Author Topic: What is the best cleaning product ???  (Read 631 times)

Offline Richyrich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
What is the best cleaning product ???
« on: April 06, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
Wondering what is the best cleaning product you guys have come across??

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: What is the best cleaning product ???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »
You'll probably need to be a bit more specific.

What are you wanting to clean?

Offline Richyrich

• Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 03:49:27 PM »
playfield, rubbers, targets , cabinet ,balls, pretty much everything except the glass.
I think I have that covered.

Is there something that does all???

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
 A Roomba. Set & forget.

I'm a noob but I can tell you what I have learned. I like simple green - spray it on the rag not the pinball's surface. It is very effective at gently lifting dirt (forget the stuff about the machine being worried by water etc - it's been through (or will go through) many years of fluctuating humidity, far worse for it than the occasional clean. It can be used on playfield (not soaking of course) & on the cabinet. For hard playfields I like simple green,  Novus 2 then Novus 1. For plastics Novus. For metal Autosol. I'd be surprised if there's any product that does all parts - but IMHO Simple Green may go close. Some prefer Nifti.

Edit: Just adding a disclaimer this is on newer Bally/ Williams games (which are built like tanks). If you are cleaning a Stern please be careful as a light breeze can lift colour from the machine (or so I've heard).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:14:38 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
Millwax.
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
Heh - I've read plenty of posts about Milwax & seems people either really love it or really hate it. RichyRich may I ask the genesis of (or underlying reason for) your question? If you are indeed RR you could afford many cleaners & get Cadbury to do the buffing for you.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 05:16:26 PM »
Sugar soap or Meths

Offline Richyrich

• Forum Posts:
  • Mansfield, VIC.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 06:03:36 PM »
Heh - I've read plenty of posts about Milwax & seems people either really love it or really hate it. RichyRich may I ask the genesis of (or underlying reason for) your question? If you are indeed RR you could afford many cleaners & get Cadbury to do the buffing for you.
Nice one ,Andypinboy
unfortunately Im still working on that %.%{  my own Cadbury,that is}

I ask, because I just bought a pin and the playfield has some marks I cant get rid of.
It looks like just dirt that is worn in by dirty balls.
Ive tried Milwax,which is what I normally use,however,it is not getting rid of the marks.
Cheers

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
A possible option is a magic eraser but you must be careful when using them not to go right through everything.  I prefer to use them dampened with water or even Millwax or Novus.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 06:55:48 PM »
Nice one ,Andypinboy
unfortunately Im still working on that %.%{  my own Cadbury,that is}

I ask, because I just bought a pin and the playfield has some marks I cant get rid of.
It looks like just dirt that is worn in by dirty balls.
Ive tried Milwax,which is what I normally use,however,it is not getting rid of the marks.
Cheers

No matter what you try and use, if you don't allow for the cleaning solution to enter where the dirt is - you will never lift it out. Theres no magic magnetic attraction here.
ALL cleaning solutions work because the solution reaches the dirt.. loosens it and then you lift it out ( ME.. rag whatever).
ME works because its a super absorber and so will literally SUCK the now dirty solution out of the PF.. but as I have said many times... if the solution hasn't reached to the depth of the dirt, NOTHING will work... all you are doing is rubbing away artwork.
BUT!!! I hear you say... ME works if you rub it a bit... yes it does, but only because you have now pushed the solution down to the dirt... the rubbing to get there did a whole host of damage to your PF and was a pointless and damaging exercise.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
Also depends on what you are starting with, Diamond coat, wax, mylar - the list goes on and on.  ^&^
Through trial and error and taking EVERYONES advise and do a test spot under a plastic or under the apron first!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »
Others far more knowledgeable than me, who are trade spray painters have firmly recommended against Millwax, due to the fact it has silicone as an ingredient, which is near on impossible to properly remove.  This means it will be extremely difficult to get a good finish with any future paint, touch up, clear coat work.  Silicone also attracts dust/dirt, so i would steer away from Millwax for this reason alone.

In response to the posters question, i reckon the closest 'all purpose' cleaner is shellite - works a treat on dirt rubbers, works well in combo with magic eraser, and i always use as a first step with general cleaning, followed by a polish with Novus 2.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »
Isn't the whole idea to keep your playfield clean and the ball slipping and sliding around the playfield thus reducing wear?  How often am I going to be doing touch-ups, clearcoats and the like - preferably never in a home use only environment with a clean playfield and clean balls.

Having used both Millwax and Novus for many years I would happily use either and would lean towards Millwax.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »
Nifti is the best all round cleaning product for pinball. It can be used to clean anything except a backglass. Dad was using it in the 70's and I use it for almost everything.

Close second is Novus 2. Windex for glass and metal parts.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia