Author Topic: APR Update - 2015  (Read 14790 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: APR Update - 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »
Most people who run their own businesses usually don't see the work they are doing as "work" but more like paid enjoyment and therefore can usually work 12 hr days 6 days a week and collect plenty of money along the way.
I say make hey whilst the sun is shining and go hard but make every minute with your wife and kids extra special.

Get some extra staff Nino on a contractor style basis.
Pay them per job , not per hour and keep quality high etc etc.
You have done this with Tim etc obviously but why not find a few pinheads who live in your part of the world who you can employ to cut thru the work and make more income and therefore profit.
Stripping playfields etc and taking photos and with your supervision, this could be a walk in the park with a few good guys.
A pinball restoration business did this up here for 20 plus years very successfully. Food for thought.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 12:09:09 AM »
Most people who run their own businesses usually don't see the work they are doing as "work" but more like paid enjoyment and therefore can usually work 12 hr days 6 days a week and collect plenty of money along the way.
I say make hey whilst the sun is shining and go hard but make every minute with your wife and kids extra special.

Get some extra staff Nino on a contractor style basis.
Pay them per job , not per hour and keep quality high etc etc.
You have done this with Tim etc obviously but why not find a few pinheads who live in your part of the world who you can employ to cut thru the work and make more income and therefore profit.
Stripping playfields etc and taking photos and with your supervision, this could be a walk in the park with a few good guys.
A pinball restoration business did this up here for 20 plus years very successfully. Food for thought.

All good points  ^^^

My background is IT. Network Operating Systems and integration. I worked in very close teams for 10 years of my 24 year career. Constant communication with peers and a highly stressful job. Part of that responsibility was being the central point in Server Infrastructure serving over 20,000 people in 5 states. I loved it. But I grew tired of the "hustle and bustle", and I now need to work completely on my own. I'm used to micro managing - and now I'm doing that with this "job". I HAVE to have a TV or Radio on all the time - The culture shock from people constantly in my space to nothing is a real shock to the system.

Hire someone ? Not yet. I've had plenty of offers, and even people offering their services for free. I would NEVER do that - I would pay someone what they deserve.

I'm enjoying the workload - and I've had plenty of really great feedback from friends and customers. I NEED to STOP setting dates, and talking too much on the phone !!
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:52 AM »
Back in November I needed to make space for machines that were arriving from interstate and the container that is due. The place was a complete mess before I started, and to make it more organized, and easier to view each machine, I thought I'd arrange the EMs and SS in rows with the heads on top. So I started one day, and finished the next. I moved 165 pinballs - on my own, around the factory floor and placed the heads on top. Took 16 hours.

Here's the end of the mess and the start of the new arrangement ;

The row of SYS80 games is getting longer ! EMs next to them. The rows are basically organized into the manufacturer and the platform - SS or EM.

View from the mezzanine

So the older games are organized properly. There's a section devoted to DMDs, and around 20 DMDs in the showroom - but are not set up to play. Another section has the next set of Restorations, repairs and machines awaiting parts. It is a lot more organized than when I moved in.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 01:47:28 AM »
Looks great Nino. A lot of work.

A quick question ! Do u have any lower back disc degeneration or pinched nerves or perforated discs or any back damage at all from the many years of moving around these heavy monsters. Any permanent or niggling hassles.
Need to take any meds etc.
I hurt myself moving apx 60 pins in a one day period a while back and really hurt L3 L4 L5 and take daily Tramadoll 200 mg to live without agony. Back operation sooner or later unfort.
Have you been injury free or have u been unlucky.
(I use all the professional moving equipment but sometimes some stairs means your arms and legs have to do the work)

Are you 100 percent or ??
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:42 AM »
Looks very impressive Nino. I look forward to swinging by again soon.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »
Nice and tidy. Ever thought of utilising the overhead space? Even some old backglasses on the concrete walls or something.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
You got to admit, it does look impressive. I am a believer that you can gauge a business by the way it looks. If its clean and well organized, you can nearly always bank on quality work/service from that business. If its a mess and dirty the opposite seems to happen in my experience.

I think it shows the person's character.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
Looks great Nino. A lot of work.

A quick question ! Do u have any lower back disc degeneration or pinched nerves or perforated discs or any back damage at all from the many years of moving around these heavy monsters. Any permanent or niggling hassles.
Need to take any meds etc.
I hurt myself moving apx 60 pins in a one day period a while back and really hurt L3 L4 L5 and take daily Tramadoll 200 mg to live without agony. Back operation sooner or later unfort.
Have you been injury free or have u been unlucky.
(I use all the professional moving equipment but sometimes some stairs means your arms and legs have to do the work)

Are you 100 percent or ??

I have three prolapsed disks which are considered "moderate" in medical terms. L3-L4,L4-L5, L5-S1, (from memory). Surgery ruled out due to risks. I used to take anti inflammatory meds so I could play cricket (10 years ago). I stopped taking them as "the day after" was crippling. These days - back strengthening exercises, and I was taught how to lift heavy items and mentally prepare the muscles for lifting. Sudden movement or lifting can be troublesome. The last time I really hurt my back was when I sneezed. The first two prolapsed disks were from moving machines (20 years ago) and the third was digging the clay out of the front garden when we built the house (15 years ago). I don't take anything these days, I manage my back through exercise and preparation. Since "retiring" from my desk job, my back has been 100%. I think the worse pain is the sciatica which can be a problem. I take Panadol Forte for pain management.

Moving machines in this process involved a trolley and lifting each head on it's body. I worked with a systematic approach and was able to finish the job without any niggles.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 09:38:46 AM »
Nice and tidy. Ever thought of utilising the overhead space? Even some old backglasses on the concrete walls or something.

Yes - Mezzanine is 120 sqm approx including an office (I NEVER use the office !). I have plans for this area once I catch up with backlog - maybe this year. At the moment I store spare parts and playfields up there ! The factory area will eventually have a racking system.

The walls in the showroom will have backglasses, playfields and framed flyers. They will also be used for displaying other products..

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
Must smell like paradise in there? oh that beautiful smell of EM's.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Maybe you could use the mezzanine as housing for your Chinese workforce 

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
Wow tons of work to keep you busy  ^^^

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 06:13:03 PM »
Looks great! I thought It looked organised when I was there a few months ago, let alone now.... @@*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »

Where's that first container for 2015 at buddy?? Can hardly wait!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »

Where's that first container for 2015 at buddy?? Can hardly wait!!

Next Wed - Fri. Just waiting on a slot confirmation and it will be here same day. Hope you can make it !