Author Topic: Stern USA - John Borgs next title due >  (Read 12505 times)

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
Re: Stern USA - John Borgs next title due >
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 07:53:27 PM »
Now now... Back to the thread:

The licence for Stern to build more Stevie Ritchie 2012 design ACDC machines has expired.  If Stern wanted to do a vault edition of that, it would require a new contract with ACDC.  There is nothing stopping Stern doing that except that I expect ACDC would request new artwork to reflect where the band is today.

I was refereeing to a completely new playfield design, under a completely new licence.

Why is this a good idea for Stern:

• The ACDC theme is likely the largest selling pinball machine in the ‘hipster erra’.  If a new ACDC theme produces 20% of sales of the 2012 licence, it would likely still be a solid production run.
  • I would guess at least 20% of pinheads who bought 2012 ACDC would by a new ACDC.
  • They already have a recent relationship with the ACDC licensee (presumably a good one).

Why is this good for ACDC:

• Any pinball is good for the licence, provide the artwork reflects what they want it to.  A pinball machine is a billboard for the licenses.  No licensee would say no to advertising that they get paid for, unless they feel it will harm their brand.
  • ACDC have years between albums, and have a new line up.  It would be in their interest to have a new ACDC machine themed on their current album Rock or Bust.

I never had interest in ACDC, until the I played the Stern pinball.  From that I thought I’d buy and listen to their latest release Rock or Bust.  I loved it.  It’s the first album of theirs that I had ever heard and I’m now a fan.  There would be more like me – why would ACDC say no.  Why would any pinball company not pursue a new licence.

Admittedly, the pinball company may not like the idea of a rock pinball machine that is specific to a single album.  But in this case you could really do another ACDC ‘greatest hits’ theme, as was done for the 2012 machine.  A RoB is an opportunity for the first time ever that a complete album was put onto a pinball machine.

I did pass on some of these thoughts to Stern a few months ago.  I didn’t get a response, and nor did I expect a response.  But with Crafty has a ‘portal’ to Stern, and if enough interest is shown here (or pinside), then perhaps we should push for it.  If there is a good vibe for a RoB, I expect Stern (or any pinball manufacture) would like to know.

…and what is an extra:  Everyone named Rob would find it interesting! [ie RockOrBust = ROB].
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:10:16 PM by Brunswick Brawler »