Author Topic: O.T. camcorder rationalization after-the-fact  (Read 3154 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Re: O.T. camcorder rationalization after-the-fact
« on: December 27, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »
Yea I don't mind their products. Actually, they tend to make very well-designed products better than most. Definitely a shame.
It's their business philosophy I don't care for. In my experience, everything I ever bought from Sony (not for over 15 years now since my personal "boycott") you had to be chained down to some kind of proprietary file format, software, DRM, stupid connector or the like when they most certainly did NOT have to make it that way. They apparently don't want you to have the freedom to just own and use their product as you like it, but rather they try to tie you to their line when it could have just been easily fit to one of the several, high-quality, proven universal formats in existence. It's not just their products either. They are extremely heavy-handed with the media and performers, etc. they claim to own.

I used to like Olympus too but they got to where they were making you use their memory cards and such too even though more universal, proven formats existed.

In case they are watching (HA!) this chases customers away, you goofballs! That billion-dollar brand loyalty goes out the window. Just stupid.

Anyway, I experienced the last straw with them on something I bought a long, long time ago and I vowed never to buy anything else with the Sony brand out there. They just sicken me.
So that's why I like Canon. You own their product once they sell it to you and there is quite a bit of hacking and tweaking for their equipment out there which can expand their capabilities if their stuff isn't complex enough for you out of the box. Personally I tend to use just simple settings and just a few built-in adjustments, but it's nice to know the stuff is out there.

So I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy. I bought it with Christmas money by the way, hehe.
The one thing I already forgot to look into is that I would like to be able to mount a wide-angle lens attachment to the thing for a special application (fireworks) and I'll bet I'm stuck with not being able to do so on that. Oh well. My last camera had that fault too and I still did OK with it. You just have to stand back farther.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.