Author Topic: Fish Tales - Topper parts  (Read 448 times)

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
Fish Tales - Topper parts
« on: January 02, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy a Fish Tales project, but it doesn't have the topper  @.@

Now I'm pretty much a topper kinda guy  &&, so I was wondering if anyone had some topper parts (or a complete unit) lying around that they may be willing to part with?

I'm especially after the wood panel (Part # 11-1059 ) that the fish is mounted on with the fitted screened translite (Part # 31-1692), as it appears that while I can source the other parts, the screened translite doesn't come up on any of the searches that I have done.

Cheers,

Andy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:09:40 PM by andtan »

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Fish Tales - Topper parts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
Plenty of Fish Tales coming in.  Unless its a super dooper great price I'd wait for one with a topper.

Unlike others, it plays a key (some say annoying) role.

I did know of one locally here in super great condition the owner was selling...Perfect cleared playfield and everything else to boot.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »
Thanks Marty,

I am after a project pin, so the one you mentioned might be a bit too good for what I am after.

I have noticed that there have been quite a few Fish Tales on eBay / Gumtree of late - and many of them are missing either the topper, the metal reel (shooter) handle or both, and they have all been > $3500. Nicer examples are up above the $4000 mark.

I know the market changes, and worth is determined by what buyers are willing to pay, but what's the current thinking for a 'super dooper' price for a project Fish Tales? I have an idea of what I think is a fair price in today's market, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Andy

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:19:14 PM »
Thanks Marty,

I am after a project pin, so the one you mentioned might be a bit too good for what I am after.

I have noticed that there have been quite a few Fish Tales on eBay / Gumtree of late - and many of them are missing either the topper, the metal reel (shooter) handle or both, and they have all been > $3500. Nicer examples are up above the $4000 mark.

I know the market changes, and worth is determined by what buyers are willing to pay, but what's the current thinking for a 'super dooper' price for a project Fish Tales? I have an idea of what I think is a fair price in today's market, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Andy

I used to love a good project, but if you do it properly quite often is cheaper in the long run to get a complete / good machine (if and only if you know the history of it).
For a Fish Tales its gotta have the Topper and shooter rod handle to begin with.  Plastics and cab art is normal to replace ($500+ there, not including paint or labour on the cab).
If the playfield is worn around the tackle box or insert wear around fish (common), then depending on how nice you want it can be a touchup / clear or a repro playfield.
Ramp - sometimes broken , sometimes not.

I think if you can get a project one at the right price (in my view with topper and shooter handle) for say less than $1850.00 then by the time you spend $1000 to $1500 on it puts it in the nice / keeper status.

Its a great fun game and funny.  I miss mine lots.

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:33:19 PM »
Your price is pretty close to what I'm looking at (mine's a wee bit higher) - but it doesn't have the topper.

My last (and first) project was White Water, and I only had to wait 2.5 years to find an original topper for that :D

The time and effort I put into restoring that was very satisfying when I finally turned it on and had a game. I'm looking for the same labour / reward scenario from a Fish Tales, as buying a pin that's a 'all done' I don't find as satisfying.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
Your price is pretty close to what I'm looking at (mine's a wee bit higher) - but it doesn't have the topper.

My last (and first) project was White Water, and I only had to wait 2.5 years to find an original topper for that :D

The time and effort I put into restoring that was very satisfying when I finally turned it on and had a game. I'm looking for the same labour / reward scenario from a Fish Tales, as buying a pin that's a 'all done' I don't find as satisfying.

I do understand the satisfaction of completing all the work yourself.  You also have the knowledge that it was done correctly and not just a nifty n rag clean and the easy to get to parts cleaned in the quickest amount of time.

I'd still probably keep looking for one with a topper.  Unless the playfield is a 10/10 you should be able to pick one up as is, straight out of the container for sub $2k.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 08:04:43 PM »
I have a new fish

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »
Thanks Marty,

Andy

There's not much of a gray area anymore. Project games used to be presentable and fairly priced. These days sellers price projects much higher than before and they are usually VERY bad. The reason for the price hike and lower quality is because sellers realize they are losing profits on these "rough" games because they need to pour more time and money into them. Profit margins are far lesser. Projects need to be really bad to let go of. some sellers flood the market  hoping to catch newbies unaware. I've seen at least a dozen this year that were really bad - but in some cases I've told customers what expenses they are looking at - but they still go ahead.

I don't sell projects for many reasons - unless it is a "Holy Grail" for someone and even after that, I explain ALL the scenarios where there can be potential cost blowouts.

There are plenty of sellers willing to part with project Fishtales - but you will be looking at $2000+ for a rough example with faded cabinet etc..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
Thanks Strangeways -  I appreciate your point of view.

I have a new fish

So Dan....... were you just telling me you bought a new fish, or that you have a new fish available?? &&

With my warped sense of humour it reminded me of those random statements people sometimes blurt out in conversations like: "I like kittens".  %.%

If you meant you have one I could buy, thanks very much. Shoot me PM and let me know how much.

Cheers,

Andy

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Obviously if there is a God, he has a sense of humour @.@

All I can say is "Wow!"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:36:41 PM by andtan »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 03:43:36 AM »
Fishtales have steadily risen in value and redecalled look terrific.
I haven't seen any examples go for sub 2 grand in years.
A FTales with a good playfield n even faded to hell decals are attracting great money because the game is such a keeper.
I remember seeing a FT for the first time ever and thinking "gee, they even make pinballs for fishing enthusiasts"...

When I first played the game I knew I had to have one. It's a crack up and it represents everything great about pinball.
I redecalled mine and love the topper. When the fish starts up, people usually get scared at first. They think what the fark is that !
Cool game.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !