Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Gottlieb High Hand Restoration

(1/12) > >>

Strangeways:
This is a title I started 2 years ago, but I've changed the objective a few times which has extended the timeframe. I have a "special" admiration for Wedgeheads, as I remember them from my youth. I remember playing "Jacks Open", "High Hand", "Pro Football", "Sky Jump" and "King Pin" from my youth. I've restored a "Jacks Open" and "Pro Football" to a NIB standard (Nearly In Box) and this machine is gravitating towards the same result.

Objective

Started off 2 years ago as a "reconditioning", but as I started it, I noticed that there were a few issues that I wanted to improve. Starting with the cabinet and then the fiasco with the contact removal. After deciding to repaint the cabinet with licensed Flipperescue Stencils, I also had to address the playfield. More on that later..

Condition report

Cabinet - 6/10 - Initially looked reasonable, but then then on closer inspection, there were some structural problems and then the plywood was starting to peel from sections. The more I poked and prodded, the more I wanted to repaint it !

Playfield - 7/10 - Again, looked very good. When I started to remove the contact, I noticed areas had fissures - or small cracks - this is where the paint had separated from the playfield and was being held to the playfield by the contact. Once I started, I had to continue..

Backglass - 7/10 - Some peeling, but better tahn most I've seen. I'll address the issues and possibly touch up some areas.

Mechanical - 7/10 - Corrosion and seized steppers. Some serious relpated needs to be done - which I enjoy doing anyway.

Before Pictures

Playfield looks presentable ;

Interesting application of a "mylar ring" - using contact. Would not surprise me if my father once owned this machine..

The contact has shrunk over time

Contact has lifted in areas - this is one of the reasons I wanted to remove it.

Front Door - Not much can be done here - Replacement ordered !

Some serious replating and polishing inside the cabinet. but first it will need to be structurally repaired.

Mylar removal test area prompted me to work on the first areas with great success (short lived)

Some minor issues - not enough to worry too much about ;

Then the WORST nightmare of contact removal is realized - and NO - you can't stop as you keep thinking " this will surely end.."

The LEFT side is a complete disaster. The right side is reasonable.

Close ups of the really bad areas ;

The result is a reminder that restoration work is not always an exact science. But it represents a challenge to me that initially I was concerned about, but I have several ideas on how to repair the damage (Surf Champ restoration).

Here's an initial pass of color matching and touching up by hand. It looks interesting, but I won't be using this method.

More on the playfield later. It will be sanded to remove any more loose paint and then cleared to lock in the current artwork..

Cabinet

Many small defects alerted me to the fact that it was better to repair and repaint ;

Layer of timber was slightly lifting the artwork. some call it "character", but a vigorous cleaning of the cabinet light flake this paint off the cabinet !

Paint stripper applied !

Fast Forward to NOW

Paint has been removed. Stencils created and posted by Gav at Flipperrescue. Cabinet repairs and prep for paintwork done.

Will most likely lay down the primer undercoat within the next week or so (weather permitting).

End of part 1 !

Dimsims:
Gees...
looks like you got some work ahead of you there  *%*

Will be great to see this one finished, before and after photos.

oldskool1969:
Clear coating this old girl too?
SC is going strong. My HH has contact on it but it looks like new, bummer for you and your client hey.
Another good thread to watch.

howzat:
Great post Nino
There would be so many hrs work in this  but the finished game will be worth all the effort

I think this is Andys game  Greenechidna     I really like looking at these restos      Howzat

Strangeways:

--- Quote from: oldskool1969 on October 11, 2014, 11:34:04 PM ---Clear coating this old girl too?
SC is going strong. My HH has contact on it but it looks like new, bummer for you and your client hey.
Another good thread to watch.

--- End quote ---

Yes - the same approach as the Surf Champ. It was a minor setback, but I'll make sure the playfield rework will be worth the wait.

--- Quote from: howzat on October 11, 2014, 11:44:51 PM ---Great post Nino
There would be so many hrs work in this  but the finished game will be worth all the effort

I think this is Andys game  Greenechidna     I really like looking at these restos      Howzat

--- End quote ---

It is - and Andy has been incredibly patient. But it will be worth the wait. Just ask his namesake  #@#

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version