Author Topic: Melbourne CBD Pinball & arcades of the 70's  (Read 503 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Melbourne CBD Pinball & arcades of the 70's
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
Spent yesterday in the city with the family and went past an old arcade I used to go to as a kid in the late 70's early 80's. It's downstairs on Swanson just north of flinders street I've attached a pic from yesterday :) also I wanted to have lunch at an old cafe from back in the day which still had the wall mounted jukes and they still work checkout the sign out the front oh the memory's:) anyone got any pics?

Offline McKie1

• Forum Posts:
Re: Melbourne CBD Pinball & arcades of the 70's
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
I too remember that downstairs place. Aaahhh the memories :)

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 07:34:59 PM »
I remember it too, you used to turn right at the bottom of the stairs......Spent/lost plenty of money in that place.

Is that you in the jukebox shot Pete.......In the far background........You changed your hair mate?  :lol :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »
I remember that place - I think it was called "Flashbacks".

Left was McDonalds and right was the games - This is where an operator had Black Hole, Haunted House and Spirit.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »
I do remember flash back next to mcdonalds down the stairs and I think this is the place. I used to get the train to flinders street on a Saturday morning the walk down to flash back and blow my paper round money.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »

Left was McDonalds and right was the games - This is where an operator had Black Hole, Haunted House and Spirit.

I also thought it was called flashback Nino but wasn't sure there was also tons of fun in I think Russell street?

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:34:36 PM »
I remember it too, you used to turn right at the bottom of the stairs......Spent/lost plenty of money in that place.

Is that you in the jukebox shot Pete.......In the far background........You changed your hair mate?  :lol :lol

Haha Michael nah hairs been the same for 40 odd years lol not sure who those randoms are.

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:54:07 PM »
thanks for the pic, looks like the tiles havent been changed either,

ate/played & spent a ton down there, space ace & dragons lair was massive hit also  ()

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:12:31 AM »

I also thought it was called flashback Nino but wasn't sure there was also tons of fun in I think Russell street?

I can't remember. There was a Timezone opposite the cinemas in Bourke St ? Then there was an arcade in Elizabeth Street. "Flashbacks" was the only arcade I went to in the city to play games. That's where the Haunted House, spirit and Black Hole were lined up. Then appeared a FIRE and Big Guns. I have a FIRE, but not a Big Guns (yet). I'd like to recreate that corner of the arcade one day !

These arcades were not around in the 70's from memory - maybe late 70's at the earliest. Most places to play pinball were cafe's, clubs and the local fish and Chip shop.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »

I can't remember. There was a Timezone opposite the cinemas in Bourke St ? Then there was an arcade in Elizabeth Street. "Flashbacks" was the only arcade I went to in the city to play games. That's where the Haunted House, spirit and Black Hole were lined up. Then appeared a FIRE and Big Guns. I have a FIRE, but not a Big Guns (yet). I'd like to recreate that corner of the arcade one day !

These arcades were not around in the 70's from memory - maybe late 70's at the earliest. Most places to play pinball were cafe's, clubs and the local fish and Chip shop.

Yeah I remember the Bourke St TZ and yep I was born in 1966 so the dates I travelled to the city to play pins and space invaders would have been 1979 to 1983 but as my dad worked in high street Northcote I played alot in small Italian cafes/coffee shops they where fun :) great era for me.

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
Remember them well! Great memories Pete! ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »

Yeah I remember the Bourke St TZ and yep I was born in 1966 so the dates I travelled to the city to play pins and space invaders would have been 1979 to 1983 but as my dad worked in high street Northcote I played alot in small Italian cafes/coffee shops they where fun :) great era for me.

So you would have frequented "Fiorentino's" or as it was know to the locals "24 Hours cafe". This was one of the first Cafe's that was converted into an amusement centre in Melbourne. Dad owned the place and obviously the machines. It was sold in the early 2000's after being run since the 1960's. At one stage, the side wall were full of Bally Bingos. I remember those days well as that's where I learnt to fix them (later on in the 80's). I was there when the place was emptied - and the line-up was a GTB Street Fighter II, KISS, Paragon, Star Trek, Space Invaders, Atari Le Mans car game, TMNT video, Street Fighter II video, soccer table and 2 billiard tables.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Melbourne CBD Pinball & arcades of the 70's
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »
^^^ I wish my memory was better lol I don't remember names I just remember playing games and drinking coffee from very small glass cups and they where strong :) anyway the result was Mum worked in Victoria st Richmond opposite Golden West amusements and dad bought me a "playball" in 1979  from there and that started it all.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 08:06:44 AM »
I too remember the place but not the name. But you can't beat the local places like Charlie's or George's of Sunshine etc. They had that personal touch. I have fond memories of personally being thrown out of both establishments by the owners for either winning too much on the bingos or roughing up their machines too much. Those were the days  *%* 
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
There was a large establishment on Mount Alexander Rd in Moonee Ponds called "Moonee Stars". I remember it very well as a child. Dad used to empty the 8 Bingo games, 6 pinballs, 2 billiard tables and the Soccer Table. When I started going there with Dad, I was only around 10-12 years old, but I was already a very good billiards player. The old wogs used to play for money, and while Dad was upstairs counting the takings, I would play against the Pool Sharks. The first couple of games, they let me win. Then they started to play seriously, and still could not beat me. Then they brought their "A" game, and I still beat them. It was like taking candy from a child, except I WAS the child taking the candy from the old timers. When Dad found out I was "gambling" (but I had NO idea what I was doing except playing billiards), he paid back the players I had beaten. We went there ever Sunday until I was 18, and I spend the afternoon playing billiards. We removed the machines in the early 90's - Star Trek, KISS, Nugent and Stingray. I can't remember he videos. The billiard tables were left behind for the new owners as we had nowhere to store them !