Author Topic: WTB DE Star Wars and Shrek  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Gruntis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong, NSW
WTB DE Star Wars and Shrek
« on: February 04, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »
Adding a few more games to the list

Anyone out there willing to part with a DE Star Wars or a Shrek.
First machine I ever owned was a DE Star Wars and I'm still kicking myself for selling it  ^&^ It's been too long now and I'd like to add it to the collection if ones available.
Also trying to get my wife a little more interested in pinball so I'm also looking for a nice Shrek. She and the kids love the movies so it'll be a real winner in our home.

Not expecting miracles as I know there are not many examples left around or that people are willing to sell but putting it out there anyway, might get lucky

Cheers

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: WTB DE Star Wars and Shrek
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »

Topis stickied, good luck!

Don't forget the new ROM available for SW - changes and improves the game dramatically from all accounts. http://www.pinballcode.com/
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »

Don't forget the new ROM available for SW - changes and improves the game dramatically from all accounts. http://www.pinballcode.com/

+1 the new ROM is a must. Good luck with the search.  ^^^

Offline Gruntis

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »
I changed the rom in the old one I had. Gotta say it makes a great pin greater.
Really should have got rid of it. But in saying that I had some nice pins since thanks to selling it.

Just hoping to be able to get one back, that or a Shrek. Now we play the waiting game  %.%

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:27:31 PM »
Not worth that money. Half that starting price.
I used to buy these for 2200 to 2500 tops.
If it's your Grail then four grand ish.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »
I suppose everything has gone up though, I think I paid 2600 for mine about 3 to 4 years ago.
It was nothing special when I got it.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
Cavey tends to under-price non-Stern machines IMO (no offence at all Cavey - just going on what I've seen). SW is a very popular DE machine - & with the theme it's heading only one way in price. I think you are will be at $5k for a good to very good example now. Having said that, $7k is seriously wishful thinking.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Gruntis

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
Argh Andy, got my hopes up bumping this thread  %.%

I still think Cavey is right, $4k is what a realy nice example is worth. When you're talking $5k you're in restored territory. Average example I think is still in the $3k range.

Still looking for those who are considering letting theirs loose and will soon have my JP up for a trade against one or one of a selection of DMDs. Just finishing off a few details on it.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
Haha - yeah sorry about that. I'd love a SW myself (not a Trek fan & for me it has to be the original) but I get the feeling they are tightly held now. Hope you are right about the price - good luck with it! If you find 2 let me know  :lol
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:28:27 AM »
I personally travelled the entire country buying machines from container importers.
I saw the cost prices paid by the importers who were and became mostly good friends.

Games like Star Wars Data East were C grade titles and honestly were being offered for retail $1400 to $1800 in QLd espescially. Lower for nice but needing attention, higher at 1800 for plug n play n needing absolutely nothing. If I didnt see at least 50 of these and almost every title you can imagine come out of containers, I would be underestimating the numbers easily. These games were on offer by overseas container exporters for $400 to $600 max.
I remember sitting with many importers and suggesting what titles to pick and why wtc.

A Data East Star Wats is not worth more than $4 K even if it was owned by the President of the USA.

I was buying brand new Sterns like ACDC Pro or X Men Pro or Star Trek Pro etc etc and so on for close to 6 grand and mid to just over mid 6 grand in BNIB - brand spanking new.

So why in hell would a game that is early 1990,s be worth the same as a mint HUO 2nd hand Stern Pro ?
It wouldn't be unless the person was on drugs or dellusional.

I believe I know the realistic prices of almost every DMD game and game afterwards cause I study the market thoroughly. It's of benefit to me cause I never want to pay a silly price that might embarrass me or cause me a loss on a pin at a later date.

The person selling can justify crazy prices to the emotionally invested buyer, but when you are not emotionally invested in the purchase and are standing on the sidelines, it's easy to see the mass inflation of pinball pricing.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
Cavey, the reason a DE Star Wars will be worth more than a 2nd hand Stern in future is the same reason a "chairs & flares" Dino will be worth more than a currently new Bentley. One appreciates because it is a classic & they aren't making any more of them.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 02:15:20 PM »
Totally disagree. A DE Star Wars will never be worth more than a good 2nd hand DMD Stern title.
But if people want to waste their $ on hyped up greedy cash grab prices then that's up to them.
I never did and won't be in the future. I respect my money too much to pay massive amounts over the odds.

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 03:34:58 PM »
I personally travelled the entire country buying machines from container importers.
I saw the cost prices paid by the importers who were and became mostly good friends.

Games like Star Wars Data East were C grade titles and honestly were being offered for retail $1400 to $1800 in QLd espescially. Lower for nice but needing attention, higher at 1800 for plug n play n needing absolutely nothing. If I didnt see at least 50 of these and almost every title you can imagine come out of containers, I would be underestimating the numbers easily. These games were on offer by overseas container exporters for $400 to $600 max.
I remember sitting with many importers and suggesting what titles to pick and why wtc.

A Data East Star Wats is not worth more than $4 K even if it was owned by the President of the USA.

I was buying brand new Sterns like ACDC Pro or X Men Pro or Star Trek Pro etc etc and so on for close to 6 grand and mid to just over mid 6 grand in BNIB - brand spanking new. 

May I ask how long ago was this ?

If it was when the AUD was around 1 to 1, then with what the AUD is now, then that explains some of the value ?

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 04:14:30 PM »
It's each to their own. I am not a huge fan of DE's - but my guess (& that's all it is) is that 2 titles will always be valuable & IMO likely to appreciate - GnR & Star Wars. Why? Because of the themes. Everyone from 3 to 103 knows about Star Wars & gunners will always have the die-hard fans. These machines are already showing an upward trend re prices & smart collectors are hanging onto them. Alternatively I can't see how a new Stern can do anything but depreciate, at least initially. As soon as you open the box or play that 1st game thats $1k gone. It's just the way it is - nothing wrong with it - most buyers know this but what they get is the nib exprience & hopefully perfect finish & flawless play.