Author Topic: What's your answer/thoughts ?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
What's your answer/thoughts ?
« on: December 21, 2014, 02:52:41 AM »
Some say Sterns biggest seller DMD title was The Simpsons. ?

But is it ACDC or will it be The Walking Dead ?
What is Sterns biggest seller ?

Simpsons
ACDC
The Walking Dead ( ?? By the end of 2015 ??)

What do u think ? What Stern title will be the biggest seller ??

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: What's your answer/thoughts ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:59:08 AM »
The Simpsons, it has wider appeal

ACDC, you have to like the band, it would do well in some locations, it would do well in pubs, but many arcades promote themselves as Family Centers
the playfield is still fugly

TWD, you have to like the theme, many people would not buy it if they have small kids, remember the USA market is more conservative than we are

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »
Impossible to say because Stern don't publish production numbers.

According the the operators I've spoken to, it is definitely not going to be TWD, as they are not buying them in the numbers they did for AC/DC (price hike backlash).

Going on the number of games available these days - Terminator 3 or Striker Extreme would be my guess.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »

Going on the number of games available these days - Terminator 3 or Striker Extreme would be my guess.
?
why would you say those two titles?

TSPP, ACDC, Tron, Spiderman, LOTR, Stern has sold enough of these titles to run them through production multiple times
I would think that both T3 and Striker Extreme would have been one run and done
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:06:33 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »
My guess would be #1 LOTR, #2 TSPP and #3 AC/DC.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »
A lot of those multiple run machines were produced in smaller subsequent runs after the primary production run based on specific requests from 80 pound gorilla distributors. There is often a perception that there are so many of them out there (POTC is another one). That webbed siderail version SM you have PBP was done at the specific request of Betson Amusements. Smaller distros like KJWHF in Perth and AMD then piggybacked off that order to boost the numbers.

Stern supposedly only needs an order of ~100 units to justify putting a title back onto the production line as a one off run if the customer has some clout.

My prediction is that ACDC was and will remain the high water mark due to as Strangeways said the price point. Entry level machines (Pro) need to be priced at $5kAU ($3kUS) to get sales figures that will ever cover come close to matching that. Anything priced at $7k or above and people will simply turn to alternatives at the same price point (i.e. A list Bally/Williams titles) - particularly considering how much Pro models drop in value over the subsequent 12-18 months after unboxing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:56:10 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
Id agree, ACDC will be the last of the big sellers here due to it being only $6000 (or $6500 ) to buy the basic model
those days are gone :(

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »
I think you could say that ACDC was Sterns biggest seller in Australia.
Joe, from Kids Just Wanna Have Fun in Perth, has told me that he's spewing they have stopped production because he's always getting asked for them.
I've no doubt that The Simpsons was a big seller and so was LotR but ACDC I think will have beaten them, at least in Australia.

Always been curious why Stern don't release production numbers.
It would be cool to know how many of certain titles were produced.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »

?
why would you say those two titles?

TSPP, ACDC, Tron, Spiderman, LOTR, Stern has sold enough of these titles to run them through production multiple times
I would think that both T3 and Striker Extreme would have been one run and done

Easy - These games are the most commonly imported games into Australia. So that suggests to me that there were a lot of these games produced. It is rare to see a LOTR. TSPP are not that common, but AC/Dc Pro machines appeared on lists in early 2013. Operators MUST have bought a lot of Striker Extremes, T3 and Playboys. Could it be that there was a large volume of games ? Are the LOTRs still on location ? 
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
Every answer so far has been excellent and I am stoked so many people have joined in.
Keep the opinions coming cause it's a good topic.

By not producing production titles, I think it keeps the resale figures higher because u think a game is rare cause most people probably imagine conservative figures sold versus inflated numbers ?

I asked AMD what was there biggest seller ever over and above ACDC and the answer surprisingly was X Men easily.
So it seems X Men beats all before it except ACDC.
I am told that the TWDead figures will beat X Men by AMD. So that is also surprising. X Men beats out Spider-Man and LOTR and all the others. But you don't see many X Men up for sale but you do see a lot of other Stern titles on ebay etc etc. I will say the quality of X Men as a game and as a manufactured piece was very high on the quality list.

I think TWDead will do some big numbers, maybe not as big as ACDC but if it is going to beat out X Men than its very popular.

What will Stern have to build to beat out TWDead ?

Wondering what is their next game is always intriguing to me.
Love wondering what magic comes next.

Another question I wanted people's opinions on, is WHO is the best designer of all time at Stern.
My answer is John Borg (aka Borgy) who I think is a genius.
He beats out Steve Ritchie (aka The King) in my opinion by a small margin.
I could tally up all the pre Stern games for both designers production runs for all their non Stern games, but without the real Stern sales figures we will never really know who has sold the most units by total games figures and designs.

I might do a list of every game each legend has designed to see who has designed the most pinball machines.
There's probably 20 to 25 games each by now.

Stern is on a winner with Borgy and The King on the payroll.
And more magic to come from both. Very cool.

Who's the best, Borgy or SR. ? ? ?

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:00 AM »
The thing that surprises me is you never see Sterns Indiana Jones for sale
This was the first of the Sterns sold at $6500, and people other than AMD were importing them
An average game, would not be a keeper in many peoples collections, but they rarely come up for sale

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 02:11:26 AM »
Yes, those Stern Indianna Jones are keepers. Bit like the treasure in the movies, hard to get but not easy to let go of.

Batman was another of Sterns beauties people just keep. Probably one of the nicest cabinet art jobs ever. The batbike looked just awesome.
I am slowly trying to get all the Sterns if they are HUO. Just addicted to Stern DMDs. All so very keepable and all unique eye candy. Need to win lotto n buy a warehouse.

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
I always thought Stern's Indy was meant to be rubbish, but despite the simple looking playfield, have heard it's not such a bad game. It's made me curious. One of those games I'd like to own at least for a short while. Another one on that list for me is The Sopranos. I had a giggle at a youtube video one day with all the swearing when the ball was in the pop bumpers.

I think AC/DC would be up there in top sellers with all the different versions.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
The thing that surprises me is you never see Sterns Indiana Jones for sale
This was the first of the Sterns sold at $6500, and people other than AMD were importing them
An average game, would not be a keeper in many peoples collections, but they rarely come up for sale

I'd have to disagree. I've seen them come up for sale quite often on ebay and gumtree. I'm sure there's one listed at the moment.