Author Topic: Bally Bingo Cypress Gardens  (Read 14157 times)

Offline Austwide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
Bally Bingo Cypress Gardens
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
Hi Guys
I have a Bally Bingo Cypress Gardens that really should go to heaven, but I am too addicted to Bingos.
I have a 20 hole Hawaii that I have more or less sorted so I have now dragged out the Cypress.
When I played these back in the 70's many were converted into "Baseball" machines due to them being illegal.
The playfields and cabinets were repainted, a solenoid operated bat replaced the shooter and the back glass replaced.

This one has the painted playfield, no back glass and the cabinet was repainted but has since rotted away the end where the head sits. The wooden rails were hacked off and replaced with SS metal ones. This machine can not go back to original due to no good cabinet parts.

I am going to rebuild it as a baseball themed game. I remember them better as that anyway. I am staying with the green painted playfield with white diamond. I will patch up the cabinet and paint that to suit the playfield. Not sure about the back glass, but will print something when  I think of something.

The wiring has been heavily modified which I will rip out and wire back to original.

This will be a big project but all the bingos seem to have disappeared and haven't found a easier one to fix.

I need a bit of help
As I said the wooden rails were hacked off. Can anyone send a photo of the profile and dimensions of the wooden rails so I can try to duplicate them on to the splintered wood I now have.

If anyone has a Cypress, can you tell me what's supposed to be in the lower cabinet so I can remove the contactor, proximity switch, stepper unit etc that I see as modifications.

The baseball bat setup is missing, anyone know any details of how they were? Probably end up going back to the standard shooter.

I need a long wet winter to keep me shed bound!

Cheers Guys
Andy

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Bally Bingo Cypress Gardens
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:10:20 PM »
Good luck with the project I have a cypress gardens Backglass ornfor something unique a custom Backglass or glasses for these games called fun machine if your interested in either

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 09:38:04 AM »
Sounds like you have one of my Dad's old Bingos. Where are you located ?

Unfortunately, I am not very good as these machines. I have restored a Miami Beach with Dad, but I did the cosmetic stuff. Dad and my Uncle used to fix these in their sleep. I do have a Cypress Gardens, pulled out of hibernation (hidden since 1991) - here is the thread - http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=12180.0

In terms of Backglasses - I might have a spare, or Daniel has one as mentioned.

There is a guy on Youtube that has some excellent guides - well worth the $

You have a unique project on your hands. document it here and you might have some assistance as you progress.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
I would like to play a BINGO machine one day. I too would look forward to seeing a thread on restoration.
Does this Dude also sell hair colour swell?  #@#
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »
Hair colour is the new Noir...

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:28:49 PM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.
I sort of knew where I was going with the Cypress, now I am not sure.
I didn't expect a backglass to be available, but now only a day later, there are 2.

Ddstoys, I am interested in talking to about your backglass, is that the one in Strangeways link? Also, what are the fun machines glasses you mention?

Strangeways, I should also talk to you about your backglass, is it the plexiglass shown in the link. The link you posted is fantastic, I believe this was once one of your fathers machines. I live in Melbourne and the machine came from Brunswick. My playfield is all green except around the holes and numbers with the same white diamond. The same ss covers were on the 2 front corners (now removed).
If someome can tell me how to post a pic I will put it on here with some progress shot from time to time.
Are the playfields converted to bats? I haven't seen the red covers before and you still have the shooter.
Yes I have Richards video set but need to get his hair color (hair too).

Andy

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't expect a backglass to be available, but now only a day later, there are 2.

Ddstoys, I am interested in talking to about your backglass, is that the one in Strangeways link? Also, what are the fun machines glasses you mention?

Strangeways, I should also talk to you about your backglass, is it the plexiglass shown in the link. The link you posted is fantastic, I believe this was once one of your fathers machines. I live in Melbourne and the machine came from Brunswick. My playfield is all green except around the holes and numbers with the same white diamond. The same ss covers were on the 2 front corners (now removed).
If someome can tell me how to post a pic I will put it on here with some progress shot from time to time.
Are the playfields converted to bats? I haven't seen the red covers before and you still have the shooter.

Andy

Make that 3... pretty sure I have a Cypress Gardens BG also

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies.

Andy

Dad installed the SS panels so the artwork was concealed. When these machines were being viewed as "gambling devices" there was an easy way to solve the issue - SS paned and place the games behind a curtain in a back room. These "back rooms" were in Carlton, Brunswick, Thornbury, Northcote Reservoir and Moonee Ponds. The original siderails were removed as they could be removed easily. Some had bats and some didn't. They were converted to remove the ability for the player to adjust the tension of the ball speed. Again, to foil the authorities - it became a game of "chance". The legs were sometimes removed and replaced with steel legs as they copped a pounding on site.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »
Converted to a bat game sounds interesting

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 06:31:29 PM »
Hi Guys
A pic of cabinet and playfield, no original artwork.

and a pic from Danny's bingo site showing a Melbourne Baseball bat bingo (not mine).

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:21:22 PM »
That's cool.  And answers a question I have one of them bats

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »
Here are some pics of the Backglasses

Offline Austwide

• Forum Posts:
  • Frankston
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
Wow the Cypress Gardens backglass looks so good. The Fun Machine doesn't jog any memories and I don't think anything else will.
I am starting to consider going back to original, probably depends on how the cabinet comes up.
That said, the playfield is a piece of history but may look strange with the Cypress backglass.
The other option is a different playfield or I think I saw playfield stickers.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this.
The bat Ddstoys mentioned - although I remember playing these with the bat I can't recall which button operated the bat.
I can try to trace the wiring on this one but when it came apart many years ago, the wiring didn't go through Jones plug and was cut to allow disassembly. Most wiring was fig8 and hard to trace. I don't recall when the bat could be operated, though the shooter is available anytime after the spin cycle so maybe it doesn't matter.

A photo of some of the modified wiring plus a large 240/110 V transformer.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 09:01:31 PM »
I recognise these from 70 Lygon Street East Brunswick!

I saw them in storage there about two years ago.  The location was then a vacant downstairs shop downstairs, and a boarding house upstairs for young Italians on working visas (I presume they were legal).

The then owner of the shop, and presumably those pins, owns DOC's on Lygon St Carlton, Faraday St Carlton and Mornington.  Nino:  From that info your dad could probably give you the history of where those pins were operated, and perhaps who obtained them from him?

When the vacant shop became a shop again, I held hope the machines weren't trashed.  I'm pleased to see someone got them for the purpose of attempting to restore them.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:03:18 AM »
I recognise these from 70 Lygon Street East Brunswick!

I saw them in storage there about two years ago.  The location was then a vacant downstairs shop downstairs, and a boarding house upstairs for young Italians on working visas (I presume they were legal).

The then owner of the shop, and presumably those pins, owns DOC's on Lygon St Carlton, Faraday St Carlton and Mornington.  Nino:  From that info your dad could probably give you the history of where those pins were operated, and perhaps who obtained them from him?

When the vacant shop became a shop again, I held hope the machines weren't trashed.  I'm pleased to see someone got them for the purpose of attempting to restore them.

They would no doubt once belonged to my Father's business. The painted playfield denotes it was his - he converted many Bingos to "Baseball" themes which the diamond an the green painted playfields (grass) is a giveaway. As to where they were operated - No idea - would be one of the many Italian coffee Shops in Lygon st / Sydney Rd.

These are popping up everywhere at the moment. I love hearing that they have been rescued. I know we threw out 90 in one day. I know at least 16 were hidden. I have 5, and relatives have another 5-6. But prior to the legalization in 1991, Dad sold quite a few to collectors - these were also in homes well before the "home collection" as we know it, started.