Author Topic: APR current backlog  (Read 9533 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
APR current backlog
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »

Due to a number of issues, we have fallen behind significantly on a number of projects within the restoration queue. Rather than email / PM, we thought it would be better to be "up front", and let members know. The restoration queue is well over 30 games at the moment, and the High End Restorations bear the brunt of the delays. I am currently working 7 days to catch up. The last 4 weeks has been tough, but we were already well behind the Eight Ball late last year.

All I can say is we need a bit more patience from and already "patient" customer base. We outsourced the DMD playfield restorations to our friends at Platinum Pinball to alleviate the workload, and this has helped. We have been referring on site repairs and also knocking back a lot of repair work. We currently do not do any work on warranty machines from other sellers (the infamous "Christmas Rush" pinballs - literally !)

At the moment, the demand for the High End Restorations is at it's peak. Things will level out over time - so we see this as a short term issue.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: APR current backlog
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »
Great to hear you are busy Nino. I am sure all those waiting on games will understand given all that has happened.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:19:19 PM »
7 days a week
You need to take a day off each week
There is no point burning yourself out

It is only pinball

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »
7 days a week
You need to take a day off each week
There is no point burning yourself out

It is only pinball

I don't really see it as a "job" - so there's no stress on my shoulders. It is more the waiting game that can get under the skin of customers as I'm not exactly known for keeping deadlines ! I just want customers to know that they are all in the same boat !

Sorry I was not in when you dropped by. Typical of me ! I hope you pop in again soon, Pete !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 01:56:00 AM »
I was passing by, had some time, took a chance

Alls good

Pete

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
I once worked 7 days a week for 12 straight years and never once took a holiday.
But I loved what I did and the money was massive.
But in the end I did get burned out and took 18 months off to play all the pinballs that work payed for.
The moment the massive money stopped the marriage went to crap. Great to know what people keep you around for. Lol

I also reccommend any person taking a day off per week.
Your wife and children NEED u in their lives more and you can't kiss and cuddle kids n wives if u are always away at work. Rich and lonely doesn't beat comfortable and surrounded by the ones u love.
Force yourself to take the time off.
I was working 7 days to clear the back log, but 12 years later I still had a backlog.
The backlog never goes away but your loved ones do.

Long live pinball and all those who love this great hobby and industry.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:33:53 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:49:36 PM »
People will always happily wait for quality.

If they aren't happy to wait, then they have a choice to do it themselves, which ofcourse, most can't.
In this crazy world of technology, people have lost the concept of patience.

You need to seriously look at putting on an extra staff person. Pay them a rate that works for both of you, teach them and the business will grow and get through the work.

I saw Kenny Priest run his pinball business up here and I watched his high end pinball restorations.
He used extra passionate staff when he was swamped and I watched the business closely for many years.
He paid an amount on a ABN basis and his contractors got paid a fixed price per machine. He oversaw a work, managed it and checked quality control.
Without getting extra staff, he would never have been able to keep his backlog down from 100 to 10 machines.

Getting extra staff at a lower fixed rate gives passionate pinball people a job they love and the smaller earnings are the bonus. You would be amazed how many people would be willing to get involved and a lot will already have skills.

The company who purchased Kennys business up here when he retired copied his model and it works very well.
Everyone is making money and the business is growing in size and turnover, not earning less. Food for thought.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
completely agree with taking a break rather than working 7 days a week .. life is more important and you only get one of those
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
And don't move too many heavy pinballs day after day or u will end up like me, requiring back surgery from tearing 3 disks with nerve damage.

Nothing nice about that when your mid forties. Lol
Sometimes we forget we are not spring chickens anymore. Doh !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
completely agree with taking a break rather than working 7 days a week .. life is more important and you only get one of those

I accepted that the first 2-3 years would be really hard, balancing work and young family. It is still fun, but there has been a lot of distractions lately. My son started junior football, and I've forced myself to help out so I AM away from work at least the equivalent of a full day a week.

And don't move too many heavy pinballs day after day or u will end up like me, requiring back surgery from tearing 3 disks with nerve damage.

Nothing nice about that when your mid forties. Lol
Sometimes we forget we are not spring chickens anymore. Doh !

I already have three prolapsed disks, but with proper management, it has seldom been a problem. Keeping active and losing weight is also a great help. I can't exactly remember the machine that caused one disk to prolapse - most likely a Bingo !

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »

I accepted that the first 2-3 years would be really hard, balancing work and young family. It is still fun, but there has been a lot of distractions lately. My son started junior football, and I've forced myself to help out so I AM away from work at least the equivalent of a full day a week.

That's great to hear Nino .
Our kids grow up way too fast !!! Our 2 girls are turning 20 and 22 this year .. completely unbelieveable how fast that time went !
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
I once worked 7 days a week for 12 straight years and never once took a holiday.
But I loved what I did and the money was massive.
But in the end I did get burned out and took 18 months off to play all the pinballs that work payed for.
The moment the massive money stopped the marriage went to crap. Great to know what people keep you around for. Lol

I also reccommend any person taking a day off per week.
Your wife and children NEED u in their lives more and you can't kiss and cuddle kids n wives if u are always away at work. Rich and lonely doesn't beat comfortable and surrounded by the ones u love.
Force yourself to take the time off.
I was working 7 days to clear the back log, but 12 years later I still had a backlog.
The backlog never goes away but your loved ones do.

Long live pinball and all those who love this great hobby and industry.

at least you still have your son around for his growing up period.I did not.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:48 PM »
Money don't matter, provided you are financially stable.  What does matter is finding happiness all the small stuff.

We are the fortunate ones that can get pleasure from simple things like shooting a ramp, or simply looking at a lit up pinball machine.  Much more satisfying to me than looking at a Ferrari.  Our passion may not be cheap, but it is affordable, even if that means only been able to play on location.

...Take a day off Nino.  I would rather wait a few more months for my restoration, than have any aspect of its quality compomised.

(By 'a day off', I mean you can take Christmas day off each year.  :D)

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »
Money don't matter
I've found the more we have the more we spend.