Author Topic: KISS Pinball - I wanna "Shout it out Loud"  (Read 7748 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
KISS Pinball - I wanna "Shout it out Loud"
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
Love them or hate them a KISS pinball will be massive :) Europe Japan USA Australia the market for sales is crazy. KISS collectors and non pin heads will buy one just for the collection, it'll sit next to the 10k casket :) the artwork and music just lends its self to a pinball machine. License wouldn't have been cheap so I'm sure Stern will do it proud with the new system and LCD bring it on. Oh and with a KISS tour this year exciting times ahead
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:48:40 AM by Strangeways »

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Re: KISS Pinball - I wanna "Shout it out Loud"
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:05:16 AM »
Delarge likes this post.

BRING IT ON!!!! Can't wait to play an updated KISS with Love Gun playing while I slam those balls.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »
ZZZZZzzzzz

Again with 'KISS is awesone' ?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:12:41 AM »
I'm told it is definite. Not from anyone associated with Stern.  #@#

I've given my  :2cents: several times, and the topic of what incarnation of the band is represented on "any" product is a topic of furious debate on KISS Forums. Just to put things into context - If AC/DC replaced Angus with a short guitarist dressed in a school boys' uniform replaced Angus - would AC/DC fans accept that ? Pinball fans won't care - they buy the machine to play the game and possibly would not know the difference.

KISS fans (like Gorgar1 and many others) are roughly the same age. Most are SERIOUS Hardcore KISS fans - and no matter what anyone says - there is no other band with this sort of fanbase. Unique because of their history and WHO had been in the band - during what period. There are "original" fans (like me) that have followed the band since their heyday (1973-1978), then there are fans that picked up the band after they removed the makeup, then there are fans that follow the band since the Reunion. There are even fans of the current lineup - and here's where the topic turns to crap - Today's version of KISS is a cover band. Two member's dress, look and play like Peter Criss and Ace Frehley. So WHEN this game is released - who will be represented on the artwork - and from what period will the music be derived from ? Most original fans still celebrate the entire career (41 years), but ignore what the band is doing these days with the one exception - The induction into the RARHOF - which for the first time in history, chose bands based on public votes. Guess what line up was inducted ? The originals..

A quick scan of the merchandise section - 75% of the merch has the original members.
The last Aussie Tour - Both Etihad shows had run out of the original line up T-Shirts, and had a surplus of the designs with the current lineup.

An interesting fact for stern to consider - The WORST selling and least favorite solo album was Peter Criss' - it went platinum, but it is considered the worst album with the KISS logo on it. The current line up have released two albums that combined sales would have struggled to reach GOLD status in the USA (500,000 units).

So Stern really need to do a lot of homework on this title. Outside Pinball, most of my "longtime" buddies are music fans, KISS fans, or were in bands. There's at least 8 Stern KISS machines that would be sold DEPENDING on how they present it.

Original members with original artwork and music = Massive sales.
Cover band members with recent artwork and music = Biggest Stern flop of all time.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:51 AM »
People are going to whine if the artwork is photoshopped but the artwork on the original KISS machine wasn't much chop either so this is going to be a hard one for anyone to get right.
Personally, I think they should use a mix of the various album covers and the face painted band members from say 1978 should do the trick.
Then u have to work out which drummer you are going to lead with.

People are going to complain about the artwork no matter what is done.
I think Kiss Pinball will be the biggest whinge fest since the invention of the wheel.

But I hope they make it and hope people love it. Hope it's nothing like the other Kiss pinball which was iconic to look at but was an average player at best.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 11:30:13 AM »
Gene and Paul will want current lineup I'm sure-yes we'd all like Ace and Peter but that won't happen they've moved on. My gut feeling is like ACDC they will have sum sort of mention of the original guys say in artwork or they may have mention of all the band members throughout the years like Bruce Eric and so on. Stern will have to work with what Gene & Paul want but even with current lineup I don't think it'll be a flop.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
I bet a million that Steve Ritchie is doing KISS 2015.

Also, what are people going to think if it has a 2nd under playfield area like ACDC Premium/LE had.
It has to be a good player and the artwork has to be done right or you will never hear the end of it.

I reckon that the diehard fans will not buy it unless they are happy with the artwork, no matter how good a player it is.
The jukebox like ACDC will be great.

How many people will boycott the game if the art isn't to their liking ?
They should stick to the original members or at least allow for the different drummer from Criss to Carr from memory from the makeup era. After all, it was that lineup that cemented KISS being an industry.
I wouldn't put the latest members on the game at all. The music hasn't been any good since about 1978 give or take a few years. Lol

I just hope the artwork is accepted.
But this time round, it won't be Sterns fault, because Paul and Gene will be designing all the artwork. Rarely does anything get done unless Gene invents it. He is a perfectionist and only his vision makes it onto any product. Stern will have little input I reckon.

