Author Topic: Australian Pinball Expo 2014  (Read 12395 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »

Most people I know don't even admit to even being a member on a forum when they go to a pinball meet, being worried that they get the " oh your on that forum are you" type comments.
The divisions between the forums will only continue sadly whilst events are only offered to one body of people and not openly shared with a totally open invitation to all pinheads regardless of forum membership.

I spam it up on both forums

I just tried to in order to reply to Mr Mathers incorrect posting... unfortunately, I can log in but unable to post anything as it seems when I hit the button to post im logged out again.
Just to add though.. im not complaining.. organisers can run it how they see fit. there aren't many businesses though who would travel the same path.. but hey, its their money and all the best to them. But lets not beat about the bush. Until last week ( or whenever the tickets went public) it was only a member of AA meet.. as is the lock in of some 300 tickets for what now appears to be only 180 machines.. 2 people per machine if sold out.. theres value right there!

Good luck to the organisers..

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
that is odd, Queenslanders can do no wrong at AA

:p

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »
that is odd, Queenslanders can do no wrong at AA

:p

LOL- im English and don't recognise the interstate rivalry.. plus the beer is crap and I say marOOn not marone.
Sets me apart from the word go..

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
The forum vs forum thing is dumb
most of us don't care, but there are a small handful that need to grow up

The issue isn't as simplistic as you are trying to make it appear.  ()

maybe, but one thorn has disappeared lately

Mmm.. cryptic stuff eh??

Unfortunately some thorns are like cancer and continue to return and cause problems for all.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:34 PM »
I don't usually post on these threads as normally people have strong opinions one way or the other and won't listen the opposing view (regardless of what side is correct). Not judging anyone on AP or AA with this statement, just an observation.

I am going to Expo and reckon it is going to be fantastic - the main reason i am going is to catch up with people i have met through the hobby and both forums

I really think the whole forum v forum thing is nonsense. People from both forums need to calm down, forget the past and move on.

Personally - i didn't get into the hobby until more recent years, so have no baggage. I am reasonably active on both forums and don't know all the background - hence why i think it is OK not to take sides in my situation.

One thing i will say, is that the organisers of Expo have put massive amounts of effort and $$$ into it so far - one has just posted (i won't copy word for word) saying that the event is completely open to the public and is an inclusive, not exclusive event. He also stated AP was offered a stall at no cost - i am not trying to stir trouble here, just sharing some comments of one of the organisers.

For what its worth - i have met people from both AA and AP that are absolute legends and very willing to share time, experience and a passion for the hobby.  I also have communicated with a small minority members of both forums who i probably will choose not to in the future as some are plain rude and disrespectful.  What i am trying to point out is that we are all PEOPLE with good and bad points.  No one individual is a forum or sole representative of a forum, they are all real humans, and most are good blokes and chicks.

In relation to some previous comments - yes there were tickets made exclusively to some groups (not only AA, but another two groups that i think were various members of leagues or competitions). While i would not to choose to do it that way, the event organisers did, and since its their money, its their call.  Maybe their motive was to offer a reward to guys that they have a connection with through various activities??? Also probably worth pointing out that there is no reference to either forum on the expo website.

In terms of the price - to me i got a lock in ticket (still available to anyone) and see value in it as it will be a chance to hang around likeminded people and some very good friends i have made through the hobby and play some pinball - i suspect i will do a lot more yarning than playing. To me, $30 is pretty good for a full day. Comparing to the Gold Coast club (been twice - awesome event) which is $15 from memory for 4- 6 hours, its pretty comparable - plus having such a wide variety of machines from the 40's through to now as well as some super rare titles is an opportunity that not many of us hobbyists get very often.

Anyway, they are a few of my thoughts and i respect other peoples opinions as well as the fact there may be underlying issues of which i am unaware.

I'm looking forward to heading down to Sydney in a couple of days and having a blast!

Offline blue95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hunter Valley
Re: Pinball Memories at the Australian Pinball Expo 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
I wouldn't go based on the AA us and them ticket sales practices of the past.
At $30 a day, sounds like someone's going for a nice money grab.
Is this like the other pinball expo where they said they were raising $$ for charity then the two blokes kept the lot....

Hope it works out for you Oscar.

What year was the money from this event stolen? I'm assuming you're talking about Newcastle pinfest.

Offline nath2099

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »
Being new to the collector/custom pinball scene, and not knowing the issues that have lead to the current situation in regards to various forums, I reckon $30 to play pinnes all day sounds reasonable! Moving, setting up and maintaining and 150 pinnies isn't a small job I'd imagine.

Very much looking forward to this weekend, especially looking forward to seeing WoZ in the flesh. Would be fantastic to have an expo in Aus that the P3 guys could justify attending economically... maybe next year!

Offline rusty_dagger

• Forum Posts:
  • Collingwood Park QLD
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 12:35:30 AM »
Newb to this site and member also to the other. I wasnt aware of the conflict between the two. Seems to be some uninformed info here and comments made just to stir up sh*t.
Donated to this site and was hoping to be an active member of both.
Expo is an event that ALL should feel welcome to attend and now I realise why the organisers have said in the past that EVERYONE is welcome to attend
Its sad if it is seen as an AA exclusive event as I am sure that isnt true and I havent gotten that feeling from posts on AA.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 01:07:02 AM »
Guys, just to set the record straight, Michael Shalhoub made contact with me on two occasions (around May before he went O/S - not exactly sure) for his bi-annual phone call about pinball. We talk a couple of times a year. I consider Michael a long time pinball friend. We chat about a wide range of pinball related topics.

