Author Topic: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production  (Read 57362 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Yes congratulations oldskool - enjoy it!!  ^^^  I really liked the resto u did on Dr Dude - so fully understand it would have been a big decision (I don't really know High Hand). Once you have yr hand in (so to speak) maybe post a vid  - or at least some pics. Cheers, Andrew.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
Two hour video of the game play, by 'Dead Flip':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU7xFbuv7rA

This play session continues live for the next few days roughly 8:00am to 10:00am EST, streamed on:

http://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip

Who are Dead Flip:
For those who aren't familiar with Dead Flip, they are a couple of guys that live stream themselves playing pinball several days a week.  They are based in Chicago, so Stern seem to now routinely give them new release machines for their show.  Without physical access to a game, their shows are the best source of finding out what a new machine plays like, as the shows are all long.  They post their shows on youtube within a few days of streaming live on twitch.tv.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:13:30 PM by Brunswick Brawler »

Offline Attackfromlars

• Forum Posts:
This game looks ok.

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
I watched a bit of Day 5 of Dead Flip this morning.  They mentioned that Stern has lowered the price of Big Juicy Melons.  I think they said its now $US5,500.  If that was true, that puts it in line with a Stern Pro.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
The discount of the game in the USA by Stern and/or its agents SHOULD mean the price in Australia should also come down.
It's like anything brand spanking new, the first people to buy always pay the most. Always best to wait for the dust to settle and get a better price at a later date.

Cars in Australia are a classic example, when the latest model Camry was released it was $30,990, now it's $26,490 with extras added. People who pay the high price must get pissed 3 months later when they see the price drop so much......

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
If what I heard on Dead Flip was true, I'd imagine all those who payed a deposit will get the discounted rate.  I think BJM only went into full production in the last week or two, so I'd imagine none have been delivered to customers yet.

Stern's web page still shows the original price of $US6,500.  Its worth prospective buyers keeping an eye on it over the next week:
http://www.sternpinball.com/games/whoa-nellie/whoa

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Here's a great pic from the Stern factory and something I never thought would come about again. Score reels rolling off the assembly line... BJM in full production!

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Here's a great pic from the Stern factory and something I never thought would come about again. Score reels rolling off the assembly line... BJM in full production!

Plus the uncluttered playfield, eye catching art, if this title gets enough operator interest, it might get the younger ones into pinball.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Very cool to see. Yep - this one might have a certain appeal to the young guys (& their dads of course) -  maybe even a few young ladies if they are that way inclined. I thought at first it might be a pic of a giant set of neon knockers adorning the Stern factory doorway (or the "Bing" as it is now known) :lol
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:24:20 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Just read the free Pinball Magazine supplement and am getting really, really excited for my big juicy to arrive.
The features and thought that have gone into this will be truly welcomed by me. Long have I said we need an original and unlicensed them and what better way than what these two clowns have come up with.  ^^^
If you haven't read this supplement, do yourself a favour. It is not just about WNBJM!
Am I still the only one in Aus who has bought one? surely not!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
If you haven't read this supplement, do yourself a favour. It is not just about WNBJM!

That would be on pinball-magazine.com.  It has other stuff in this free download as well.  Good read:

http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?page_id=1503  Download 'Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons'.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Just read the free Pinball Magazine supplement and am getting really, really excited for my big juicy to arrive.
The features and thought that have gone into this will be truly welcomed by me. Long have I said we need an original and unlicensed them and what better way than what these two clowns have come up with.  ^^^

If I wasn't farking around unnessecerily in family law court and wasting $ resources, I would have purchased this game on art alone it is that good. I am hoping that down the line AMD still has one in stock or can get me one etc.
It is an absolute stand out machine and would add a unique standout quality in any collection.

Even if Stern does another small run later, if AMD doesn't have one, it would be worth buying for sure and perhaps the pricing may also be a little less which seems to be happening. Any dollar saved is a bonus and invited on anything pinball.

You have bought a cracker of a game. Best artwork I have seen for ages. Colours or red n green remind me of Fishtales artwork which is excellent, only Big Melons is far better again. Best looking mon licenced pin for 20 years IMO.

Can't wait to see you get yours.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:45:50 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Ha - "I grew them myself"  :lol   The intro music to his videos is interesting - I expected a teletubby to jump out any second.