Will that make it easier to accept if you don't like the artwork if you are told the KISS boys designed it full stop.
Maybe that will keep people from lynching Gary Stern and team.
Bet you any money the price is higher cause the KISS boys want a lot of extra $$$.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 12:28:16 PM »
Cover band or originals, you will all still buy it because 'Let's wait until The next KISS game' is not an option

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:56:15 PM »
Cover band or originals, you will all still buy it because 'Let's wait until The next KISS game' is not an option

Good point.
1978 to 2015 is 37 years.
2015 plus 37 years is the year 2052.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »

Good point.

Even if it is only 10 years, few of us will still be collecting

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »
People are going to whine if the artwork is photoshopped but the artwork on the original KISS machine wasn't much chop either so this is going to be a hard one for anyone to get right.
Personally, I think they should use a mix of the various album covers and the face painted band members from say 1978 should do the trick.
Then u have to work out which drummer you are going to lead with.

People are going to complain about the artwork no matter what is done.
I think Kiss Pinball will be the biggest whinge fest since the invention of the wheel.

But I hope they make it and hope people love it. Hope it's nothing like the other Kiss pinball which was iconic to look at but was an average player at best.

The Bally 1978 KISS backglass is one of the most iconic pieces of pinball artwork in history. I know several KISS collectors that bought the IPB playfield BECAUSE of the artwork. they don't even own the game.

I've said it from the start, if Gary Stern has negotiated a deal with KISS - and leave KISS to decide the artwork package and decide on the artwork consisting of the current cover band line up, then is does not matter who designs it or whether it has photoshopped, or crayon drawn artwork - KISS fans will NOT buy it. Don't bother with a Premium or LE. Just make the game for operators. I understand that this is most likely the way they will go. KISS collectors throw $ at the original line up memorabilia.

In all honesty, if the cover band line up are selected, I really hope they do another title. It will be a MASSIVE whingefest - especially if Stern have allowed Gene and Paul to dictate artwork. Having said that, they both know that the original line up = BIG $ - But they have to pay royalties to Ace and Peter. Just look at the merchandising section on their website.

Honestly, I'm not known to be a Stern fan - but I really like TWD LE. If they came up with a similar art package with original members, the decision would be a no brainer. Sorry, but I can't see it.

No. Incorrect.

Not asking you to be a KISS fan, but you need to know one to understand the issue. ANY merchandise with Tommy Thayer dressed as Ace or Eric Singer dressed as Peter Criss is not part of my $50,000 collection. Nothing. I have spend ZERO $ on this band since 2004. None of my "generation" of KISS fans buys ANYTHING KISS related unless it has the originals. Give the two imitators NEW or different personas like they Did with Eric Carr or Vinnie Vincent - then I'm cool with it.

Good point.

Kiss were formed in 1973.

Their first concert was in a loft in Coventry, Queens New York - in front of an audience of 4 people. Three of those people worked the bar (was in Gene's book from memory).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
My dad still wants an original KISS to restore, but scoffs at the ebay pricing.

I can see myself getting a Stern KISS if it's a good game like the other music titles have been. I'm not invested in the band so much that I care about the "cover band" vs original members. They're all just a bunch of dudes in make-up anyway and the 12 tracks will be all studio recordings from their back catalogue. Like AC/DC having no reference to Bon Scott on the pinball, but his music was still in the game.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »

I can see myself getting a Stern KISS if it's a good game like the other music titles have been. I'm not invested in the band so much that I care about the "cover band" vs original members. They're all just a bunch of dudes in make-up anyway and the 12 tracks will be all studio recordings from their back catalogue. Like AC/DC having no reference to Bon Scott on the pinball, but his music was still in the game.

hey Pete, I think there's a bar or two in Melb where you can meet other dudes in make up as well. Dunno if they sing and play music though  @.@

But you're right, if its a good player, then who cares what line it has. I'm like you, I play pinball and buy it for the game. There are some that buy for showing off and the hope for financial gain and the rest that not having the right bits and pieces that stop them from buying. I don't mind the latter but the person who just has it sitting in a crate or on display.....what tha......go out and buy a painting it takes up less space.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
KISS Pinball - I wanna "Shout it out Loud"
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »

hey Pete, I think there's a bar or two in Melb where you can meet other dudes in make up as well. Dunno if they sing and play music though  @.@

But you're right, if its a good player, then who cares what line it has. I'm like you, I play pinball and buy it for the game. There are some that buy for showing off and the hope for financial gain and the rest that not having the right bits and pieces that stop them from buying. I don't mind the latter but the person who just has it sitting in a crate or on display.....what tha......go out and buy a painting it takes up less space.

Lol and high heals Rob :) look i don't agree with the cover band title, Gene and Paul are the founding members and Tommy & Eric are paid help. If Gene and Paul left Yep then it's a cover band and I'd be gone but until that happens the term cover band is abit harsh.  I'm just glad KISS are still playing Rock on boys.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:34 PM »
When I said 1978 to 2015 was 37 years, I was referring to the year they released the first Kiss Pinball.
And it's only been 37 years to the next Kiss pinball IF they do one in 2015.

Also, I can't see Gene or Paul from Kiss doing anything but 100 percent making ALL the decisions on the artwork.
Stern won't get a say. The bands members egos will dictate every inch of the artwork.
If it comes out fugly, I don't think anyone could realistically blame anyone but the band.