keep selling. Pinball will never die whilst people keep marketing it. Gary Stern is the George Lucas of pinball if u get my meaning. Where would modern Star Wars be without George lucases vision. Same for pinball in my mind with Gary Stern who has kept pinball alive and now growing worldwide.
If one person can make such a huge impact on a industry like the two great gents above have, imagine what positive pinball forums and word of mouth do to help pinball sales. Anyway. Lol
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 01:16:20 AM »
Meant to say "followed Star Wars" not "Star Trek" lol
Typical I.phone auto spelling typo. Lol

Anyway, ......lol.    Pinball may outlive Star Wars and Star Trek just yet. Lol

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 02:34:03 AM »
Star Wars is still a viable marketing opportunity because Lucas was smart enough to keep reinventing it by applying current technology to it in order to keep up with the subsequent generation's expectations.

Of course, the old school purists moaned and gnashed their teeth when they saw that Greedo suddenly shot first or when CGI Jar Jar Binks first opened his mouth but the next generation doesn't give a damn about that. They want to see today's technology, not tech that was last current 20 years go. Anything less simply makes the end product look dated.

Lucas sold the Star Wars franchise to Disney for $4 billion with 3 new films scheduled for production.
Stern needed a white knight bailout from Hagerty Peterson to keep the company afloat.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 03:24:03 AM »
Good point.
Was it a bailout, or investment. Seems like investment perhaps if Stern is growing and getting new premises and selling more than ever ?
George Lucas must be the best sales person on earth to get the $$$ out of Disney. I couldn't believe the sale price when I saw that in the media. He got gold pricing for tin. Lol

Sterns decision to grow instead of stagnate was a brilliant move. I say brilliant cause it succeeded. Got To give Gary Stern credit for playing smart poker.

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »
It will be very interesting to see where the hobby is in the next 10-20 years.
It has had it's heyday and is crying out for  @@^
Not negativity, it's fact.

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"