Author Topic: Pinfest 2014  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Pinfest 2014
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 01:57:30 PM »
Yeah I know but we just need to overcome that sort of stuff or maybe even show we are bigger and better than that sort of stuff welcome every with open arms.  I would like to support Autism, I believe there is enough evidence to show that pinball is a good thing for people with autism.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Sinbad79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
Yeah I know but we just need to overcome that sort of stuff or maybe even show we are bigger and better than that sort of stuff welcome every with open arms.  I would like to support Autism, I believe there is enough evidence to show that pinball is a good thing for people with autism.

Funny enough - my youngest (6yr old) boy had hand-eye co-ordination issues when younger - Pinball has helped him develop that skill to the point now where he's an absolute pinball gun!

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
AP seems to be mainly from Victoria
Try to organize something like this in Melbourne and a certainsomebody (who is not either aa or ap) will do their utmost to muck it up

Then get them directly involved as sponsors/sellers. They are less likely to sabotage when they have a direct pecuniary interest in the event.

The Victorian pinball community is sitting on a veritable gold mine in terms of machine availability, spare parts and top shelf restorers.

All the local infrastructure is there ready to be utilised, you just need someone to be able to bring them all together for one weekend.

It could easily be the largest pinball event in Australia.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:18:10 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »
Try to organize something like this in Melbourne and a certainsomebody (who is not either aa or ap) will do their utmost to muck it up

Then get them directly involved as sponsors/sellers. They are less likely to sabotage when they have a direct pecuniary interest in the event.

The Victorian pinball community is sitting on a veritable gold mine in terms of machine availability, spare parts and top shelf restorers.

All the local infrastructure is there ready to be utilised, you just need someone to be able to bring them all together for one weekend.

I'd do it locally. There are some venues here that would be perfect
But there are not many pin guys in Ballarat, and Icannot organise it alone

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »
Pinball machine setup area and commercial sponsors stalls:
http://mcec.com.au/plan-an-event/rooms/exhibition-centre-bays/

Guest speaker options with onsite catering:
http://mcec.com.au/plan-an-event/rooms/plenary-2/

I'd do it locally. There are some venues here that would be perfect
But there are not many pin guys in Ballarat, and Icannot organise it alone

I do agree that for it to succeed it would have to be supported from all sections of the Victorian pinball community.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »

So can we count you in to fund the hire of the venue?  &&
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
I am in a different state but I would help where I can, layout plans, booklet etc...

sure people would come from all around, I would come down for the event
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »

So can we count you in to fund the hire of the venue?  &&

Presale crowdfunding seems to be the accepted practice these days to minimise personal outlay...  %$%

I am in a different state but I would help where I can, layout plans, booklet etc...

sure people would come from all around, I would come down for the event

That's the spirit, mate.   ^^^

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:44:20 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
Yeh, id be in as much as I can.. be happy to supply any signage etc.
Id happily back any OPEN event

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »
Pinsanity, think you may find the venue you have linked to is thousands of dollars per square meter

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
Well I'll throw my hand to assist in any way I can and maybe loan a machine or two for the event assuming that it is a display and not simply an auction in disguise.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »
Certain individuals would make it their mission to sabotage a local (Victorian) event. If it happened, it can only work if the organizers or committee are hobbyists / collectors that have an interest in the public's needs and not their own pockets. Sponsors / commercial guys would be added towards the end when their involvement from a financial backing point of view is not crucial to the event.

There has been some "talk" about a local event that would be an OPEN meet without "exclusivity" as others are doing now. Melbourne would be a great place to have an event for all the reasons mentioned. The biggest issue would be pulling together people to get involved in the organizing, and prying machines out of collections for the weekend. The "pinball culture" in Melbourne is a lot different that say NSW. There are "always" meets in Melbourne - but they are private. I personally know several large collectors that won't go near forums. We don't have the same "community" feel of say Northern States, but we don't have the "dramas" associated with the meets (that sometimes happens).

A Melbourne Expo type meet would be massive, but whoever the organizers are, they would need to manage the problems that are common with pinball in Victoria. I would put my hand up to help out, but I'm already having time management issues ! I'd still find the time and provide machines - no brainer for me !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline skywalker

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 10:28:26 AM »
IMO you could test the event starting small & grow it, Melb type expo is a big gamble & outlay & massive commitment,
Community hall/pub style room what ever up to 50 +/- machines, less work & risk,
Yes & All welcome  ()