Author Topic: Bally Bingo Cypress Gardens  (Read 14274 times)

Offline Austwide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
Re: Bally Bingo Cypress Gardens
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
Strangeways

Any chance of a straight on photo of the front and of a side of the Cypress Gardens to copy the artwork from?
All the pics on the net are from an angle which messes the scaling and shape a bit.

I should have put my bingo when I posted

Cypress Gardens, really bad shape, few bits missing, repainted playfield - but getting a lot of attention.
Hawaii- 20 hole bingo, very complicated compared to Cypress, mostly works, small cracks in backglass, 7/10 condition.

There's not many bingos around, even in this group. they used to be everywhere so I wonder where they all are. I think in an earlier post you said you dad to 90 to the tip one day, wonder if he did other trips.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »

Miami Beach - restored - but in need of a better playfield.
Beach time - In really nice shape. Will be restored

[/quote]

Okay okay, you had me at beach! love to see one, pics or sale?
[/quote]

No sale ! I actually have two, but one is for Daniel (DDSTOYS).

Strangeways

Any chance of a straight on photo of the front and of a side of the Cypress Gardens to copy the artwork from?
All the pics on the net are from an angle which messes the scaling and shape a bit.

I should have put my bingo when I posted

Cypress Gardens, really bad shape, few bits missing, repainted playfield - but getting a lot of attention.
Hawaii- 20 hole bingo, very complicated compared to Cypress, mostly works, small cracks in backglass, 7/10 condition.

There's not many bingos around, even in this group. they used to be everywhere so I wonder where they all are. I think in an earlier post you said you dad to 90 to the tip one day, wonder if he did other trips.

Are you local ? You are more than welcome to take photos etc ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
Hi  Strangeways
I'm about an hour away in Frankston area.
Sometimes I work out you're way, are they at APR?
If so can I call in during the day, just don't know when?

Andy

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »
Better late than never. I've been away from the forum for a couple of years.  !@)
I have 5 Bingos.
1974 - Miss America '75
1972 - Ticker Tape
1958 - Carnival Queen (1st machine with a Magic Screen)
2 * BNIB Tahiti - 20 Hole (My brother & I bought these from America in 2011ish.

Love me Bingos.

Cheers
Bruce
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »
I did play bingos as a kid for money, but as a home thing are they fun to have? I figure it would be like having a pokier machine where winning means not much. I sometimes struggle with pinball as the lure to winning a free game is gone. At least you have the challenge of trying to beat the highscore or complete the rule se etc. Would appreciate bingo fan thoughts.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2016, 10:19:06 PM »
Bingo machines are gambling devices. They have a 10c coin acceptor, but they had what we called a "notes" feature, where the guy behind the counter accepted your "notes" and clocked up the games on the counter. They are a SIMPLE game to master, and, they are a lot of fun. The idea is like "connect 4" - line your squares up with the corresponding numbers. "Buy" features such as the ability to move 4 numbers around, or "reveal" a new set of numbers.. Hard to explain, but easy to demonstrate. There's not much skill involved. It is the player against the features of the game - put more money into the machine and the ability to manipulate the playfield to increase your odds occurs. Tilt is set on the game, and you can literally lose money JUST by tilting the machine. No skill - but VERY addictive.

You are playing against the machine, for money - thats why they were called "money machines" by operators and players. When I was a child growing up, I saw walls full of them.

Nowadays - they are VERY desirable to own and play. Fixing them is a huge challenge. As far as artwork goes, these were the best art packages from any era.

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »
Like Nino stated.....hard to explain. Some Bingos are quite challenging (thinking wise) to be able to move the screen (e.g. magic screens) to be able to actually locate all the different ways of winning credits. You could easily miss some of them.
Like pinballs with 'High Scores', I like to think the same with the Bingo, but using the 'Credits'.
Getting a large credit win is very satisfying indeed.

Hmmm, yes, fixing them can be very challenging.  *!@

Those 2 BNIB Tahitis my brother & I bought never worked from new, they had some major issues with them. Which I believe someone knew about from when they were manufactured, hence why they were stashed away in a warehouse ??. There was 6 of them apparently.
Anyway......I love them.
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2016, 07:50:49 PM »
Great to hear, I'll have to keep an open mind when next considering a purchase.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 08:07:50 PM »
I was given both these, a Playfield and Backglass from Bally Variety ,I believe they were the last pieces a old operator in the South West had left , They came from his daughter , I turned them in to a wall hanging .
I do have the small score reset motor and a coil or 2 that was mounted under the playfield , If these leftover parts can help with getting your games going, free to good home , just pay the postage...
One-Ball!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »
I'll take them......no I don't have this game. Great gesture Ralph hope it helps someone out there and not someone flipping it on ebay etc

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
I was given both these, a Playfield and Backglass from Bally Variety ,I believe they were the last pieces a old operator in the South West had left , They came from his daughter , I turned them in to a wall hanging .
I do have the small score reset motor and a coil or 2 that was mounted under the playfield , If these leftover parts can help with getting your games going, free to good home , just pay the postage...

Rare to see such a nice backglass and playfield. I'd be all over it if it was a Miami Beach. I need an original playfield to finish off mine.

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 08:46:37 PM »
A bit of an update on the original Cypress gardens post.

After getting a BG off Daniel (DDSTOYS) I decided to go along with restoring the machine to original but keep the green playfield as thats how they were as I grew up and have almost no chance of finding an original one. I have considered the sticker ones from the UK, but decided against them budget Vrs need.
After replacing the front and rotted back and part of the side panels on the cabinet, I tried to find some original artwork. The head could be scrapped back to get a rough outline of the original artwork but the cabinet gave no clues other than what was behind the coin return and replay buttons. I found some pics on the net but none were square on. I made some stencils based on the pic measurements x the scale. I ended up with a cabinet that looks good sitting in the room but would fail any close inspection. I figure if I couldn't find how one should exactly be, no one is going to know.
I read in recent posts, that without money a stake, these are not real exciting to play. While that is a fair assessment and sometime I get a bit carried away playing them, but mainly play them to find faults to fix as that is where my fun is.
This one is missing a few parts, 8 step stepper, ball shooter, some playfield parts, trip bank relay armatures, extra step components, balls and more, but what is there all works now (maybe not tomorrow).
I came across a Carnival Queen ( I see a couple of you have one) which was almost complete during this work which did side track me, but that up and running only needing cosmetic work, so I getting back to this one.
I think I have attached a before and after cabinet shot, but when my laptop flew accross the room and ruined my hard drive I lost my restoration shots.
Thanks to you guys who gave some early advice.
Cheers Andy

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 08:52:33 PM »
Nimo
Some time ago we discussed that this CG was likely one of your dads old ones.
I found this sticker in the machine which should confirm it.
Do you or him remember the sticker?

Andy

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
Nimo
Some time ago we discussed that this CG was likely one of your dads old ones.
I found this sticker in the machine which should confirm it.
Do you or him remember the sticker?

Andy

I don't recognize the sticker, but Dad sold many bingos to other operators along the way. If it had the distinctive metal sheets on the front, then it definitely was - having said that - Gav (Retropin) found a Miss America that I'm sure was Dads - all the way in QLD !

Do you have more resto shots ?

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
Only a shot of outlining the artwork.
I lost the rest when my hard drive got smashed.
I even revisited my previous posts to copy the pics I posted back.