Author Topic: fix my ping  (Read 1876 times)

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
fix my ping
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Greetings all, .... There's a game I like to play on line called CALL OF JUAREZ (cowboy simulation). .... When I log on my ping shows somewhere like 325!! ...all the time. ... Most guys have a ping from 40-80 or so... They say I 'lag' and sometimes I get kicked off the game server. .... My ping going to my server is good ...less than 30 I think. ......
When I asked Big Pond if they could fix it, ... they offered me their 1 time $120 platinum service. .... if we can't fix it, you don't pay for it.
........... I didn't do this on principle .... here we have my provider telling me they'll fix a problem for me if I pay them $120 .... originally it $200! ..... There's something not right with this picture. ..... I've been them since the days of the PMG!!
.......... Does anyone understand my 'ping' problem, and how to fix it. ..... and explain that to me so I might understand? Cheers, Mark

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: fix my ping
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
GDay Mark .. can't really help you but why stick with Telstra ?? We gave them the flick over 15 years ago .
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:00:21 PM »
Have you set it up as a gaming application/firewall exception in your router settings?

mark jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
........ thanks for getting back. ..... I have set up nothing ..... I don't know anything about router settings ....... BigPond told me over the phone it had something to do with my modem (the set-up of it, I guess). .... It's a new modem from Telstra and when I installed it, ... it made absolutely no difference to when I had the old modem. .....

Here's a little story to 'explain' why I haven't dumped them (yet). ...... A couple of years ago I changed my Elect and Gas provider as they offered 16% discount for Elect and 14% for gas. ..... All was good for 12 months until my new Company said "the 12 months is up. We are not offering anything more than 9%". ..... I said "are you serious?" ...they were so I hunted around for a better deal and wound up back at the old provider I used to have. They offered 16% elect, and 12 or 14% for gas. .... All good. Then as it went just 2 weeks into this new deal I got a call from the Provider I had just left. Now, all of a sudden they could offer me the same as what I had been on when I was with them the first time. .?.?.?.? ..... I managed to explain to them that through their own inflexible stupidity, they had lost me as a customer, and now, when I've signed on with someone else, they now offer me what I already had with them!!!!

So, that's why I'm reluctant to change any of these things unless it's absolutely necessary.

.....The longer I live --- the less I understand.

I appreciate your help. thanks.

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 03:46:39 PM »
Applications (games, torrent client programs etc) usually need to be set up as exceptions within the modem itself to allow incoming traffic (high speed transmission of data) specific to that application.

If you are using a "Gateway" model type modem from Telstra and you are on adsl access and above (not cable) you can access the modem settings by typing the following into your browser address bar:

and then entering your NR account number username and password to acess the modem settings. If you don't know these or have access to them you will need to contact Telstra to verify yourself and they will give them to you.

Once inside the modem settings there is an easy to follow menu which shows all the options available. One of them is gaming/sharing applications under the Toolbox main menu. The game itself will need to be added to the list of applications and manually assigned a port number to access.

Let us know how it goes and if it fixes the problem.

Good luck with it.  ^^^

mark jackson

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
I did a few things. .... I added the game, but do not know how to assign a port for the game. Also, on U-Tube there was a guy who had some instructions. ...... I had to right click on something, then open something, then I had to make a new file (TCIP from memory) and give it a value of 1 in a box that came up. Then I had to make another file (forget the name) and give it a value of 1 (in the box). I did as he said and this is what happened. Immediately after this, my ping went from about 325 down to 260. .... a good start I thought. BUT, the next day, my ping seemed to be worse than before .... now its from 350-400+.
.... I didn't understand any of this, so I've left it for now. ... and now I can't remember what I right clicked on to do the stuff I've just mentioned.
This is how it goes when you just don't understand computers very well. ........ any of this make sense to you?? Mark.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
This is why I hate computers. Everything is a friggin nightmare.
Also, the people who design the software NEVER make it easy. Everything is a shit fight and none of it is common sense and straight forward.

I am sure the entire computer industry in Silicone Valley is sitting there on a daily basis laughing their heads off and saying "this will frustrate them, I just designed another program that will make people scream and yell at their computers for sure". Then they all high five each other as another few billion computer users say "who the fark designed this stupid program". ^&^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »
I did a few things. .... I added the game, but do not know how to assign a port for the game. Also, on U-Tube there was a guy who had some instructions. ...... I had to right click on something, then open something, then I had to make a new file (TCIP from memory) and give it a value of 1 in a box that came up. Then I had to make another file (forget the name) and give it a value of 1 (in the box). I did as he said and this is what happened. Immediately after this, my ping went from about 325 down to 260. .... a good start I thought. BUT, the next day, my ping seemed to be worse than before .... now its from 350-400+.
.... I didn't understand any of this, so I've left it for now. ... and now I can't remember what I right clicked on to do the stuff I've just mentioned.
This is how it goes when you just don't understand computers very well. ........ any of this make sense to you?? Mark.

Hi Mark,

You are on the right track.  ^^^

Rather than generic youtube instructions, here is a link to some easier to follow step by step instructions for port forwarding that applies specifically to the standard Technicolor Gateway modem/router that Telstra supplies when you sign up with them.
http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/How-to-configure-Port-Forward-on-your-Home-Network-Gateway/td-p/94190
If you are with Telstra I have to presume that you are using the stock standard modem/router they supply for new customers?  These instructions apply to any Gateway model style modem/router so the model (TG) number itself doesn't matter.

If you have successfully logged into the router settings at 10.0.0.138 (as descibed in my previous post) you should be looking at a screen like this:

Then go:
Gaming and Application sharing
Create and New gaming or sharing application
Add a name: (Call of Juarez)
And choose Manual entry of port maps (see link below)

I also did some googling for you and found the specific port numbers you will need to enter to port forward the game Call Of Juarez here:
https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/FAQ/9/3131/what-ports-do-i-need-to-have-open-in-my-router--firewall-in-order-to-play-call-of-juarez-bound-in-blood-online/kA030000000eSNLCA2

Hope this helps a bit more.  ()

EDIT: forgot to ask, do you have Norton Antivirus running on your PC? Some antivirus programs (like Norton) may have additional "real time protection" settings which block or limit fast access to applications like online games. You may need to check this (or temporarily disable the AV program) whilst you set up Call of Juarez. Same with Windows built in firewall - temporarily disable it, set up your ports and then add Call of Juarez as an exception in Windows firewall.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:13:51 PM by pinsanity »