Author Topic: Sign of the economy..  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Sign of the economy..
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »
Wasn't that long ago that these were changing hands for very good $$$'s... try buying one of these in USA and you'll be looking at a few grand minimum.
This one was listed for $1400 and didn't sell... now relisted for a grand which is VERY good buying for a limited rum EM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/D-Gottliebs-Co-Eye-Of-The-Tiger-Pinball-Machine-Sinbad-/271769115248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f46b39a70

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Re: Sign of the economy..
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:06:57 PM »
Not sure if it's the sign of the economy or that an EM machine just isn't that popular at the moment?

Some games in general seem to have a good run when they are in high demand and then over time, they just sit and sit on ebay. Each time, the seller drops the price.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
It doesn't look like it is in great nick.  I think most people into EMs are essentially buying them for their looks.  A DMD+ era came is always more fun.  So if buying for the nostalgia and looks, everyone factors in the restoration time.  Given you never get you money back on a fully restoration, it really means an unrestored machine isn't worth that much, unless its a title you are specifically after.

I bet it goes for a healthy sum after a full restoration and a clearcoat.

...Buying an EM is buying Art.  You aren't going to pay much for a roughed up painting.

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
good buying for a EM would be around $500 to $800 ..

and then on the title well that is another topic..

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 11:52:54 PM »
It does look like a good buy, but it is probably more indicative of buyer's financial management than a sign of the wider economy.

Pinball buying habits always seems to move like they are on a financial rollercoaster. There will be a flood of purchases for a few weeks/months, then a drought even though the supply itself hasn't really changed.

Best option is to simply become a latter day Noah and recognise when the flood is about to roll in as it inevitably does. Or save up the inventory for the next rainy day.  $#$

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »
I don't think it's the economy, it's the age of the buyers
Just like with cars, 20 years ago vintage veteran cars were getting good money, nowadays they are a hard sell with 60's and 70's cars fetching good prices.

It's all about what the buying market remember as a kid and wanting to re-visit that.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »

This is a rare game and generally considered quite collectable. I am not that surprised it didn't sell at $1400, but I certainly am at $1K and still there.

Pretty good player - I picked one up a few months ago for a collector and had a few games before forwarding it on - that one was in really nice condition, and played well.

This is the EM version of Sinbad.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »
It's pick up only and that limits the field a bit.
I think everyone should have at least one EM in their collection.
One day I will.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
As an economist I have to note the domestic supply does change - with each shipping crate of machines various vendors bring in - although usually DMD.

I agree EMs are about the look  - especially original but top condition machines. For playing enjoyment it's dmd that many players seem to prefer.

Btw, please excuse my lack of knowledge on EMs but isn't there another Sinbad that isn't "Eye of the Tiger"?   !@#
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:04:28 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »

Btw, please excuse my lack of knowledge on EMs but isn't there another Sinbad that isn't "Eye of the Tiger"?   !@#

Yes there is. Sinbad is the Solid State version of Eye of the Tiger. I'm not sure on numbers of either but not many Eye of the Tigers were built but by comparison there were plenty of Sinbad's.
Fantastic game by the way. Very simple rules but beware it will chew you up and spit you out very quickly. Defiantly amongst my top favorites. I haven't played Eye of the Tiger though but I'd imagine it to be just as good.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 04:07:56 PM »
Thanks Crashramp, that makes sense now! I thought I'd seen the other Sinbad a few times - but didn't know if I'd just missed seeing the "Eye of the Tiger" bit each time. Just for fun as you mentioned numbers I checked it out:

Sinbad Eye of The Tiger EM 2 Player - 730 units in 1978;

Sinbad (NOT Eye of the Tiger - diff backglass) EM 4 Player - 950 units in 1978.

Sinbad (NOT Eye of the Tiger) SS 4 Player - 12,950 units in 1978.

I don't know much about the current market but if it's in full working order I personally think $1k is not expensive for this machine - it's the rarest version & has a unique backglass while both 4-players seem to share the same or similar backglass art.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 04:28:31 PM »
Thanks Crashramp, that makes sense now! I thought I'd seen the other Sinbad a few times - but didn't know if I'd just missed seeing the "Eye of the Tiger" bit each time. Just for fun as you mentioned numbers I checked it out:

Sinbad Eye of The Tiger EM 2 Player - 730 units in 1978;

Sinbad (NOT Eye of the Tiger - diff backglass) EM 4 Player - 950 units in 1978.

Sinbad (NOT Eye of the Tiger) SS 4 Player - 12,950 units in 1978.

I don't know much about the current market but if it's in full working order I personally think $1k is not expensive for this machine - it's the rarest version & has a unique backglass while both 4-players seem to share the same or similar backglass art.

Which is why im surprised it hasn't sold... it is a collectors machine and priced very well

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
There are always containers coming in, and Euro stock shows no real sign of drying up any time soon. Some titles domestically are a bit harder to obtain but anyone willing to pay a fair market price usually has no trouble locating just about any specific title. That is what I inferred by supply doesn't really change.

I've been collecting pinballs for a while, have personally imported containers and have heard all the huckster talk for years about pinball machine supply being exhausted (Bumper's infamous spiel from 2006 - last lot of European machines found hidden in a cave in the Swiss Alps springs immediately to mind, second only to pinball machines are a guaranteed investment).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:39:47 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »
sign of economy or people just don't want EMs?

I know the game I want are those I played as a kid
I played Sinbad, not Eye of the Tiger

I love the big blue displays on Sys 1s
the EM versions look weird

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »
See.. im an EM man and not for nostalgic reasons, my main memory of pinball is late 80's early 90;s when I spent far too long in the pub south London.
I like EMs because I prefer the game play.. love the noise of the relays ticking over and find great satisfaction in fixing them.
DMD's while having much bigger games to play are far too complicated in game play.. EM,s are like reading a great article in a magazine... DMD's are more akin to picking up a novel by Tolstoy. Heavy and cumbersome to move around because the heads aren't removable and all too often the artwork package just doesn't cut it for me.
If I had the choice of an SS version of a game or EM... id go straight to the EM.
Mind you, that argument is always overridden by one title and that's a CV.. id buy one in a heartbeat if I could bring myself to drop that much coin on a toy