Author Topic: Stern "The Walking Dead" LE Review  (Read 58298 times)

Offline KBRI1700

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern "The Walking Dead" LE Review
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »
Using exchange rate variations as an excuse for poor value for money is a cop-out.

The price is what it is now not when AC\DC was on the market.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
What code did the game have ? Early code was a complete catastrophe, and later code is much much better. Two ramps shots are great. Prison multiball is a blast, and the well walker mutliball is dead easy. Cascade multiballs, and "kill" as many zombies as possible. The game is "violent" - just look at the blood splatter detail on the clear plastic protectors all over the playfield.

You may have a point here. I got stuck into the game straight away with a few ramp to ramp shots etc. My son lost his first ball real quick and got ball save but then lost that almost immediately.
His score was in the millions.. I was on 11000!

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:58 PM »
The show was good but it has gotten to the point of jumping the shark in season 6, plot lines are getting stupid.
The game is good but not brilliant, there are heaps of better games around.
Played the LE and the Pro and I prefer the LE.

CSI
Sopranos
Walking Dead

How often do the first three get brought in pinball discussion? All shows that had a loyal fan base at the time which the writers then proceeded to take for granted, thereby burning their own bridges.

TWD pin is only talked about because the show is still running.

Once it ends, the pinball itself as a typical middle of the road Stern title will be quickly forgotten about.

Using exchange rate variations as an excuse for poor value for money is a cop-out.

Yep. swinks Stern price watch thread has shown there is little correlation between the product price rises and in many cases is outpacing global currency fluctuations.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 11:06:06 PM »
The show was good but it has gotten to the point of jumping the shark in season 6, plot lines are getting stupid.

CSI
Sopranos

Walking Dead

How often do the first three get brought in pinball discussion? All shows that had a loyal fan base at the time which the writers then proceeded to take for granted, thereby burning their own bridges.

Once it ends, the pinball itself as a typical middle of the road Stern title will be quickly forgotten about.

Yep. swinks Stern price watch thread has shown there is little correlation between the product price rises and in many cases is outpacing global currency fluctuations.

Sopranos is a game that is requested often. Right up there with Family Guy and Simpsons, and a lot easier to source.

CSI - Absolutely an "A" Grade Stern. Well thought out ruleset - easy to pick up but notoriously difficult to beat. Awesome design, but the theme is not that popular nowadays. I really rate this game - never gave it a second look until I read up on the game. You don't watch the artwork, you watch the ball. I'd say this is my favorite Stern.

Not every Stern hits the mark, and we always over rate our favorite themes or games. I've never played 24 - I'd play one if I could find one. Playboy is an underrated machine that when reconditioned correctly, looks and plays really well.

I really like TWD - theme is awesome and the table itself is great.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern "The Walking Dead" LE Review
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:09 PM »

CSI
Sopranos

Walking Dead

Sopranos is a game that is requested often. Right up there with Family Guy and Simpsons, and a lot easier to source.

CSI - Absolutely an "A" Grade Stern. Well thought out ruleset - easy to pick up but notoriously difficult to beat. Awesome design, but the theme is not that popular nowadays. I really rate this game - never gave it a second look until I read up on the game. You don't watch the artwork, you watch the ball. I'd say this is my favorite Stern.

Not every Stern hits the mark, and we always over rate our favorite themes or games. I've never played 24 - I'd play one if I could find one. Playboy is an underrated machine that when reconditioned correctly, looks and plays really well.

I really like TWD - theme is awesome and the table itself is great.

100% agree Nino:) Sopranos is a super fun game and great theme-TWD will be like Tron always sort after for years to come, the latest code made it a top 10 table. It's an incredibly popular game here and overseas as its a real players game :). Crap players may not enjoy it as the rules are deep and you need to think about each shot typical Lyman code just awesome. So many great Sterns out there and now GB coming :)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 04:42:25 AM »
If the Aus $ was at 1.13 and now it's .71 cents USA, that's a huge difference.

If the ACDC was $6300 and the current is $7850 or $8100 depending on what offer u get from AMD, based on the Aus dollar alone, the current price is WELL under what the Dollar says it really should be.
Simple math says the current price is about $1500 cheaper than the price the exchange rate would dictate.

It's not only pinballs which have increased. I bought two jet skis two years ago for $16,990 which were about two grand off each for a cash buy for the pair.
The current price is $20,990 because of the $.

Pinballs are still well priced using the dollar comparison. A lot changes in 4 or 5 years.
The Pro is priced always as the best value for money but people are too hung up on the small shiny bits on a LE and pay too much. Never a deal on a LE but always a deal on a great Pro.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
Great looking at some old threads.  Wouldn't pay more than $7k for a walking dead. Pretty soon you won't be able to buy the topper for it at $7k lol.

I have owned the premium for a couple of years now and it's a great game with code 1.60. Floow, rule set and fun factor make it a great game. Air balls not much but yes the fast shot to arena ramp is crazy airballing at times.

Crossbow is reliable and responsive on mine and I don't get many cheap Sdtm from the pops and none from prison. Scores I average in the 100mil and top in the billions.

It's a keeper for me and prices guys,  premiums are going for $14-15k now WTF. Crazy prices these days indeed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:51:31 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
Greg's Walking Dead LE has never left my Showroom, and I occasionally play it. I think Greg paid $12.5K or thereabouts... I've been offered $16K on more than one occasion. No topper.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2021, 12:24:58 PM »
Greg's Walking Dead LE has never left my Showroom, and I occasionally play it. I think Greg paid $12.5K or thereabouts... I've been offered $16K on more than one occasion. No topper.
Beautiful game the LE and as we all know they nailed this game with the code, always going to demand a very high price :)