Author Topic: Today's Repair  (Read 4750 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Today's Repair
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »
I read selling but I'll i heard was the walls of my shed bursting lol

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 03:03:58 AM »
Gottlieb "Solar City"
 Fault. Weak flipper. EOS switch not adjusted correctly , Fixed then showed owner how to fix incase it happens again.  Game Really nice for its     age   8/10... 

Bally "Xenon" .
 Game was rebooting! But then it stopped all together. Just a flicker the a dull glow on the LED and a hum that sounded not right .
 Replaced 5 connectors , New 12v filter cap ,Memory Cap installed, CPU still locked up  !@#
 The Ram chip turned out to be dead 6810.
That was after unplugging the SB. Bad( Vocalizer) sound board was causing the lock up i think. After i unplugged it , i could get the  CPU to flash a few times and then got the CPU to unlock.
The Sound Rom Chips look as baked as a crack pipe smoker!. All the legs looked cooked and a few legs starting or have broken off . Hope to get a set burnt on monday night .
Also new caps diodes etc to go into the Sound Board...

Bally "Kiss" poor old kiss , Not working for about 10 years.. Game needed Connectors, Memory cap installed and a few transistors replaced on  the SOL/DRV board some previous soldering work was shorting in a few places.
 All connectors on lamp board were cracked . Re- Soldered these and any that needed it , Game works well ...
 Game still all original , With manual and the Flyer for the game. even the broken and re-glued bumper caps and plastics.
 Faded cab . but nice still to look at , Playfield had loads of ball swirl but again   
 still looked good for its age with no real bad wear, owner has had the game for around 25 years ... BG very nice though ...

Update on the Xenon,  Sound board fixed, Thanks to Ratbag for burning 1 new sound ROM. 
Credit Display Problem:
 Not in Sequence with other displays, even in test mode , and only counting to 3 and then back to 1,2,3 1,2,3 etc. !@#
 Turns out it was a  short on messy soldering on the connectors on the Lamp Driver Board, ( I had to replace 3 Transistors and i wanted to check this board, The other 2 had been checked earlier)  Resoldering the connectors on the Lamp Driver this fixed the problem with the Credit Display and a odd Lighting problem it had had...

Game found a new owner he loves it , Actually played the game today and its good fun. But hard to the 2 ball mulitball

One-Ball!

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »
It would be awesome to see some pictures of the games you are repairing.
We only really hear about and see the games that all of us collectors have.
It would be cool to see some of these one of machines people have in their homes.
Do you think most people would mind if you took a photo or two after you finish repairing them?
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 02:18:11 AM »
 "Meteor" and AC/DC Pro.. today not much wrong , But wait!  Just a few switches not working , was the connector . one transistor replaced  for a feature lamp , and adjusted a few switches , IE slingshot and a few target switches...

But F my Dog there is a hole burnt  RIGHT through the solenoid board and wires coming from behind it to what  looked like a automotive connector cover in  insulation tape ,  Hackery 101. If i go back i will photo it .I cant believe it was still working , i didnt want to look behind the board to see , I did show the owner the problem ...

Also the usual wires all soldered on to the rectifier board connector pins  and a few other small hacks , Game going again  , but the game really did need some time spent fixing all the old "Fixes" that have been made in the past , It would need a full day to sort it all out i would say essp the solenoid Re-wiring and the connectors for the Rectifier Board ...
 But game apart from all that , it was in good nic  Playfield had full mylar all good plastics and looked mostly original,  Aussie made game (LAI)
 Still red in the Backglass and no crazing.

AC/DC pro, just a service , few lights etc , a few switch errors , fixed , and a clean up . Same house as the "Meteor" pinball...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:26:23 AM by ralph67 »
One-Ball!

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
"looked like a automotive connector cover in  insulation tape ,  Hackery 101.Also the usual wires all soldered on to the rectifier board connector pin"

Sounds like the same guy that did my Gilligans? Still working so I aint touching it yet!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »
"Sounds like same guy that did my Gilligans?" lol

I vote for pics too if u get some customers that don't mind - but if not then keep the great repair stories coming anyway. You've got to wonder if at some point the Meteor hack was close to setting the machine on fire  *.* 
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 04:52:06 AM »
 Worked on a Bally " Dolly Parton " on sat . No pics unfor #@#
 Another service and fix , No Controlled lights and 2 coils not working.
. The coils problem ended up being a bad 6820  PIA chip on the MPU. After much searching! ( altek replacement already installed in the game )  This chip handles the  momentary solenoid data .  Coils fixed!

Now the Controlled lamps?  No power at test point? What to do , All bridges tested good, i like to test them all anyway , but this problem was with the Diodes .
New Diodes had been  soldered on to old legs!! , De-soldered these properly and replaced the Power Supply's  4 x 4007 diodes that the  Controlled lamps  power goes through . Had had some work previous ( Shoddy See above  ) and re-soldered some connectors etc on the power supply, Also tweaked the fuse clips , they tend to lose the tension. Lamps fixed! .

Fitted new 12v filter cap to SDU , Had the original still , This needs to be done on most of the Bally/Stern  games i repair  .
 Game in great condition ,gave it a good clean , some new rubbers , a new shiny ball!  Tightened up a loose flipper shaft. Got all the lamps going again GI's and all the controlled  lamps .   Game  is being used the next Saturday night for a 18th , So will check up and see if its all good still during the week ...

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:04:26 AM by ralph67 »
One-Ball!