Author Topic: Desoldering equipment  (Read 3082 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Re: Desoldering equipment
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 06:36:33 PM »
1/2 hour! holy crap. I can lathe up a new tip in less than that!
Of course for that you need a thousand or two for a lathe, then you have to have the material in stock, and you really should plate it afterward so there's more tools & supplies.

But still...

*%*
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Marty Machine

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 06:54:03 PM »
hehehehe, i think i'll stick to cleaning the tips  :D

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

Hakkos are the way to go... Great irons...

I've heard whispers that Jaycar will have a new soldering / desoldering station that was to be released in Australia last quarter, but it did not conform to Australian standards - it needed an isolation transformer to be sold here. It should be out before christmas and be around the $200 - $300 as a solder / desolder station.

I'm waiting for that to be released - I'm not sure if it is a re badged iron or not..

I had a look at the Jaycar Soldering / Desoldering station a few days ago... not a bad unit by the looks of things, but can't be used to remove through hole parts. This unit is only for soldering and SMD re-work.

I was hoping to buy one, as I would like to leave my soldering iron and portable desoldering gun in my tool box for on site work... Ahh well, not this time.

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »
I think I have tried everything out there because mine is on all day everyday , As others have realized there isnt much out there that can touch the Hakko 701 for desoldering :)

Just a small tip for people that own them , Hakko calibrate their optimum desoldering tip temperature with the control at zero , (all the way anti clockwise)  , You will find when left in this position it will work perfectly all the time , if you try increasing the temp it will start melting the end surface of the desoldering tip , it will then become uneven and jaggered .
You will know fairly quickly because it will damage tracks easily and seem like it's not hot enough.

The best choice for anyone serious about board repairs :)

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 07:04:33 PM »
I have an Edsyn ZD500dx desoldering station which i find is excellent for all types of board repairs.
It's the only station i've owned or used so i can't compare it to any other brand.
So far it has worked flawlessly and is simple and easy to clean......i love it!
Made in the USA

I did a lot of research before buying and in the end It was a toss-up between Hakko or the Edsyn
I decided on Edsyn after seeing a lot of non-working Hakko's for sale on ebay US with missing or damaged handpieces and that turned me off them.
I'm sure Hakko desoldering stations are good as well as a lot of people rave about them.

I have had a Hakko 936 iron for years ,never a problem with it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Offline Jomac

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:18 PM »
I have an Edsyn ZD500dx desoldering station which i find is excellent for all types of board repairs.
It's the only station i've owned or used so i can't compare it to any other brand.
Made in the USA

I did a lot of research before buying and in the end It was a toss-up between Hakko or the Edsyn
I decided on Edsyn after seeing a lot of non-working Hakko's for sale on ebay US with missing or damaged handpieces and that turned me off them.
I'm sure Hakko desoldering stations are good as well as a lot of people rave about them.

I have had a Hakko 936 iron for years ,never a problem with it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thats an interesting looking unit , never it seen it before , can you get parts for it here in Aus ??

I've had the same hand piece on my Hakko for 8 years , you really need to maintain them as they are nearly $500 to replace , probably why you saw so many without hand pieces for sale.
The 936 Iron is interchangeable with the Iron on the 701 so really handy when an element dies .

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »
Made in the USA

Thats an interesting looking unit , never it seen it before , can you get parts for it here in Aus ??

I've had the same hand piece on my Hakko for 8 years , you really need to maintain them as they are nearly $500 to replace , probably why you saw so many without hand pieces for sale.
The 936 Iron is interchangeable with the Iron on the 701 so really handy when an element dies .

I think Mektronics are and Aus distributor for them but they are dear as poison compared to overseas prices.
I bought spare filters ,tips and other spares for it directly from Edsyn in the US....luckily just before our dollar shit itself #*#
The complete handpieces for these units are also around the $500 mark to replace so i'll definitely be keeping it well maintained also.