Author Topic: Stern's Marketing Model - Pro, Premium & LE and Mods  (Read 903 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
The only thing I care about, 'Is the machine fun to play?'

As to the topic . I cannot see Stern continuing to make mods. I doubt there is enough demand to make it profitable
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:53:46 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern's Marketing Model - Pro, Premium & LE and Mods
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »
Remember when pinball was fun?

Still is fun for me I love playing my games after work :)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat

comment was not aimed at you ;)

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Cavey.... just because we are not blowing smoke up Sterns arse doesn't mean we are haters. Its a critique and open discussion on Sterns marketing strategy which was introduced a few years back. If you take a peek on Pinside you'll realise that the majority of NIB pinballers wish Stern would drop the difference in games over the 3 tier system. Fact is that Stern are not offering the majority of the public what they want.
The constant name calling that you do is very tiresome as is the way any discussion involving Stern or their games gets taken personally by you.
Take a breath... they're just machines

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
I am still giggling over that Communist Russia line.

*%*

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE

comment was not aimed at you ;)

Lol I know that Pete was just a general comment :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
This thread is a simple question on Stern pricing model. I think they should concentrate on one full featured model and let the market dictate the desirability of titles. This would me more price effective for the manufacturer and less confusing for consumer. The trouble with the world today is that we give consumers too much choice. Stern will loose sales to the upcoming manufacturers who focus on one quality and well thought out title rather than trying to cater for paupers, middle and upper classes.

That's the feedback I get almost every day. Consumers are confused - but let me qualify "consumers".

1 - "The Stern collectors" - They don't have a problem with the model as they understand it, and they are more than happy to pay the inflated prices of Premiums and LE's
2 - "Operators" - Carefully buy PRO models on good themes. They buy games with the ONLY intention to make money
3 - "Pinball fans in general" - Don't care for the sales model, but are happy to pay for NIB for GOOD titles that are reasonably priced.

Stern will always sell games to "The collectors" and the "operators". The scales will be tipping more towards sales to collectors (Home market).

"Pinball Fans in General" - utterly confused by the difference in the models. There is more of a desire for these customers to play the game before parting with their cash. This has become more evident in the last 2 years. I think Stern struck gold with AC/DC and the price was right. since then, things have changed - price has gone up and now consumers are even more concerned with the change with the TWD Pro, Premium or LE ? Collectors were reeled in with AC/DC thinking the pricing (Australian) would be the same for the next titles. The $ only recently tanked, so that's not and excuse.

The feedback I get is from real people with real money across all three consumer bases that WILL look at alternatives - whether it be another manufacturer, or, as in most cases - a restored 20 year old game.

Being in the industry, I see the issues every day. A PRISTINE product like Metallica sold well - Why ? - Because it is a GREAT playing game AND Metallica fans bought it. Ditto AC/DC. Lukewarm on Star Trek, and Mustang was so bad it created a mini demand for B/W Corvette.

So what is the solution ?

Drop the Premium all together. Release a PRO model for operators and market the LE for collectors. Drop the price, or increase the value by adding mods for FREE. As an example - TWD LE - If you want to sell a $10,000 machine to a collector, then you need to ADD VALUE. These new mods - siderails, topper etc - make them STANDARD for the LE. Stern have not worked out that ripping people off is a BAD move because the only consumers buying LE games are home consumers. They know the prices are too high - and the fact is very clear - $10,000 will buy a collector 2-3 restored games. This is EXACTLY what is happening. This is feedback from real people with real $ to spend on games.

I want to see Stern succeed, but they won't if they keep pumping out games for "Stern collectors" aimed at people with more disposable income that the general pinball public. Stern should be working hard on marketing and QA. Redemption machines have been a better earner than Pinball and this should change.

I won't start on the "I'd like to play a new stern, but I don't know where to go to play one".. I know of a handful of collectors who have NIB Sterns and they are not going to allow complete strangers to enter their homes and play their games. This IS hurting Stern.

If the conglomerate that came in and saved Stern 4 years ago spent time on marketing then we would see more games on location and in collections.

I'm not a Stern lover, or a Stern hater. I can only offer an opinion based on facts from feedback from people who buy pinball machines.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I'd rather they drop the whole idea if LEs all together
It is not possible to play an LE before it is sold out. So the buyer has to take a chance on theme and a few pics
At $11k+ it is not a gamble (that it will be a great game) that I am willingto make

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
I think it would be better to have one playfield for both Pro and Limited Edition machines and just load up the LE with "bling". Plaque, certificate, mirrored backglass, powder coated trim, shaker motor, subwoofer and whatever else they can pack in. One playfield = one lot of game code to focus on.

Agreed.
This way every one is happy and they don't have to do the extra work for the separate models, just a trim package like you said.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
The fact is that the LE wouldn't cost much more to produce, but there is greater profit.
It doesn't cost Ford and Holden much more to produce a Fairmont or a Calais than a base model but the price tag is much higher resulting in greater profit.
The cost is in the development not the build.

If there was no LE or premium version you would probably find that the Pro (or standard) version would be more expensive.
So bring on the expensive models and make pinball affordable for more people.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
The old saying is
Listen to what I say, not what you think I am saying!
Stern bashing is far from what I read into it?  !@#
A little bit too passionate sometimes Cavey, chill Dude.
I only wish for more transparency on product development by ALL manufacturers, some of the new players appear to be doing this very very well and looks like they are winning in the sales race.

I agree. Too passionate. Too pissed off with Family Law Court Crap.
Sorry to take it out on you guys by being overly picky and critical.
I often break my own dam rules. Women do that to you. Lol
Sincere apologies to all. Didn't mean to upset the best batch of guys on the planet.

At least u guys know that I would be the last man standing fighting to the death to keep pinball alive if the zombies took over. Lol @.@. Again. Apologies. Everyone's point of view is just as correct as everyone else's.
Thanks.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
I am still giggling over that Communist Russia line.

*%*

Comedy on here is free Daz. Lol
Wow, did I really add the Russia bit. Lol
Must have been posting whilst I was watching the war channel on Foxtel...  @.@ @.@ %.%

Congrats on your TBL purchase too. Well done.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook

I agree. Too passionate. Too pissed off with Family Law Court Crap.
Sorry to take it out on you guys by being overly picky and critical.
I often break my own dam rules. Women do that to you. Lol
Sincere apologies to all. Didn't mean to upset the best batch of guys on the planet.

At least u guys know that I would be the last man standing fighting to the death to keep pinball alive if the zombies took over. Lol @.@. Again. Apologies. Everyone's point of view is just as correct as everyone else's.
Thanks.
[/quote]
 ^^^
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you