He mentioned to me that an Expo was being organized and he suggested that Aussie Pinball and my Business - Australian Pinball Restorations be involved in some capacity. The second call was to inform me (as co owner of AP and director of APR), that it was his intention to involve both AP and APR, and that we would be contacted by the organizers to arrange two free stalls at the Expo.  While Michael was close to the organizers, it seemed two others were the driving force. There were some dramas, but the event was still in the process of being planned / organized. During this conversation I raised the concern that tickets were not available outside Aussie Arcade - where the Expo was being promoted. The event website was not even up I believe at that time.

My stance (and Nick agreed) was that as soon as we can buy tickets, that AP members can buy tickets, and our (APR) customers can buy tickets, that we would consider the idea of participating.

It made no sense to be shutting down my business and hauling up a truckload of restored games for a week until the event became public and accessible to my customer base and of course the forum members here. That was earlier this year. There were no calls from anyone associated with the event to either Nick or myself thereafter, and certainly neither of us hung up on anyone who (claims to have) called - the only calls were to me by Michael as above, and I am not likely to hang up on a well respected pinball colleague !

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It didn't progress as indicated. That's not a decision we made.

I hope everyone has a great pinball experience at the event.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 01:20:04 AM »
Is this like the other pinball expo where they said they were raising $$ for charity then the two blokes kept the lot....

What year was the money from this event stolen? I'm assuming you're talking about Newcastle pinfest.

Only cause you asked, I will politely respond.

I didn't use the word stolen as you did. I didn't mention the Newcastle Pinfest as you have also.
However, I was told directly by a committee member who shall remain un named that ten grand was raised, but only 2 grand went to charity. It may be completely true or completely incorrect, depending on who u speak to.
It seems the history of Aussie Pinball expos are anything but dull. Lol

By the way, This is to no person specifically, but I hate fence sitters. I do however respect people for at least having an opinion, whether it makes them popular or not. When the discriminatory practices of the past go away, then no one will complain or have anything controversial to mention.

I hope people enjoy the expo. I would have liked to go, but since it seems it was never advertised on this forum, it makes it hard to go to something u didn't know existed. Until today....

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 01:22:21 AM »
Guys, just to set the record straight, Michael Shalhoub made contact with me on two occasions (around May before he went O/S - not exactly sure) for his bi-annual phone call about pinball. We talk a couple of times a year. I consider Michael a long time pinball friend. We chat about a wide range of pinball related topics.

He mentioned to me that an Expo was being organized and he suggested that Aussie Pinball and my Business - Australian Pinball Restorations be involved in some capacity. The second call was to inform me (as co owner of AP and director of APR), that it was his intention to involve both AP and APR, and that we would be contacted by the organizers to arrange two free stalls at the Expo.  While Michael was close to the organizers, it seemed two others were the driving force. There were some dramas, but the event was still in the process of being planned / organized. During this conversation I raised the concern that tickets were not available outside Aussie Arcade - where the Expo was being promoted. The event website was not even up I believe at that time.

My stance (and Nick agreed) was that as soon as we can buy tickets, that AP members can buy tickets, and our (APR) customers can buy tickets, that we would consider the idea of participating.

It made no sense to be shutting down my business and hauling up a truckload of restored games for a week until the event became public and accessible to my customer base and of course the forum members here. That was earlier this year. There were no calls from anyone associated with the event to either Nick or myself thereafter, and certainly neither of us hung up on anyone who (claims to have) called - the only calls were to me by Michael as above, and I am not likely to hang up on a well respected pinball colleague !

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It didn't progress as indicated. That's not a decision we made.

I hope everyone has a great pinball experience at the event.

Good to hear the facts Nino.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline blue95

• Forum Posts:
  • Hunter Valley
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 01:28:35 AM »

Only cause you asked, I will politely respond.

I didn't use the word stolen as you did. I didn't mention the Newcastle Pinfest as you have also.
However, I was told directly by a committee member who shall remain un named that ten grand was raised, but only 2 grand went to charity. It may be completely true or completely incorrect, depending on who u speak to.
It seems the history of Aussie Pinball expos are anything but dull. Lol

By the way, This is to no person specifically, but I hate fence sitters. I do however respect people for at least having an opinion, whether it makes them popular or not. When the discriminatory practices of the past go away, then no one will complain or have anything controversial to mention.

I hope people enjoy the expo. I would have liked to go, but since it seems it was never advertised on this forum, it makes it hard to go to something u didn't know existed. Until today....

Someone's telling you rubbish, but believe it if you want.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 02:02:18 AM »
I think I responded/posted on the wrong thread. Sorry, just realised their are two seperate threads that look very similar.

I wonder if on any of the AA threads/posts if it specifically ever said "any person from any forum " is welcome to attend.....that would have cleared things right up. Maybe it was mentioned that way? , does anyone know if those words were used specifically.

Were those words ever used.
I guess its old news now.
What we need is a photo of all the Moderators from both forums at a expo event all shaking hands and smiling together in a nice photo....(ok, I am just being comedic now)... Lol

Have fun at the expo and good luck Oscar with your stall.  ^^^

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:08:19 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 04:07:14 AM »
Cavey, the question is whydid the expo oorganizers not post details  of the event on this forum as well as AA?
Surely you would advertise as widely as possible
Surely you would want booths filled with restoration suppliers (like Retropin) rather than another container guy (sorry Oscar)?

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 04:22:48 AM »
It is funny how some people who never post on this forum seem to know everything that gets posted here

Loosing respect