Author Topic: Clear playfield plastics  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Clear playfield plastics
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
What's the best material to use for clear playfield plastics? I was lucky to find some NOS Kings of Steel plastics for my KoS refurb but they didn't include the 5 clear pieces so I need to make some new ones. Do I use 2mm Lexan or is there something better?

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Clear playfield plastics
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:24:17 PM »
You got it, 2mm Lexan does the trick. Cnc router to cut it would be nice but I've done well with a manual scroll saw and ending with all ten fingers still attached  %.%
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:49:18 PM »
You got it, 2mm Lexan does the trick. Cnc router to cut it would be nice but I've done well with a manual scroll saw and ending with all ten fingers still attached  %.%

Thanks Rob.  ^^^

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:41:27 PM »
I've had the clear plastics cut and I'd like to flame polish the edges but I'm not sure what type of torch or equipment to use. If anyone has experience with flame polishing any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
I've had the clear plastics cut and I'd like to flame polish the edges but I'm not sure what type of torch or equipment to use. If anyone has experience with flame polishing any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to jump in after they are already cut but if they were laser cut there wouldn't be any need for polishing, the holes could be laser cut too.
Whenever I have made plastics I just polish them the old fashioned way with a buff.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
Flame polishing is difficult without a bit of practice. Timing is key to not heat and bubble the plastic. I used an old ramp to gauge the timing.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »

Sorry to jump in after they are already cut but if they were laser cut there wouldn't be any need for polishing, the holes could be laser cut too.
Whenever I have made plastics I just polish them the old fashioned way with a buff.

You're right. I've just pulled the paper backing off one and they're very nice as is. I think I was being a little pedantic.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
would be surprised in the plastic is lexan if it has a polished edge as lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate and this stuff is toxic to cut and flame polish.

acrylic is not good for plastic but the best compromise between the 2 is pteg as can be laser cut, clear finish, flame polish and tougher than acrylic and closer to polycarbonate.

most pinball plastics and ramps is made from pteg.

sorry I did not see the thread earlier, hope that helps
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:40:06 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:41:09 PM »
would be surprised in the plastic is lexan if it has a polished edge as lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate and this stuff is toxic to cut and flame polish.

acrylic is not good for plastic but the best compromise between the 2 is pteg as can be laser cut, clear finish, flame polish and tougher than acrylic and closer to polycarbonate.

Thanks for the info Jady.  ^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »

good point