Author Topic: Apron Art using Water Slide Decals  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Apron Art using Water Slide Decals
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »
Good on ya Millsy! Nice solution for a sticky problem!
My Williams Skylab has a shitty apron, so I am looking at something similar following your results. As I do not intend to totally restore the machine I might try to apply the decals directly over the un-refinished apron to preserve some of the patina of age.

I have been considering this also. If I make the apron look like new will it clash with the rest of the machine..........look out of place?
But the apron now is worse than the PF, so guess it is allready a mis-match of sorts (sorry just thinking out aloud).

Offline Astroboy

• Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 10:20:29 PM »
Yeah, it will be good to have the option of removing the decal if I ever want to. No harm done.
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »
Good on ya Millsy! Nice solution for a sticky problem!
My Williams Skylab has a shitty apron, so I am looking at something similar following your results. As I do not intend to totally restore the machine I might try to apply the decals directly over the un-refinished apron to preserve some of the patina of age.

I have been considering this also. If I make the apron look like new will it clash with the rest of the machine..........look out of place?
But the apron now is worse than the PF, so guess it is allready a mis-match of sorts (sorry just thinking out aloud).
I replaced all my Posts,Bumper housing & caps,& new plastics - they are all white now & not yellowed so it seems to blend in. May have looked out of place if I had not done this.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »
There is no problem putting the transfers over the exisisting artwork -they are easily removed (theres no adhesive) as long as you dont put the clearcoat on top.
Kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »
Making an upgrade on any machine makes the world of difference! The score tray would cover say 1/6th of the total area of the playfied. So if this comes to life and looks new then your machine looks way better. Same goes for the top ball arch, respraying that makes the world of difference.

Really looks like you have opened a can of worms here Kev.

Still can't understand why PBR hasn't resproduced these like Pinball Rescue in Queensland did all those years ago  !@#

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 09:19:36 PM »
top detailed explaination of the decal process. Really appreciate it and look forward to trying it one day. thanks heaps
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Astroboy

• Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
I agree, nice write up. Love these resto threads.
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2009, 01:08:54 AM »
Im going to use these decals to do a touchup on some wear infront of a slingshot on the Firepower....
I just filled in the wear patch using some spack filler and the side of a credit card...damn it came out REALLY good...just need to touch it up now..
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2009, 01:13:23 AM »
Im going to have a go at this method on my Phoenix wall hanger see how it works on a yellow base?

Offline Private Gimp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mackay, Queensland
  • Fix'n and play'n Pinball
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 02:07:57 PM »
I have got a scan of a Pinball Rescue Flash decal at 300 dpi I could send to you both.

Sinbad and Millsy, Would this be sufficent to run off a waterslide decal?

3 scans each at 25Mb (total 75Mb), I have PDF'd and the file weighs in at 2.5Mb.
May have to re-size and expand the image sizes in the PDF.

Let me know....

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »
Will have a look, PM sent -only problem may be the file format (PDF)-need to know exact size -thats why PST file (Photoshop) is preferable.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »
Next Experiment - Water Slide Decals on the front cabinet - this is how it went - will have all these procedures documented on my website eventually. empinballs.com
1) After making original art outlines,I scanned & printed on the CLEAR DECAL PAPER. Sprayed decals with SHEEN clear cloat.
2) Removed all paint with paint stripper & filled divots with filler (I used Gyproc Top Coat filler -it dries quicker & easier to sand)
3) Applied sealer/undercoat/primer (3in1) with BRUSH. Then 2 coats of Dulux Aquanamel water based enamel -Antique white USA with BRUSH.
4) Apllied CLEAR DECALS.
RESULT - As you can see in the first pict. White spots under decals obvious and brush strokes obvious. Reason I think the CLEAR DECALS only to be used on completely flat surface or small lettering applications on aprons - NOT HAPPY WITH RESULT So I removed decals & sanded back.

Next Experiment
1) This time I scanned & printed on the WHITE DECAL PAPER.
2) Used a small roller this time to apply under coat/paint.
3) apllied WHITE BACKED DECALS
RESULT - No white spots or brush strokes - Quite happy with result - Even looks better in the flesh.
Final coat of satin clear to be sprayed on then I will be attacking the rusty coin entrance door & surrounding chrome pieces - Going to try painting with chrome paint - will report how this goes.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:32:19 PM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2009, 02:28:40 PM »
Great result there Kev are these decals your using expensive?

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2009, 02:39:29 PM »
As I am unable to house a air compressor,my limit was spray cans which do work out expensive,this is why i am using paint with roller,decals & pressure pack clear cans. The decals use less ink than normal,the undercoats,paint go a lot further for your dollar,and the decal paper are quite ecoomical compared to photo paper (Found this to be cheapest http://www.thecopiercompany.com.au/products.asp?id=127.
kev
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »
Hey Kev
              Ive found a few aprons from different machines did you want me to scan em and email em to you?   If so what DPI do you want them?  One is Pharoah not sure about the others