Author Topic: patching Williams ROMS for non-ghosting LED's  (Read 1424 times)

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
Re: patching Williams ROMS for non-ghosting LED's
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
I just set the GI not to dim on my 90's Williams/Bally DMDs and changed the ROM. No problems at all with ghosting. Wasn't that hard. As studley said earlier, Each to there own. If you don't like them don't put them in. After all its your machine to what you want with.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Definitely each to their own - but I put leds right through demo man & it has (in my opinion) transformed the game. The inserts are full of colour, plenty of gi illumination, no flickering or ghosting. I used noflix plus - expensive but worth every cent in my book. tried 4 other brands of leds too - they were not up to par. leds seem to suit demo man no matter how much you want to live in 1990  *.*  The lower power draw, lower running temp & far fewer bulb changes in the future are just side benefits - but i'll take them too.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »
think of all those greenhouse gases you are helping tp reduce.hehe :lol
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
nothing to do with greenhouse gasses studley - lower temp/power through 20 year old wiring can only be a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:48:37 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
Definitely each to their own - but I put leds right through demo man & it has (in my opinion) transformed the game. The inserts are full of colour, plenty of gi illumination, no flickering or ghosting. I used noflix plus - expensive but worth every cent in my book. tried 4 other brands of leds too - they were not up to par. leds seem to suit demo man no matter how much you want to live in 1990  *.*  The lower power draw, lower running temp & far fewer bulb changes in the future are just side benefits - but i'll take them too.

+1

There is another practical aspect to it as well. Given the locations of some globes in certain titles and having to tear down a section of the topside or underside of a machine to change one blown globe gives much better peace of mind with a matching coloured LED in place instead.

Yes, definitely shop around when you buy your LED's as well.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
I haven't had a bulb blow on me for years... normally replace all when I first get the machine, but then that's it. Most problems are with the holders themselves

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »
I haven't had a bulb blow on me for years... normally replace all when I first get the machine, but then that's it. Most problems are with the holders themselves
wish I had your luck Gav. I have replaced leds as well as globes
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
The globes behind the large yellow targets to the rear of the ringmaster head on a CV are just one example.

A hard hit from a ball will blow the globe(s) and the only practical way to reach them is from the underside of the playfield.

A warm white LED in lieu solves that.

Also colour coordinating LEDs on machines like CV look great.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:17:06 PM by pinsanity »

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 07:57:10 PM »
That is an upside - at least theoretically leds can take more of a beating than incandescents. definitely horses for courses - & agree some classic games should never have leds - but some are just crying out for them. when Jack Black said in School of Rock - "Don't tell me you guys have never let the led out" - well he wasn't talking about Zep.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 08:48:50 PM »
That is an upside - at least theoretically leds can take more of a beating than incandescents. definitely horses for courses - & agree some classic games should never have leds - but some are just crying out for them. when Jack Black said in School of Rock - "Don't tell me you guys have never let the led out" - well he wasn't talking about Zep.

how old are you?lol

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »
using the right leds in a sited machine is a plus, less heat.
there are some brands that are useless, they are nice and bright when installed but after a few months of home use they end up dimmer than incandescents
I don't believe in using the brightest leds in inserts, especially in a room with low lighting, it makes it harder to see the ball IMO
I fitted a few to my fire power and the blue inserts have so much more colour

I have seen a sited stern with factory leds (ac/dc) and after a year some of the inserts are no where near as bright as what they were when they were new.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »
I had LEDs fail in my bible after about 10 games,longevity.lol

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »
That was a code issue with acdc.  Apparently 2nd code ran them under their limit so they lasted longer