Author Topic: Are these rebuilt AFM machines?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Petey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Are these rebuilt AFM machines?
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Hi there,

I was looking on ebay the other day and I came across these Attack From Mars machines and I was wondering, are they rebuild from new components or something?
Just seems weird that they have 3 that are all filled with new components?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ATTACK-FROM-MARS-PINBALL-MACHINE-/321539184330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4add3a96ca

Not sure if that would be a bad thing or not (but they are super expensive!) Anyway, just wondering...

Thanks
Pete

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Are these rebuilt AFM machines?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »
You are right about being expensive.

They would of been worn out, that's why they have new cabinet decals/stickers and new playfields all of which are available.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »

I suspect they are full restorations to some level - the seller is a decent sort of fellow to deal with. If you mean are they "re-fakes" like some dealers are doing with MM, I suspect not (he mentions cleaning certain items like ramps), but you would have to check with the seller for certainty and see if you can verify the original components (ie board sets for example).
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »
I'd say the only components that were replaced were outer cosmetics (playfield,cab decals,legs et al) to give the appearance of new.

The rest is vintage 1995.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:05:04 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Petey

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
Ahh right, well they seem pretty nice.
Thanks for the heads up!

Pete

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:02 PM »
It is well above the standard of most of the AFM's you see out there that is for sure and as pinnies4me said they have been restored to SOME level.

As always, inspecting it in person and having a few games on the machine in question is the best option rather than relying on a few pics from ebay to make a judgement.

I'm only answering the question, were they "rebuilt with new components?" The amount of dirt/dust on the underside components hints to me that the existing parts werre simply transferred across from the old to the new playfield and then reattached.

You wouldn't buy a used car without popping the bonnet.  *%*

Disclaimer: Never dealt with the seller and only going by what I can see in the pics.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »

I suspect they are full restorations to some level - the seller is a decent sort of fellow to deal with. If you mean are they "re-fakes" like some dealers are doing with MM, I suspect not (he mentions cleaning certain items like ramps), but you would have to check with the seller for certainty and see if you can verify the original components (ie board sets for example).

I concur.

They are clearly not the "re fakes" that have been sold as "originals". It is always a good idea to see the machines "in person" and judge for yourself.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia