Author Topic: what older games still have unfinished rule sets  (Read 2301 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
what older games still have unfinished rule sets
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
Disregarding new games like acdc etc that may still require coding updates, are there any older games that have obvious incomplete rule sets. Also of those, are there hobbyist out there capable and allowed to modify and attempt to complete such games. Is there a black market for roms that have improved rule sets for any games?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: what older games still have unfinished rule sets
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »

One obvious one is Cactus Canyon.

I think modifying WMS ROM is extremely difficult without the software that the developers used - and even were it possible, WMS has copyright in the images so modifying would probably be an issue. The workaround has been using PROC like the Cactus Canyon Continued code.

The old DE games apparently saved their data in a different way, which allowed the Star Wars code update and also the upcoming Jurassic Park update. While its questionable who holds the copyright for them, Stern as de-facto possible owner has signed off on SW, not sure how the third-party licences for those particular games was dealt with (although I think that the changes did not activate any issues as the existing data was used and re-ordered etc only).
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »
Thanks. Where do home roms fit in? Can these be an avenue to complete or add functions to a game?

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
Cameron Silver worked on CV Home roms in his own time years after CV was released to pad the game out. Not sure of the legalities of whether Williams gave approval for this but the roms are set up as Free Play only so not really practical for onsite installation. What I have noticed is that neon multiball rarely comes up as a mode challenge in lieu of the slightly mundane Simon Says copycat mode.

The 9.4H TZ roms have similar enhancements and I believe the only way you can play a machine with a functioning 3rd magnet via the game software. Apparently you can can also lock a flipper coil in the hold position whilst a ball is being cradled, but I've never been game to try this for any extended period of time.

Here's the 9.4H multiball sequence being manually triggered on mine:

Was this thread started as a result of the "Where's The Code?" campaign currently in effect?  *)*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:38:08 PM by pinsanity »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
No just coincidence

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
I reckon 90 percent of 1990,s DMD games don't have the last and updated version of the factory Roms.
It equates to gameplay wise, to buying a brand new Stern and never updating code.
Both home users and operators were too lazy to add the latest Roms or didn't know they existed.

Anyone and everyone should look on the Internet Pinball Database and see what the latest rom is for their pinball machine. It can make a big difference and it really does finish the code and adds so much to a game.
Check all your machines and see what Roms you have.

I know that unfinished code on a game like Cactus Canyon is one thing, but games with the first ever Roms in it compared to the last ever programmed Roms feels very similar. Hope it helps.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »
Monopoly.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:11 PM »
Wheel of Fortune - 8 years is long enough.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »
Disregarding new games like acdc etc that may still require coding updates, are there any older games that have obvious incomplete rule sets. Also of those, are there hobbyist out there capable and allowed to modify and attempt to complete such games. Is there a black market for roms that have improved rule sets for any games?

Older Games - The pinball industry was more interested in catering for the operator. Rules were simple, and didn't need refinement. Having said that, the Gottlieb SYS80 /a /b had some very complex rulesets for their time. But none of them were considered "unfinished". Just very difficult to understand (during their operational cycle) - which may have been part of the strategy for players to continue inserting coins to learn the game. I remember pumping a lot of money in GTB Spirit and I still didn't understand it until recently. Code in old machines really tested the designers, or the designers wanted to push the coders. Either way, old code was never really developed until Pascal came along with his series of boards which added new features - but didn't complete "unfinished code" - more or less "enhanced" the code.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »
I reckon 90 percent of 1990,s DMD games don't have the last and updated version of the factory Roms.
It equates to gameplay wise, to buying a brand new Stern and never updating code.
Both home users and operators were too lazy to add the latest Roms or didn't know they existed.

Anyone and everyone should look on the Internet Pinball Database and see what the latest rom is for their pinball machine. It can make a big difference and it really does finish the code and adds so much to a game.
Check all your machines and see what Roms you have.

Im not sure that  this is the case.

Some Roms have been updated or added to etc but that's not to say that a finished game didn't leave the factory... more that nerdy enthusiasts developed a game further years after its release because A: they can, and B: they like to show how clever they are.
You cant compare a Rom upgrade to A 90'S machine which was released as a full game and stayed that way for 15 - 20 years to Sterns release of half a game and continued upgrades as they  finish it.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »
Of the fifty or sixty DMD games I purchased probably on ten percent had the latest Roms.
Even machines close to the final production run were still be shipped with early Roms even though updated Roms were available even before the machines left the factories. We're the Roms in those days more important for home owners or operators. Hard to say.
Changing various games over to the latest Roms, sometimes three or four updates later, made a huge difference with dot matrix and gameplay n scoring.
Updating Roms is the first thing to do on any second hand game.
Updating code on any Stern is also a definate must do for obvious reasons.
Maybe it was cheaper for the manufacturers back in the day to post them out to operators than to muck around pulling Roms off brand new boards and stuffing around burning the updates on new ones??
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »
BSD is unfinished imho, and only ever L1 avail for it to my knowledge..
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »
Apparently you can can also lock a flipper coil in the hold position whilst a ball is being cradled, but I've never been game to try this for any extended period of time.

Holding a flipper for extended periods in a WMS DMD machine is no problem unlike late model Sterns. You won't cause damage as you almost certainly would with a Stern.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pavlov Pinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
    • Pavlov Pinball
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 02:47:56 AM »
No Good Gofers has 6 balls but only a four ball multiball (maybe its 5). So seems that another planned multiball was never coded or the current one wasn't completed.
Editor, pavlovpinball.com