Author Topic: Twilight Zone spruce up  (Read 3695 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Twilight Zone spruce up
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:55:48 PM »
Got half way through the Easter break and decided to get my hands dirty. I will see how i go with this one, as bub number 3 is due in 4 weeks, so might be pushing it to get it done by then!

This was a machine i picked up off a local who collects/repairs but had too much on his plate so offloaded a couple of machines to me.  A few introductory pics - while machine is filthy, playfield is very good with no wear or insert movement.  Cab is pretty solid.

A few bits and pieces floating around the bottom of the headbox

Most of the clock in the coin box

Packet of ratsack in the base of cab...

Amazing the lack of wear around the slot machine kickout

Seen better days...

First part was to get the game to work before stripping.  The power driver board looked a bit tired, particularly J101 and J102 connectors which bring power in. So before starting the machine up, i replaced those header pins and plugs, as well as the GI header pins at J120 and J121. I have repaired quite a few power driver boards now, and 90% of reset issues have been J101 or J102 related.  I also performed the mod (which some consider a hack) of putting a 22 ohm resistor between the 5V regulator and ground, which bumps the voltage output up to a solid 5 to 5.08V.  The 5V regulator can be within spec from the factory, and still cause reset issues - this mod overcomes this problem.

Machine then powered up with all the correct voltages.  Then it started resetting - i started methodically working backwards from the MPU board - and the header plug on the MPU (not pins on the board as it was a new Homepin replacement MPU) had a dodgy connection - replaced this plug, and no more resets.  Then the sound was very loud, and unable to be turned down (even though the DMD showed it should have been decreasing), i replaced the 47uf cap at C18 (part of the volume control circuit), and all was good!  Went through a few basic tests, and everything appears to function OK - a couple of coils not working, but will test them one by one during reassembly.  Clock was in pieces, but i will replace it with one of Ingo's aftermarket boards which are pretty much bulletproof.

So hooked in and stripped the playfield.  Some people are very organised and pedantic about putting parts in bags, labelling each part and putting the associated screws with each part.  I tend not to both - i take a digital photo of removing each part (pointing to it). Like below - this way, review pics in reverse order and its very easy to reassemble.

This also means, i can just dump everything in one spot - i put all the screws and nuts in one bowl, there are really only a few different sizes, and it it fairly obvious which ones are used in each place.

The wireforms had a bit of rust on them

Soaked them for 24 hrs in oxailc acid, and brings them back to almost like new - this can only be used for chromed parts - plated parts will come out looking much worse!

Then took the cab out to the shed, stripped everything out, and have started removing decals.  I find the heat gun and paint scraper works really well - prob 10-15 mins per side of the main cab to remove the decal

Offline shaneo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canbraahh
Re: Twilight Zone spruce up
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:18:27 PM »
Nice work - how it the mdf bottom panel?

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
yep. will have to replace the base of the cab.  its too far gone to sand back

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:54:31 AM »
Looks like you will need a longer Easter break ! That game is a real challenge, but looking at the playfield, it should come up a treat. I suppose it is a good thing to get your hands dirty on the pinball before the newborn takes up most of your free time - congrats !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
 I wish my wife was that dirty. Looks like it's been near the beach? How do u tell the bottom mdf is too far gone? (.eg. experience, u can push yr finger through it, other...)?
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »
Excellent work,

Should make a cover for your pool work table,

keep up the restore posts,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
Always love your Resto threads.

The before and after photos are amazing and showcase your resto talents.

Well done.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 07:05:50 PM »
 %.% Just read the thread title. Looks to be a bit more than a spruce up! Look forward to seeing the end product.  ^^^

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Re: Twilight Zone spruce up
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 07:13:31 PM »
I wish my wife was that dirty. Looks like it's been near the beach? How do u tell the bottom mdf is too far gone? (.eg. experience, u can push yr finger through it, other...)?
you can generally see where it has swollen in patches and these are almost impossible to sand out nicely. Some bases also get a bit of a bow in them.  The rear of the headbox was pretty good bit there was one streak where water must have splashed and sat when the headbox was down, so i replaced it.

Got the cab and headbox all bogged, sanded and primed today. Will throw a few pics up later

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »
Spent a fair bit of time over the last few days bogging and sanding a few dings in the cab and headbox.  Replaced base of cab and back of headbox as the MDF had some slight water damage.

Then today, primed the cab, and painted black..

Also used used this handy holecutter for the speaker

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »
Great pics and info, Rob. Might try this with my ramps on TSPP before getting them chromed. Might save some money.

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 08:22:09 PM »
Also love reading your restos Rob, thanks for sharing and I will be watching with interest as TZ is one of my favorites.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Re: Twilight Zone spruce up
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »
you can generally see where it has swollen in patches and these are almost impossible to sand out nicely. Some bases also get a bit of a bow in them.  The rear of the headbox was pretty good bit there was one streak where water must have splashed and sat when the headbox was down, so i replaced it.

Got the cab and headbox all bogged, sanded and primed today. Will throw a few pics up later

Thanks - good to know. I often see a game for sale that has at least one drink spill (at the front) - but can never tell how bad the damage is. Sounds like: 1. look for a bow including from underneath;  & 2. run yr hand over it is at least a start.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:54:12 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline turbo27

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 01:24:29 AM »
Nice post Rob
Descriptive and informative supplying excellent information for 'us' amateurs to improve our techniques
Cheers

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 06:21:39 AM »
Thanks for the comments, but turbo27 - i am certainly an amateur, i've just enjoyed getting in and giving this a go  sometimes you think you have gone in a bit too deep, but then thats how you learn new skills or techniques!

Sanded back everything and installed the new cab base, then brought the cab inside to do the main decals.

I have made up a plug for the hole where the coin door goes - this way, the decal doesn't sag in the middle and cause creases when you apply.  I did the front the wet method - hence the tape and newspaper covering the base of the cab

I cut the backing off 1/4 or so of the decal, then reapply the backing, but with an overlap underneath. This way, i apply that small section first (as pictured below), with a heavy weight on the rest to make sure it doesn't move, then move the weight to the applied section, and peel back the backing on the remaining section and apply it.

For some reason, i always seem to wait until my wife is 8.5 months pregnant when i need her help to apply decals...

All done with the main cab, just need to cut out a few more holes