Author Topic: Gottlieb High Hand Restoration  (Read 22596 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb High Hand Restoration
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:03:17 PM »
Repaint Update.

The cabinet was a mess, and some of the delamination I thought I'd repaired, came back to haunt me while prepping the cabinet (undercoat). I'd undercoat the cabinet and it looked perfect, and then 2 days later - a section would split. Sand back, repaint, wait 2 days, and then another section would be affected. Sand back, repair and then another undercoat and it was fine after 2-3 days, so I prep for base and as I'm sanding, I notice more problems. Wood is natural - it sometimes does not behave as it should !

The basecoat is now ready - I waited a full week with the cab in the sun to ensure there would be no more issues prior to the basecoat. No dramas here at all.

I painted the headbox base black, and then painted the webbing effect. I use a cheap touch up gun setup just for webbing. Works every time !

Now there is an interesting fact that is almost always missed with the EXACT colour and finish of a 1970's Wedgehead (different entirely from a 60's era game). The 70's Wedgeheads were in fact CREAM - not "white", "off white" or antique white". They ARE cream. Let me demonstrate ;

Here is a picture of my Sky Jump, with the cream area clearly visible behind the door. This area is the exact colour and finish. This is a PERFECT match to the base I used on my Pro Football restoration, and the original cream on the High Hand. You can see where some restorers get stumped - the original base cream is sometimes so faded, it disappears into the primer white color. These cabinets were primed during production OR the cream pigment from a base white fades leaving just the base. So here is the proof ;

Time to paint the RED sections. Pictures show the cabinet completely covered. Paint is airborne and FINDS its way into areas I don't want it to go. "Overkill" ? YES - I'd rather spend the extra time and materials doing the cabinet once rather than touching up areas from overspray !

Mask applied

Light coats - maybe a mist followed by two normal passes

Black Section

Same process as the Red sections

Cabinet completed !

Placed in the factory awaiting the next stage

A HUGE milestone in this restoration. A lot more work than usual, but the rewards far exceed the frustrations.

The stencils are Gavin's (Retropin) and were absolutely perfect - the best on the market.  ^^^

Playfield has been sent off for initial clear to lock in the existing paintwork. That process will be covered here in much the same way (and effort) as Genie.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia