Author Topic: New Stern is fun  (Read 512 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
New Stern is fun
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
I have read a lot of Stern stuff saying the have dropped the ball etc, and I am a bally/williams man by coincidence. All my games are b/w.

And I must admit that I have agreed with a lot that has been said about Stern and have had enough of the Stern bandwagon from Cavey. BUT....... I just had an arvo playing mint condition, properly set up stern LE games and what a blast. Iron man, avatar, transformers, LOR, spiderman played fast like on ice, lit up like your favourite xmas tree, and all mechs working to their optimum. The LOR did sound clunky which really highlighted how far stern has come quality wise with the later releases like transformers. The flippers were the best I have experienced. And I had some real old time fun that I haven't felt from a pinball for sometime. It was like finding pinball again. So if you have some reservations about Stern, find a properly working game first and then make your mind up. I would buy one in a heart beat now.

Now I will qualify my opinions by saying these games were new to me and so a novelty. Also they were set up perfectly, but I still think it is worth giving credit to this brand.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:00:44 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: New Stern is fun
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:10:48 PM »
I'm not exactly fanboi material, but a properly set up Stern can be a great fun experience. I tried T3 at a dealers years ago, and it was an E- to play. Presented poorly and no effort to have it working 100%. Years later, I restored on and it quickly became a B+. I miss the game !

CSI - No one (except Greg) loves this game and I think it is one of the best they have made for a long time. I really like this title.

Playboy - Yes - have a laugh.. I've just restored one and it is a severely under rated game (thread coming soon). Very good game.

Transformers - A blast to play. Amazing game.

There are some lemons, but this is a Stern appreciation thread. I'm looking forward to "The Walking Dead". There's a lot to look forward to - but you hit the nail on the head Rob - "If the game is setup properly.."
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
I have read a lot of Stern stuff saying the have dropped the ball etc, and I am a bally/williams man by coincidence. All my games are b/w.

And I must admit that I have agreed with a lot that has been said about Stern and have had enough of the Stern bandwagon from Cavey. BUT....... I just had an arvo playing mint condition, properly set up stern LE games and what a blast. Iron man, avatar, transformers, LOR, spiderman played fast like on ice, lit up like your favourite xmas tree, and all mechs working to their optimum. The LOR did sound clunky which really highlighted how far stern has come quality wise with the later releases like transformers. The flippers were the best I have experienced. And I had some real old time fun that I haven't felt from a pinball for sometime. It was like finding pinball again. So if you have some reservations about Stern, find a properly working game first and then make your mind up. I would buy one in a heart beat now.

Now I will qualify my opinions by saying these games were new to me and so a novelty. Also they were set up perfectly, but I still think it is worth giving credit to this brand.

I will take all that as a compliment that my Stern praise has definate merit.
Thanks for posting. More people to play n buy Sterns the better. Keeps the industry alive for our kids and their kids, which will be a good thing.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:24:12 PM »
How funny Cavey and Gorgar1 post straight away haha it must be a Stern thread :) but having said that most games set up properly play great and after spending the arvo on my STLE and a few beers my pinball love is stronger than ever lol welcome to the club Rob :)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
Then there is the following Sterns to play in various models which would have been even more impressive -

ACDC various
X Men various
Metallica various
New vault edition Iron Man - big improvement
Mustang various
Star Trek various
The Walking Dead Pro with LE soon

Plus some I prob forgot about.
Yeh, get out to AP members homes n play all these Stern titles and become a convert.
There is life after the early to late 1990,s and the new games are sensational.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
I haven't played most of the titles in the last year yet, but did put serious time into some of last years games...admittedly Stern have come an awful long way in the last ten years, and games like Metallica show how well they can do it.

Anyway I have to be positive about Stern - I just bought one!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
Yes they are fun but my next bundle of dollars is down for an Aussie Muscle Car before Ford  shut the factory down. No new Sterns for a while in my household.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
I haven't played most of the titles in the last year yet, but did put serious time into some of last years games...admittedly Stern have come an awful long way in the last ten years, and games like Metallica show how well they can do it.

What did you buy?

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »
Yes they are fun but my next bundle of dollars is down for an Aussie Muscle Car before Ford  shut the factory down. No new Sterns for a while in my household.

My mate just ordered a new XR8 with the Coyote supercharged V8 great price with over 300kw :)

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »
played a IMVE few days ago, Had a real blast on it, hopefully on one I'll get one,

BTW whats the differences between the IM & IMVE

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »

My mate just ordered a new XR8 with the Coyote supercharged V8 great price with over 300kw :)

Same here. 335KW min. with 400KW on optimum boost. Delivery should be March 2015. The trouble will be keeping this muther below 100 kph, I think the boys in blue have similar issues, lol.
I doubt Stern will release an XR8 pin after Mustang. Global pinball market would not buy another Aussie legend after AC/DC.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »

What did you buy?

Well we are just finishing renovating a building to move our office to. My partner actually suggested we should get one for the staff room. As she is a massive Elvis fan, and I am partial to the King myself...

Big thanks to Nino for sourcing a particularly nice one for us!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
played a IMVE few days ago, Had a real blast on it, hopefully on one I'll get one,

yes the iron man was the VE, loved it and would kill for one
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 10:08:08 PM »

yes the iron man was the VE, loved it and would kill for one

I wanted an Iron Man after playing the 2010 version recently. Am yet to play the VE. Maybe I should leave it for a while. haha

Offline skywalker

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »
With whats available now NIB Pro versions, IMVE has to be the best value  !^!